Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

Woo hoo!!! I have my first job interview scheduled for next Tuesday! It's in Iowa, so I'll need to make a round trip drive that day, but that's ok. I honestly dont know if I would take the job if offered, but I think going through the process would be very beneficial to me.

Oh crap, I need to buy a suit. lol

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a quick work of advice. Earlier this year I applied for a job that I was VERY VERY interested in. I got to the phase where they contacted my references (one of my references was my supervisor which, as I said in another post, I have since learned actually had no clue what i do). Ultimately, I was not interviewed for the job. I recently logged into the companies job's site and it is listed as "cancelled", which means they chose to not fill the position at this time and they might reopen it in the future.

Is it "pushy" to contact the HR person and see if the position will be reopening soon?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
I need a quick work of advice. Earlier this year I applied for a job that I was VERY VERY interested in. I got to the phase where they contacted my references (one of my references was my supervisor which, as I said in another post, I have since learned actually had no clue what i do). Ultimately, I was not interviewed for the job. I recently logged into the companies job's site and it is listed as "cancelled", which means they chose to not fill the position at this time and they might reopen it in the future.

Is it "pushy" to contact the HR person and see if the position will be reopening soon?

Not at all. What are they going to do, not hire you? Check and see. Odds are they don't respond, but it can't hurt.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
On my way back to Chicago after a successful interview in Seattle for a major company. Hopefully I make the final cut of interviews.

Good luck! Didnt you have an interview in Portland a while back? Are you purposely targeting the NW or is that just a coincidence?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Good luck! Didnt you have an interview in Portland a while back? Are you purposely targeting the NW or is that just a coincidence?

Thanks! That was a year ago and yes the NW is on my list. iamshack recently interviewed with an organization in Portland. Perhaps you had us confused.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Thanks! That was a year ago and yes the NW is on my list. iamshack recently interviewed with an organization in Portland. Perhaps you had us confused.

I'm pretty sure I am remembering you. lol Either way, good luck! I'm hoping to head the exact opposite direction (SE) lol.

Day 1 was great. The day flew by and I even stayed an extra hour to set up my new laptop and sync all my log-ins and stuff. I figured I would have been ready to leave right at 5, but I was feeling good so I just stuck around.

Not a bad commute either, considering Atlanta traffic is horrible (not that I have to tell you Chicago folks about horrible traffic) - 29 minutes in the morning; 36 minutes to get home..

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Day 1 was great. The day flew by and I even stayed an extra hour to set up my new laptop and sync all my log-ins and stuff. I figured I would have been ready to leave right at 5, but I was feeling good so I just stuck around.

Not a bad commute either, considering Atlanta traffic is horrible (not that I have to tell you Chicago folks about horrible traffic) - 29 minutes in the morning; 36 minutes to get home..

Better than me and I live less than 10 miles from work lol.

Day 1 also went well. Lifted boxes, bonded with some guys from the office, had lunch with my boss and the other intern, took a tour and began working on qualitative research for our marketing presentation on the 22nd. I feel like I'm learning something which is good.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
Day 1 also went well. Lifted boxes, bonded with some guys from the office, had lunch with my boss and the other intern, took a tour and began working on qualitative research for our marketing presentation on the 22nd. I feel like I'm learning something which is good.

Nice. You did well getting an internship like that - soak in everything you can. The experience will (hopefully) be invaluable.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)

Just a follow up, I contacted the person and she wrote me back this morning. She said there were very few qualified applicants for the position and the person they offered the job too declined. They will be redefining the position a little and reposting it in a 4-6 months. I'll be ready with a buffed up resume and a better list of references which does NOT include my boss.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Thanks Mike!

And I just had a successful phone interview with another major company in Austin, TX.

Stop bragging...you don't know if it was successful or not unless they offer you the job... :P

No, I kid...sounds like you're on a roll...keep it going!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Stop bragging...you don't know if it was successful or not unless they offer you the job... :P

No, I kid...sounds like you're on a roll...keep it going!

LOL. Well he said he'd definitely schedule me for another interview. That sounded like a success to me. :D

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Thanks Mike!

And I just had a successful phone interview with another major company in Austin, TX.

Just got invited to do the in-person interview. Woot!

They just sent me the itinerary so it's official. In the previous phone interview they just mentioned that they'd like to see me at some point.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Just got invited to do the in-person interview. Woot!

They just sent me the itinerary so it's official. In the previous phone interview they just mentioned that they'd like to see me at some point.

Yes!

You're on a roll!

So can I have the job that you turn down? You could just be like "Well, I'm actually off the market, but I can recommend my message board friend to you..."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Yes!

You're on a roll!

So can I have the job that you turn down? You could just be like "Well, I'm actually off the market, but I can recommend my message board friend to you..."

No doubt. I already bring copies of your resume with me to all my interviews.

I had an interview in Iowa yesterday. I thought everything went very well. I felt comfortable and relaxed. And, I passed the the tests they put me through. :) After the interview, I stopped by my in-laws to pick up my stuff before heading home. When I pulled into the drive way, I got a phone call from another company who wanted to interview me next week. I explain that I was already in town to "visit family" and they agreed to do the interview as soon as I could drive over. how about that for luck, huh?? That interview went well too.

As I was getting into my car, I had a voicemail from ANOTHER Iowa job that wanted to do a quick phone interview to go over my resume. Seriously, 3 interviews in one day, when I only had one planned. Kinda cool actually.

It was interesting to see a few common questions that ran through all of the interviews. The most interesting question: "How would you explain an database to a 5 year old?"