Brewers ask to talk to Cora

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
If the Brewers go with Cora (long shot), what are the chances Ozzie would consider bringing in Ryno for bench coach?

Considering what Ozzie thinks of the Cubs, I wouldn't put it passed him to do it. I wouldn't mind it personally.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Considering what Ozzie thinks of the Cubs, I wouldn't put it passed him to do it. I wouldn't mind it personally.

I wouldn't mind it either, but Ozzie tends to bring in his close friends to coaching positions. Is he "close" enough to Sandberg, and/or would he consider hiring him strictly from a baseball point of view?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
I wouldn't mind it either, but Ozzie tends to bring in his close friends to coaching positions. Is he "close" enough to Sandberg, and/or would he consider hiring him strictly from a baseball point of view?

I heard the interview, which is being remanufactured to be a story when it isn't. Ozzie clearly said in the interview that he does not know Ryne Sandberg.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
It is in the Trib today that he would consider Ryno.

That's what Ozzie said, being polite, when asked directly if he would hire Sandberg to be his bench coach. But Ozzie also said that he does not know Ryne Sandberg which, according to past history, would make Sandberg an extreme longshot for the position. Ozzie tends to hire people that he is familiar with.

This is why I think that someone such as Sandy Alomar Jr. would be a more likely candidate.

This is simply a story manufactured by the media to get headlines by taking Ozzies words out of context...........as hard as that is to believe.

I think that the most likely scenario is that Ozzie brings Harold Baines back in to be the bench coach and he hires a new 1st base coach.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
That's what Ozzie said, being polite, when asked directly if he would hire Sandberg to be his bench coach. But Ozzie also said that he does not know Ryne Sandberg which, according to past history, would make Sandberg an extreme longshot for the position. Ozzie tends to hire people that he is familiar with.

This is why I think that someone such as Sandy Alomar Jr. would be a more likely candidate.

This is simply a story manufactured by the media to get headlines by taking Ozzies words out of context...........as hard as that is to believe.

I think that the most likely scenario is that Ozzie brings Harold Baines back in to be the bench coach and he hires a new 1st base coach.

Sandy Alomar Jr would be a fantastic bench coach

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Rotoworld/Rosenthal saying that "money will be a factor" in the Brewers manager decision. That could (hopefully) work in Cora's favor, since he's probably the cheapest option.

That could also refer to marketability.

Apparently Joey finished second...

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news...ce=MLBHeadlines

Sources: Brewers pass on Joey Cora

* Email

* Print

* Comments2

By Bruce Levine

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox bench coach Joey Cora will more than likely return to the team in that role after being told by the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday that he had finished a strong second in their process of hiring a new manager, according to two major league sources.

ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog

Baseball blog The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

Multiple media outlets reported Tuesday that the Brewers hired Los Angeles Angels coach Ron Roenicke, who has been Mike Scioscia's bench coach since 2006.

Cora has been the bench coach and third base coach for Ozzie Guillen since joining the staff in 2004. Cora was a part of a double-play combination with the Sox manager with the 1993 division champion White Sox.

Cora was a finalist for the Seattle Mariners job before the Mariners hired Don Wakamatsu in 2009.

Cora spent parts of his 11-year playing career with the Mariners and White Sox. He was on three playoff teams with Seattle and was an All-Star in 1997 with the Mariners.

Bruce Levine covers baseball for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.