Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a job interview in Iowa City, IA last week. Guy told me he was down to 2 people (including me) for 1 position. He requested to be able to hire both of us, but that hadn't been approved yet. If he can't hire both, he told me there was another position being posted soon, and hinted I'd be the front runner for it (Assuming I applied, which I would) if he didn't pick me for the job I just interviewed for.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Thank y'all.

I'm late to the party, but congrats! I just happened to notice that on the first page of this entire thread, you mentioned that you wanted to end up closer to Austin. Glad you were able to make it happen. San Antonio is only about an hour from Austin, isn't it?

Edited by dasox24

• 2 weeks later...

So I have interviewed with a large corporation and a very good opportunity. I have taken time off of work to Skype interview twice and was just moved on to the next stage and once again was asked to interview with "a few more people." I have a 12 day honeymoon at the end of this year and it would be devastating to keep requesting this time off of work to be in a quiet place for a Skype interview and end up not getting the job.

Anyone else ever have this issue? Ugh, when to say when...

I know it costs money, time, etc. but things like this are much easier when it's one long day of interviews but I guess that's just how it works.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
So I have interviewed with a large corporation and a very good opportunity. I have taken time off of work to Skype interview twice and was just moved on to the next stage and once again was asked to interview with "a few more people." I have a 12 day honeymoon at the end of this year and it would be devastating to keep requesting this time off of work to be in a quiet place for a Skype interview and end up not getting the job.

I know it costs money, time, etc. but things like this are much easier when it's one long day of interviews but I guess that's just how it works.

Do you have to take full days off? Could you maybe just put a few hours here and there, thus minimizing the time? Do you have flexibility to make it up by getting in earlier and making hours up?

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)

Maybe request that they do the interview off hours or at a more convenient time? I wouldn't burn multiple days off for a single job interview because they keep having callbacks...I'd tell them, look, I'm open to new opportunities, because I'd be foolish to ignore the possibilities of working for a great corporation like this one, but be that as it may, I cannot treat my current employer like they don't matter and take multiple days off in order to interview, they deserve better even if I'm willing to look elsewhere. They may even like hearing your loyalty. ;) OR, they'll tell you f*** off...but that's honestly what I'd say, and have said to potential employers in the past.

I've always told friends that the best time to look for a job is when you don't need one...that way you can say whatever you want to say in an interview, versus being afraid to say what's on your mind because you need the job. I've said some pretty outlandish things thinking in my mind, "f*** it, I'm saying this, and if they don't like it, too bad, I don't need the job anyway", only to have them put me at the top of their list BECAUSE I said it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
Maybe request that they do the interview off hours or at a more convenient time? I wouldn't burn multiple days off for a single job interview because they keep having callbacks...I'd tell them, look, I'm open to new opportunities, because I'd be foolish to ignore the possibilities of working for a great corporation like this one, but be that as it may, I cannot treat my current employer like they don't matter and take multiple days off in order to interview, they deserve better even if I'm willing to look elsewhere. They may even like hearing your loyalty. ;) OR, they'll tell you f*** off...but that's honestly what I'd say, and have said to potential employers in the past.

I've always told friends that the best time to look for a job is when you don't need one...that way you can say whatever you want to say in an interview, versus being afraid to say what's on your mind because you need the job. I've said some pretty outlandish things thinking in my mind, "f*** it, I'm saying this, and if they don't like it, too bad, I don't need the job anyway", only to have them put me at the top of their list BECAUSE I said it.

It all worked out, it will be a phone interview so I can just do it on a lunch break!

ok sox fans ...... Halliburton oil fields are in need of workers..... LA, TX and NM.

problem is you need a perfectly clean police report. the company in LA had to go and import

something like 300 Asians to man the positions b/c they can't find americans without a police rpt.

NM and TX are looking to fill something like 1000 position each by the end of Sept.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
It all worked out, it will be a phone interview so I can just do it on a lunch break!

I found out my third interview will be with a person that would have the same title as me which is great because I can ask questions regarding the position. My question is, how in depth can we go? Is it OK to ask about a salary range, bonus, etc. or is that too much?

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
I found out my third interview will be with a person that would have the same title as me which is great because I can ask questions regarding the position. My question is, how in depth can we go? Is it OK to ask about a salary range, bonus, etc. or is that too much?

I probably wouldn't ask that sort of information with a person who would have a similar title as you (regarding Salary / Bonus). I would focus more on the questions regarding culture, position, upward mobility, etc. Salary stuff should be for people levels above you (as well as HR).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
I probably wouldn't ask that sort of information with a person who would have a similar title as you (regarding Salary / Bonus). I would focus more on the questions regarding culture, position, upward mobility, etc. Salary stuff should be for people levels above you (as well as HR).

Appreciate it!

Had a phone interview with Baxter labs yesterday and they scheduled a face to face interview for next Tuesday. The problem, it's in f***ing Round Lake, IL.

straight. f***ing. boonies.

I plotted a metra course but it only gets me 3.0 miles away from the lab.

Anyone live out or near this area that could give me tips?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
ok sox fans ...... Halliburton oil fields are in need of workers..... LA, TX and NM.

problem is you need a perfectly clean police report. the company in LA had to go and import

something like 300 Asians to man the positions b/c they can't find americans without a police rpt.

NM and TX are looking to fill something like 1000 position each by the end of Sept.

North Dakota also has zillions of oilfield jobs.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Had a phone interview with Baxter labs yesterday and they scheduled a face to face interview for next Tuesday. The problem, it's in f***ing Round Lake, IL.

straight. f***ing. boonies.

I plotted a metra course but it only gets me 3.0 miles away from the lab.

Anyone live out or near this area that could give me tips?

Damn, if it was the Deerfield location I would've been able to drop you off easily, but Round Lake is pretty far out from where I work.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
North Dakota also has zillions of oilfield jobs.

opps, let me try this again.

where I live they are going like crazy trying to find people to man the offshore and oil fields demands.

my cuz is the hiring sup in west tx and NM and she can't fill what they need.

Anybody ever have to negotiate a vacation period soon after you start a job? I am pretty far along in a process and in exactly 58 days leave for a 12 day honeymoon. Tell them before or after a possible job offer?

If you are not flexible with the dates then definitely tell them in advance.