Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I had the meeting with my boss and a co-worker that I work under close supervision with today. They appeared to want me to stay till the end of August, extending my time with the team for 18 days. It seems like they need help for training camp but I have something personal going on back home to attend to. Even if I don't stay, they said they would be willing to put me into contact with members of most Chicago teams with the exception of the Blackhawks. So I don't see much of a difference if I stayed or went home but the contacts part of this was important.

I hope what you have is really important, because right now when they need you the most is not a good time to leave. I mean, it's an internship, but it sort of sticks that you left when it got (seemingly) more important.

Not trying to be an ass, because obviously I don't know your situation. I think you would have learned a lot by sticking around.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
I hope what you have is really important, because right now when they need you the most is not a good time to leave. I mean, it's an internship, but it sort of sticks that you left when it got (seemingly) more important.

Not trying to be an ass, because obviously I don't know your situation. I think you would have learned a lot by sticking around.

No decision has been made yet and I don't really want to get into the specifics of the situation. But I would primarily be helping out at training camp & doing less work in the office. If I did stay around, maybe their perceptions would think even more highly of me but it sounds like I am getting contacts and a recommendation regardless.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
No decision has been made yet and I don't really want to get into the specifics of the situation. But I would primarily be helping out at training camp & doing less work in the office. If I did stay around, maybe their perceptions would think even more highly of me but it sounds like I am getting contacts and a recommendation regardless.

Going that extra mile can make a huge difference. And you'd be at training camp, that's pretty cool itself.

Just got the call from the place I interviewed with a few weeks back. I did not get the job. They felt I was a very strong candidate for the position and it sounds like I was in the top few finalists. But, he said the person they offered the position to had a little more experience in that kind of position. he said I had a very solid resume/cover letter and that they were very impressed with the interview. He encouraged me to keep applying for positions because "the university would be very lucky to have you here" (or something along those lines).

Additionally, another job I interviewed with over a month ago finally got back to me. The position has been filled but he is hoping to grow the department and is keeping me on the top of his list.

So, kinda sucks, but also very encouraging at the same time.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)

Not knowing the situations, sticking around would go a huge way. Plus getting to see the way a training camp is ran would be pretty cool and could be very beneficial in your future experience if you work in PR in sports. You could learn stuff at this training camp that you could apply during future spring trainings, etc.

So I am trying to update my resume but have never run into an issue like this before since I am a fresh college grad...

My last position was as a manufacturer's representative, dealing with pretty much each and every type of marketing you could imagine.. My new position which I have just started, there are many things that I do the EXACT same as my last position because it is the same in scope, just for another company (example: trade shows, process of setting up, working it and the end product, blah blah blah and all the good stuff you put on a resume) - how do you distinguish the differences between these two duties when listing what you do at each position.

I hope this makes sense, kind of hard to explain I guess. I will elaborate below...

Company ABC - Current Position

Using four plus years of trade show experience - setting up of, sample ordering, working directly with retailers, shipping of product back to offices or stores

Company XYZ - 2004 - June 2011

Over four years of trade show experience - setting up of, sample ordering, working directly with retailers, shipping of product back to offices or stores

It is OK to have the same wording for two different positions as I am doing the exact same thing? Not sure how companies view things like this - hopethis makes sense!

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
So I am trying to update my resume but have never run into an issue like this before since I am a fresh college grad...

My last position was as a manufacturer's representative, dealing with pretty much each and every type of marketing you could imagine.. My new position which I have just started, there are many things that I do the EXACT same as my last position because it is the same in scope, just for another company (example: trade shows, process of setting up, working it and the end product, blah blah blah and all the good stuff you put on a resume) - how do you distinguish the differences between these two duties when listing what you do at each position.

Is it feasible to literally put the exact same wording? I hope this makes sense, kind of hard to explain I guess. I will elaborate below...

Using four plus years of trade show experience - setting up of, sample ordering, working directly with retailers, shipping of product back to offices or stores

Over four years of trade show experience - setting up of, sample ordering, working directly with retailers, shipping of product back to offices or stores

It is OK to have the same wording for two different positions? Hope this makes sense!

It's ok, yes...however, it also creates the look of stagnation, like over all those years, you never did anything new. I'd elaborate more on the latter entry, to show growth. :D

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)

I hope this makes sense, kind of hard to explain I guess. I will elaborate below...

It is OK to have the same wording for two different positions as I am doing the exact same thing? Not sure how companies view things like this - hopethis makes sense!

I would maybe paraphrase the job duties from the older job and expand upon the duties of the newer job. Make the newer job sound more expansive - make it look like you're gaining more and more responsibility w/ each new position.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
And HR is a puppet in most companies - and just so everyone knows or understands, HR is NOT there to represent you, they are there to represent the company, no ifs, ands, or buts.

This needs to be repeated until the end of your career.

I wasn't able to stay in St. Louis till the end of August, but I have been able to get a solid letter of recommendation from two supervisors, added several contacts on linkedin and my supervisor has assured me she will put in a good word to her contacts for jobs I may apply for in the future. Now I just have to figure out how to get into the White Sox organization considering they only hire interns who have bachelor's degrees and do not post their internships on their website.

So I'll be back home trying to get a job that just pays so I can save more money to be able to do something that I actually like to do in sports. Or I'll go into media relations somewhere corporate...maybe even try and hit up DePaul to become a graduate assistant while I go to grad school.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
Fulltime offer finally! And blown away by it, my manager even got them to include a pretty good signing bonus!

Congrats, Russ!

I'm sure your manager will get totally f***ed for putting himself on the line for you!

Hah, I kid...again, congrats, and well-deserved.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Fulltime offer finally! And blown away by it, my manager even got them to include a pretty good signing bonus!

Congrats, Russ! :headbang I know it's a heck of a feeling to get that out of the way.

Thanks guys! It just feels great to see that after 25 weeks of interning here (with a few more before school) that I still love working here, especially for the management above me, and that they liked me enough to give me such an offer.