Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
So after 3 weeks of consistent communication (both face-to-face and via email) with multiple people and with everything going as absolutely perfect as possible, “I’ll be in touch next week” has now turned into 2 weeks of complete and absolute radio silence.

I’m not really sure how to proceed or if I should even do anything at all.

I'm debating whether it would be proper to send an email asking for an update or not.

I use those types of opportunities to simply leverage against them. Say you have an offer with another organization whom you interviewed with and you would like to know whether you should take it as you haven't heard back(make it sound nicer). Puts them in a position to have to respond and gives you clarity while also possibly getting you more money.

the question asked is a very hard one to answer. I am with the post that said you may not like the

answer and move on.

however asking a simple question in a pretext of a decision making question with another company

in the mix may be a good follow up.

either way, no matter which way you go. best of luck.

• 1 month later...

I've been pondering going for an MBA lately, I applied to Loyola and I'm awaiting their reply, but I've gotten very different feedback on if I should go or not.

One side is telling me that it's not worth the cost (probably around $30k or so from my end after company contributions) and that getting into management doesn't (or shouldn't) rely on having it.

The other side is saying that my competition has it and it's one less thing on the resume.

Considering both sides, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort/time/money to get it considering where I am in my career. FYI, I'm about 2.5 years out of college and have been progressing well (was promoted to the next level about 9 months ago). I'm held in good regard at the company and my immediate management really likes me as a future leader. That said, I have no idea if/when an opportunity will open in my specific department, my first option may have to come from outside it, so I'm not sure if having an MBA would really make a big difference or not. I think anything that proves that my intent is to get into management and to become the best leader possible is beneficial, just not sure if it makes that much of a difference to make it worthwhile.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I've been pondering going for an MBA lately, I applied to Loyola and I'm awaiting their reply, but I've gotten very different feedback on if I should go or not.

One side is telling me that it's not worth the cost (probably around $30k or so from my end after company contributions) and that getting into management doesn't (or shouldn't) rely on having it.

The other side is saying that my competition has it and it's one less thing on the resume.

Considering both sides, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort/time/money to get it considering where I am in my career. FYI, I'm about 2.5 years out of college and have been progressing well (was promoted to the next level about 9 months ago). I'm held in good regard at the company and my immediate management really likes me as a future leader. That said, I have no idea if/when an opportunity will open in my specific department, my first option may have to come from outside it, so I'm not sure if having an MBA would really make a big difference or not. I think anything that proves that my intent is to get into management and to become the best leader possible is beneficial, just not sure if it makes that much of a difference to make it worthwhile.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Any chance you can get your company to pay for it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Any chance you can get your company to pay for it?

They pay 5k per year and anything above that 50%. So rough calculations on an estimated time frame would be around $30k over 3 years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
It seems like MBAs are a dime a dozen these days...

So is it a checkbox you need or so common it doesn't really make a difference as long as you're proving yourself?

I know this is kind of company dependent, but trying to get more perspective. My thoughts right now are that at my company it may not make much of a difference, but for headhunters/recruiters it may make more of a difference as they may have a checkbox for initial screenings (moreso for first time managers).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
So is it a checkbox you need or so common it doesn't really make a difference as long as you're proving yourself?

I know this is kind of company dependent, but trying to get more perspective. My thoughts right now are that at my company it may not make much of a difference, but for headhunters/recruiters it may make more of a difference as they may have a checkbox for initial screenings (moreso for first time managers).

Yeah I would think as a general resume/recruitment tool it would be good, but it's tough if your company doesn't attribute any specific salary grade to education/degree level. My wife got her graduate degree because she immediately made 20% more for having the piece of paper. If you don't have that situation and if you think you're going to be at this company until you hit a management level position, I wouldn't waste the money. Remember that 30k turns into 40k-60k+ depending on how long you take to pay it back.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)

Yeah, I dunno...I have not heard a whole lot of buzz about MBAs for like 5-7 years. Not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but I don't know that it's the boost it once was...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Yeah I would think as a general resume/recruitment tool it would be good, but it's tough if your company doesn't attribute any specific salary grade to education/degree level. My wife got her graduate degree because she immediately made 20% more for having the piece of paper. If you don't have that situation and if you think you're going to be at this company until you hit a management level position, I wouldn't waste the money. Remember that 30k turns into 40k-60k+ depending on how long you take to pay it back.

There isn't an immediate bump, it would be from (hopefully) getting a manager/supervisor position earlier.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Yeah, I dunno...I have not heard a whole lot of buzz about MBAs for like 5-7 years. Not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but I don't know that it's the boost it once was...

Yea I'm leaning towards this being not worth it right now, but I need to talk to my mentor and manager more. Both of them have encouraged me but who knows if that's just being supportive or if they both believe I need it (neither of them have it, and my mentor is a director which is telling imo).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
There isn't an immediate bump, it would be from (hopefully) getting a manager/supervisor position earlier.

Yea I'm leaning towards this being not worth it right now, but I need to talk to my mentor and manager more. Both of them have encouraged me but who knows if that's just being supportive or if they both believe I need it (neither of them have it, and my mentor is a director which is telling imo).

I'm a manager in my company, and I think having an advanced degree helped legitimize me to those who do not know me well, and it is certainly a big part of my knowledge base, but I'll be honest, the skills I learned managing Abercrombie & Fitch stores when I was 20 are still what I believe helps me out the most. And I know, that is humorous.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm a manager in my company, and I think having an advanced degree helped legitimize me to those who do not know me well, and it is certainly a big part of my knowledge base, but I'll be honest, the skills I learned managing Abercrombie & Fitch stores when I was 20 are still what I believe helps me out the most. And I know, that is humorous.

I get that, people are people. The work is totally different but knowing how to lead people is pretty transferable, and that job probably offered as wide of a variety of personalities to manage as any you've had.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
I get that, people are people. The work is totally different but knowing how to lead people is pretty transferable, and that job probably offered as wide of a variety of personalities to manage as any you've had.

Yeah, it's just understanding how to balance time, priorities, motivate teams, DELEGATE, etc...not sure anything beats experience when it comes to learning those skills.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Yeah, it's just understanding how to balance time, priorities, motivate teams, DELEGATE, etc...not sure anything beats experience when it comes to learning those skills.

but i have a degree from haarrrrrvvvarddd...

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Anyway you could do it at a public university instead of a private one? That will probably save you a ton of dough.

UIC is an option, it's not as convenient for me and I would probably be limited to their weekend program since it would be hard to get there after work for me (I work in Lake Forest, and live in Southport now). I could wait to do the weekend program (starts only in the fall) and that would save me a lot, that would be roughly $14k out of pocket.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
UIC is an option, it's not as convenient for me and I would probably be limited to their weekend program since it would be hard to get there after work for me (I work in Lake Forest, and live in Southport now). I could wait to do the weekend program (starts only in the fall) and that would save me a lot, that would be roughly $14k out of pocket.

When it comes to MBA, my rule of thumb is the value is when your company pays, when you are going to an elite program, and when the program is offering differentiation in your skill-set that is viewed positively within your industry or more specifically by a company. I think the value for a business person lies in whether they want to get into Ibanking or wall street or various areas which statistically you need an MBA to get a gig. This differs for engineers / IT professionals who are moving outside of their typical technical area into more project management and overall business management and thus the skills obtained from an MBA (while often times, still common sense in my view) can be beneficial to someone who maybe has historically had a different viewpoint / skill-set as often times the skills of a project manager are much different then the skills of a design engineer with one having to be more focused on more general business concepts, etc.

Not sure if that is helpful or not and obviously everything is industry specific but I'd also say that it won't hurt, as long as you aren't breaking the bank to do it, with them subsidizing over 50% of the costs, it makes the pay back opportunities more attractive. While I don't think that piece of paper makes you more qualified for a job, it often is one of the hurdles at certain companies to get into various levels (and other times it isn't) and I think that depends on the industry you play in and what your specialization is and understanding that (both at your company but more in general within your sector). The key is really understanding that.

I started this temp job at an enviromental lab about a month and half ago. I get a call for a position in a pharma lab (most of my experience is in this area) that is going to pay $5-$10 more an hour.

I am planning to go back to school next fall so I am only planning on working full time until probably next August. Both positions are temp assignments but I believe the one I'm currently on has the potential to go permanent; the other position is just straight up temporary I believe. Even if my current company offered me a permanent role, I would have to decline it. I would ask to remain a temp since I'm leaving anyway.

My gut is telling me to just hold the line and stay at this company for a year instead of hopping to the pharma company. Then on the other hand, if I don't get into graduate school and I have to work another year, the pharma company would be ideal to work in.

Being an adult is difficult.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)
When it comes to MBA, my rule of thumb is the value is when your company pays, when you are going to an elite program, and when the program is offering differentiation in your skill-set that is viewed positively within your industry or more specifically by a company. I think the value for a business person lies in whether they want to get into Ibanking or wall street or various areas which statistically you need an MBA to get a gig. This differs for engineers / IT professionals who are moving outside of their typical technical area into more project management and overall business management and thus the skills obtained from an MBA (while often times, still common sense in my view) can be beneficial to someone who maybe has historically had a different viewpoint / skill-set as often times the skills of a project manager are much different then the skills of a design engineer with one having to be more focused on more general business concepts, etc.

Not sure if that is helpful or not and obviously everything is industry specific but I'd also say that it won't hurt, as long as you aren't breaking the bank to do it, with them subsidizing over 50% of the costs, it makes the pay back opportunities more attractive. While I don't think that piece of paper makes you more qualified for a job, it often is one of the hurdles at certain companies to get into various levels (and other times it isn't) and I think that depends on the industry you play in and what your specialization is and understanding that (both at your company but more in general within your sector). The key is really understanding that.

Jas has it down. I would REALLY recommend getting something that is a little more unique than just a general MBA. I vouched for an MSA (Masters in Science in Accounting) and it really helps you stand apart from the regular ol MBA crowd.

My daughter is starting a job working at Little Caesar’s near our house. She goes to orientation on Saturday morning but she also has to complete some sort of food certification course online. They said it is a new law in Illinois that went into affect in July of this year.

Cost is $15 but they are giving her some sort of voucher or something that makes it $10.

I had never heard of this before but I researched it and apparently it’s legit.

http://www.illinoisrestaurants.org/?page=F...afetyChangesHdl

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
My daughter is starting a job working at Little Caesar’s near our house. She goes to orientation on Saturday morning but she also has to complete some sort of food certification course online. They said it is a new law in Illinois that went into affect in July of this year.

Cost is $15 but they are giving her some sort of voucher or something that makes it $10.

I had never heard of this before but I researched it and apparently it’s legit.

http://www.illinoisrestaurants.org/?page=F...afetyChangesHdl

Seems like another money grab. Why on earth do you need a certificate when you're employer should be training you on it since their asses are on the line.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)

Well I'm a bit unique, my undergrad was in Business with an IT concentration, but I work in IT Security.

I would say internally it isn't much of an issue, our former Sr. Dir. IT Security didn't have one, the director before him didnt have one and our newly hired Sr. Dir doesn't have one. That said, many of our top execs have some form of masters degree.

QUOTE (SnB @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Jas has it down. I would REALLY recommend getting something that is a little more unique than just a general MBA. I vouched for an MSA (Masters in Science in Accounting) and it really helps you stand apart from the regular ol MBA crowd.

Yea that's interesting, I planned on getting a concentration in IT but a masters in MIS may be more relevant/useful anyways.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Seems like another money grab. Why on earth do you need a certificate when you're employer should be training you on it since their asses are on the line.

Employers can be bad about training for that kind of stuff, and it's nice to have an objective opinion going into a job on food health. You may have a co-worker willing to use 10 day old deli meat because "it smells fine," but that s*** needed to be in the garbage 3 days ago at the very minimum.

And then you'd think "why wouldn't the employer just pay it?" but if it's a fast food restaurant with high turnover rates, the employer is going to be spendnig an assload of money and a lot of times they'll be doing it for incompetent workers.

I'm still ServSafe certified through next July or so, but I'm sure there are a lot of technicalities that have changed since that point in time.