Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Funny, a few months after applying to Apple, I finally get an email inviting me to their interview event banquets they do and the manager of the store I applied to(well one of them) told me he wants me to work there. I already got a job in IT that I love. Apple would pay me more, but I'm a PC.

Never hurts to be well rounded and have Mac experience. Not that I'm saying quit your job either.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a little nervous, at my current job (which I have been looking for another for about a month now because they are just really messed up to sum it up) I just got an appointment with a large chain of stores that would give me a VERY substantial bonus (as in all of my debt would be gone, school, car, etc.) at the end of September in 3 weeks. But I am in talks with 2 other companies that are looking to hire immediately (salary would be more but I would not be getting a bonus like the possibility of the one that may be coming up - although I would rather be working for these other 2 prospects because my skills will be utilized much better) leading to me putting in a 2 weeks notice. I am nervous because if this appointment goes great, which I think it will, I will be set for a while, but...

A. Will they give me problems and pay me if I put in a notice before or after this chain agrees to purchase?

B. I may be risking a chance with the other 2 companies that I would rather be working for

I have been trying to weigh my options for about a week now because I know an answer from these 2 will be coming shortly...anyone else ever been in a situation like this? Everyone that has college debt, etc. can probably see where I am coming from, if you have a chance to get everything paid for, it's a huge relief.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Anyone have any salary negotiating tips?

Also, I assume it isn't a bad thing to ask for a couple days to think about an offer, but what if pressured for an answer quickly?

Finally I'm having some luck with this job hunt.

Just ask!

Also asking for time to consider the offer is perfectly acceptable.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Job interview on Tuesday in Arlington Heights!

I felt the interview went well. My gut says I wont get it. I dont think my professional experience is exactly what they are looking for. Most of my experience is in a Windows environment. The place I interviewed for is 99% Macs. While Mac is my PERSONAL preference and the only computers I have at home, I dont think my professional experience will be enough for the positions.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
I felt the interview went well. My gut says I wont get it. I dont think my professional experience is exactly what they are looking for. Most of my experience is in a Windows environment. The place I interviewed for is 99% Macs. While Mac is my PERSONAL preference and the only computers I have at home, I dont think my professional experience will be enough for the positions.

Hey you never know. Good luck.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Hey you never know. Good luck.

Thanks! and I agree. I tried my best to say that Mac are my personal preference and where I work would be 100% macs if our software wasnt so Windows centric and I had the money.

On a positive note, they use Google Apps with their e-mail, which I have a TON of experience with. So, that's a plus!

So I was extended an offer this past Friday. The salary and vacation days are a little lower than I want so I'll obviously counter on those items. The other benefits are outstanding.

The HR rep I talked to over the phone let me know that a separate person from a 3rd party relo service would contact me over the weekend with the details of the relo assistance. She called last night and listed the relo benefits. Pretty much everything is great except for the most important part, the duplicate payment allowance (paying rent in Seattle while still making mortgage payments in Chicago as we try to sell our condo). They gave us 2 months worth of duplicate payment coverage which basically means we'd have to immediately get someone to buy our unit since all the paperwork and closing stuff will likely wind up taking about 2 months. It's unlikely that we'd get a buyer so quickly. We already decided that we don't want to sublet the unit since it would be a stressful burden being 2K miles away in case something happened and we don't want to start paying a property manager either. Plus we'd still be paying association dues while we are renting and it's doubtful we'd get someone to pay rent that would come close to covering the mortgage payment. We'd be willing to sell for less than we owe if they provide some assistance with that as well. The relo person understood my concerns and would get back to me tomorrow with hopefully a different package (I asked for at least 6 months duplicate payment allowance).

I really think they want this to work and will be able to accommodate us. :pray

On a side note, the HR person asked me on the phone if i would like to set up time with the director of the department (my new manager) to talk. I was caught off guard and said 'of course'. She asked if I could speak that night (last Friday) or if I prefer Tuesday (Tomorrow). I said Tuesday would work better but I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the call. I haven't even accepted the offer yet so I'm not sure what I would want to discuss. I had already asked her in our last interview what she expected my first 3 to 6 months to be like if I were to be selected. So far the only things I could think of discussing are (1) thanking her for selecting me and (2) asking whether I should start getting involved in weekly updates via phone or email until my start date. Anyone have thoughts on what I should discuss with her?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Congrats Sqwert!!

Is your acceptance lingering on the pay and such that they offer? It may be good to move that meeting time to after you accept.

Thanks. My acceptance will mostly depend on adjustments to their relo package. As it stands I don't think I can accept the offer. I am confident they will make some adjustments to make this work.

Regarding the phone call....the HR rep even offered for me to talk to the director that same evening, knowing I wouldn't have accepted by then. I may just keep it and just briefly touch base. I may even mention that we're trying to iron out the relo package in order to move forward.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Thanks. My acceptance will mostly depend on adjustments to their relo package. As it stands I don't think I can accept the offer. I am confident they will make some adjustments to make this work.

Regarding the phone call....the HR rep even offered for me to talk to the director that same evening, knowing I wouldn't have accepted by then. I may just keep it and just briefly touch base. I may even mention that we're trying to iron out the relo package in order to move forward.

Good news, Marko...what does the typical relocation package offer in terms of assistance with your home?

A good friend of mine moved from Vegas to Portland and turned his home over to a property management company. It's not ideal, but if it allows you to make such a huge change in your life that you really want to make, perhaps you should look more into that option...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Good news, Marko...what does the typical relocation package offer in terms of assistance with your home?

A good friend of mine moved from Vegas to Portland and turned his home over to a property management company. It's not ideal, but if it allows you to make such a huge change in your life that you really want to make, perhaps you should look more into that option...

The sticking point is the duplicate housing assistance. They're only offering enough to cover 2 months of our mortgage. There are some other aspects of the relo deal that are quite nice though. I'm trying to have them modify that one sticking point and I should be hearing back from them tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll be having a real estate agent stop by to give us a sense of what we can sell our unit for and for how much.

I really want this to happen so we'll explore every option available to us.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
The sticking point is the duplicate housing assistance. They're only offering enough to cover 2 months of our mortgage. There are some other aspects of the relo deal that are quite nice though. I'm trying to have them modify that one sticking point and I should be hearing back from them tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll be having a real estate agent stop by to give us a sense of what we can sell our unit for and whether we might be able to sell it in a reasonable time frame.

I really want this to happen so we'll explore every option available to us.

Gah! Typing from my phone. Was trying to edit a previous post of mine but wound up quoting myself.

Edited by BigSqwert