Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 24, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Congrats, Art!

But you never told us how things played out with Company A and Company B?

First of all, thanks everyone for your congrats. :)

Secondly, the company that was supposed to call me back in this story (Company A) NEVER DID. I was really surprised too because we had a great conversation but maybe the recruiter just couldn't get the local office on the same page. Oh well, I am not going to sweat it. :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 24, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
First of all, thanks everyone for your congrats. :)

Secondly, the company that was supposed to call me back in this story (Company A) NEVER DID. I was really surprised too because we had a great conversation but maybe the recruiter just couldn't get the local office on the same page. Oh well, I am not going to sweat it. :D

yeah, the whole no call or letter back sucks... interviewed with potential co-workers for like an hour, called me back the next day and wanted me to come back in the following day for an interview with the boss, had a great interview then never heard from them... annoying.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
A lot of jobs I apply for have an option on the application that says "May we contact this employer?". Is it considered a negative if I say no?

I don't think so. I typically leave that field blank anyway and if they really want to contact them they'll ask me.

So I was given an offer from a company to oversee their operations in a certain business outlet of which nobody at the company has a clue how to deal with (so right away I am in the drivers seat) and I can make a substantial amount of money doing. The issue is....

I was offered a base salary and generous bonus' and commissions on quotas to meet which I like. However, If I don't make a quota (which in this line of business, can be very difficult as the customer can get the product in numerous different ways other than in the configuration of how he would like me to sell it) he had proposed taking deduction out of my BASE SALARY for any quotas not met. I had let him know that I will not accept this

He had then proposed that any quota not met will then be deducted out of a future commission check had the quota been met for that respective month, saying that he wants to make sure that they are not wasting their $ on my base salary, training, etc. (even though he knows that my current job has a HIGHER base salary than what I would make there, I am obviously not content with that if I am deciding to leave.)

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Deducting a commission based quota out of a base salary or even a future commission check? WTF? I was always under the assumption that you get paid for what you sell but I do not know if this is something new that I have never heard of.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
So I was given an offer from a company to oversee their operations in a certain business outlet of which nobody at the company has a clue how to deal with (so right away I am in the drivers seat) and I can make a substantial amount of money doing. The issue is....

I was offered a base salary and generous bonus' and commissions on quotas to meet which I like. However, If I don't make a quota (which in this line of business, can be very difficult as the customer can get the product in numerous different ways other than in the configuration of how he would like me to sell it) he had proposed taking deduction out of my BASE SALARY for any quotas not met. I had let him know that I will not accept this

He had then proposed that any quota not met will then be deducted out of a future commission check had the quota been met for that respective month, saying that he wants to make sure that they are not wasting their $ on my base salary, training, etc. (even though he knows that my current job has a HIGHER base salary than what I would make there, I am obviously not content with that if I am deciding to leave.)

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Deducting a commission based quota out of a base salary or even a future commission check? WTF? I was always under the assumption that you get paid for what you sell but I do not know if this is something new that I have never heard of.

If they are taking ungained commission amounts out of your base, then its not really a base salary at all - its a straight commission paid job, and they are trying to make it seem like something else. I'd be leery of someone trying to pull such a trick.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
If they are taking ungained commission amounts out of your base, then its not really a base salary at all - its a straight commission paid job, and they are trying to make it seem like something else. I'd be leery of someone trying to pull such a trick.

I agree. Base salary is a base salary. If they are taking out if it, it isn't really your base.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I agree. Base salary is a base salary. If they are taking out if it, it isn't really your base.

Bingo. Your base salary is supposed to be fixed. So regardless of what you do or what you don't do, you're still at least getting your fixed salary for doing things such as showing up to work and doing everything you're supposed to do other than completing the sale. Even if you do not make quota, they shouldn't take it out of a future commission check, because then, you're not even getting commission as promised, but rather a small bonus.

I'd probably stay away in this case or negotiate until you get what you want. If you don't get what you want, then at least you know you tried and you still have your current job to walk back to.

There are two positions at the same company that I'd like to apply for. They're nearly identical, except for I think one duty/responsibility. I've customized my cover letter for the company. It probably wouldn't be wise to submit the same cover letter even though its basically the same job right?

Secondly, I attempted to call and find the name and title for the person doing the hiring for the position, but I got no where. On the web site they have the hr director's name and the president for the department the position is in. Whose name should I address it to or should I do neither?

Thanks

My manager and I have talked extensively about working fulltime after I graduate, and it is a high interest on both sides for me to return to the company after interning for 2 summers under him. He told me this morning that he reached out to HR to see what is the process in terms of getting me an offer but wanted to know that I was still on the same page.

I have been telling him the whole time that this company is who I want to work for, especially for him, but at the same time I have a competitive number in my head in terms of compensation. He said to not worry that much, the company tends to pay well, but he believes there should be a window for negotiation but he needs to talk to HR about the process since they tend to have more say in college hires.

Any advice for my part? Both sides are extremely happy with each other but at the same time I dont know what the offer is yet and I want to be prepared if it's too low, etc.

Are you actively looking for anything else? If not, then you've got 2 choices...sit back and wait for a full time offer from wherever you're working now, or put yourself out there a little more to see if someone will make you a better offer before this place gets around to it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
My manager and I have talked extensively about working fulltime after I graduate, and it is a high interest on both sides for me to return to the company after interning for 2 summers under him. He told me this morning that he reached out to HR to see what is the process in terms of getting me an offer but wanted to know that I was still on the same page.

I have been telling him the whole time that this company is who I want to work for, especially for him, but at the same time I have a competitive number in my head in terms of compensation. He said to not worry that much, the company tends to pay well, but he believes there should be a window for negotiation but he needs to talk to HR about the process since they tend to have more say in college hires.

Any advice for my part? Both sides are extremely happy with each other but at the same time I dont know what the offer is yet and I want to be prepared if it's too low, etc.

I think it's good that you have been honest with him in regards to how you feel about working there. However, make sure they realize you also understand you have options and a market value. Regardless of how dreadful the economy is and the job market is, there is still quite a high demand for bright, young college graduates. Don't make any oral agreements to do anything. But it is fine to express continued interest in a permanent opportunity there.

There is nothing you can do until they make you an offer. When they present you with that, acknowledge that you understand the offer, but would like to take some time to think on it. Then you can commence negotiations once you determine what the minimum package is that you would accept, what your market value is, what a competitive wage is in the industry and in the region, etc.

But it sounds like right now you are handling things very well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Are you actively looking for anything else? If not, then you've got 2 choices...sit back and wait for a full time offer from wherever you're working now, or put yourself out there a little more to see if someone will make you a better offer before this place gets around to it.

Im not actively looking right now, most college hires occur early to mid semester in the fall, so my original plan was to see what this company offers at the end of the summer which would give me more time to look for other offers. I have a figure in my head (pretty much I think I should get paid the avg starting salary for IT majors out of U of I, unfortunately the timeframe that data I have is from 2008).

Im very happy that my manager already wants to get me an offer sheet, but at the same time I don't want it to cause any conflicts this summer if I am unimpressed (which I doubt, but I like to be prepared for situations like these).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I think it's good that you have been honest with him in regards to how you feel about working there. However, make sure they realize you also understand you have options and a market value. Regardless of how dreadful the economy is and the job market is, there is still quite a high demand for bright, young college graduates. Don't make any oral agreements to do anything. But it is fine to express continued interest in a permanent opportunity there.

There is nothing you can do until they make you an offer. When they present you with that, acknowledge that you understand the offer, but would like to take some time to think on it. Then you can commence negotiations once you determine what the minimum package is that you would accept, what your market value is, what a competitive wage is in the industry and in the region, etc.

But it sounds like right now you are handling things very well.

Thanks shack, appreciate all the advice and comments!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Starting salaries in most industries haven't changed much since 2008.

That's what I figured, but IT is pretty different from what Ive seen. I do have a ton of accounting friends whose offers are actually worse overall than those going into the industry 5 years ago (no signing bonus, salary pretty much the same, etc. Hell, the big 4 used to give signing bonuses to their interns!!).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
That's what I figured, but IT is pretty different from what Ive seen. I do have a ton of accounting friends whose offers are actually worse overall than those going into the industry 5 years ago (no signing bonus, salary pretty much the same, etc. Hell, the big 4 used to give signing bonuses to their interns!!).

Yep. That might start back up a year from now.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
There are two positions at the same company that I'd like to apply for. They're nearly identical, except for I think one duty/responsibility. I've customized my cover letter for the company. It probably wouldn't be wise to submit the same cover letter even though its basically the same job right?

Secondly, I attempted to call and find the name and title for the person doing the hiring for the position, but I got no where. On the web site they have the hr director's name and the president for the department the position is in. Whose name should I address it to or should I do neither?

Thanks

I have similar situations liek this. I'd be curious on peoples thoughts.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)
I start my 1st day of work tomorrow. Hello, real world.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
I also begin my first day of work at my internship in less than 45 minutes. I'm nervous but I am excited and ready to hit the ground running.

Good luck guys!

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
I also begin my first day of work at my internship in less than 45 minutes. I'm nervous but I am excited and ready to hit the ground running.

Tell them you have the solution to end the lockout! ;)