Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

Had my interview this morning. It was a really great experience. The interview actually started with a brief tour of the campus to see the various classrooms and learning spaces that I would be supplying support to. I think I managed to keep the drool in my mouth. (These classroom technology setups are almost EXACTLY what I would love to install where I am now, but I have no budget to do that)

By far this job has gotten me the most excited. I think I may have been one of the first interviews for the position, so I'll know in about 2 weeks if I got the job.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
Are the people who do internship interviews for your company typically HR people, or regular workers? I only ask because I interviewed with your company a year or two ago, and the guy seemed decently competent (actually I take that back, he forgot his business cards). I think it was for some generic sounding "Supply Chain Analyst" position.

Interviews are conducted by a range of managers who most likely will be in the pool of managers actually hiring the people, giving them the chance to see who they actually like. Of course, some of the managers put forth more effort (even in the interview stage) when it comes to bringing in interns, and some don't take it as seriously as they really should.

I was fortunate to have been interviewed by who is now m manager and sr. manager, and I connected with them really well. I am also very fortunate to be under management that actually cares about the intern and their progression and I have been active in improving the intern program to make sure that every intern has the same experience I have had last summer and this summer.

Im actually shocked by your interview though, SC here has a very solid program for interns and they usually have their act together. It's departments that we are expanding the intern program into that seem to struggle more with it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Dang. Didn't make the final cut for a Director position with Nordstrom in Seattle. Oh well. Have a final interview with another reputable organization tomorrow though.

Got your message bud....hold out hope for the other reputable organization :)...I think that is still an awesome opportunity!

Keep your head up!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
Is this in Chicago or the one in Austin?

Austin

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
Got your message bud....hold out hope for the other reputable organization :)...I think that is still an awesome opportunity!

Keep your head up!

Thanks Mark

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Had my interview this morning. It was a really great experience. The interview actually started with a brief tour of the campus to see the various classrooms and learning spaces that I would be supplying support to. I think I managed to keep the drool in my mouth. (These classroom technology setups are almost EXACTLY what I would love to install where I am now, but I have no budget to do that)

By far this job has gotten me the most excited. I think I may have been one of the first interviews for the position, so I'll know in about 2 weeks if I got the job.

Just got an email, they will be calling my references in the next few days. That has to be a good sign.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Just got an email, they will be calling my references in the next few days. That has to be a good sign.

Indeed. Best of luck - but when they get to that point it's pretty good.

A bit of a random question:

At the end of the three interviews I have had, they typically end with "do you have any questions?" The ones I normally think of are work hours, on-call time, and compensation (pay). Is there anything else I should be asking that I am not thinking of?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)

At the end of the three interviews I have had, they typically end with "do you have any questions?" The ones I normally think of are work hours, on-call time, and compensation (pay). Is there anything else I should be asking that I am not thinking of?

I usually ask what their time table going forward for the interview process is.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)

If there's something creative but relevant you can ask about the job itself, that would be a good opportunity. I've got a couple of those in my back pocket I've come up with if I can ever score a faculty position interview. Something that shows you've thought about the place/career more than their other candidates.

if it's at the end of the interview and you add some creativity to a question, then that's the sort of thing an interviewer might remember.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)

Yes. Like:

What is the short/long term strategy of the organization? (questions that show that you are interested in this particular organization)

What would my first 3 months look like if I were to take on the role?

How would I be able to make your job easier here?

For more

And I would avoid questions about compensation or other benefits. You can work those out once you get an offer.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
And I would avoid questions about compensation or other benefits. You can work those out once you get an offer.

I say something along the lines of "This tends to be the uncomfortable question: but when is the proper time to discus compensation?" One of my interviews actually told me the pay (or the pay range) before I even interviewed.