Herald speculates on LaRoche, Buck, Toerralba

southsider2k5

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010110...orts/101109913/

Ready for the off-season?

The White Sox certainly appear to be.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, general manager Kenny Williams told the Daily Herald the Sox are not going to have organizational meetings this year.

“We met enough during the season and at season's end,” Williams said from Phoenix before getting his first look at Jared Mitchell and other White Sox prospects in the Arizona Fall League.

Later Tuesday the Sox signed 43-year-old infielder Omar Vizquel to a one-year, $1.75 million contract. Vizquel is coming off a surprisingly strong season.

The 11-time Gold Glove winner batted .276 with 11 doubles, 2 home runs and 30 RBI. He was particularly impressive after taking over as the White Sox' starting third baseman in late May when Mark Teahen went down with a fractured finger.

“I got an opportunity because of an injured guy and then I really convinced myself that I can still play the game on a regular basis and be productive,” Vizquel said on a conference call.

“I was really excited about my year and that's why I decided to play another year.”

One of 142 players who immediately filed for free agency after the San Francisco Giants won the World Series on Monday night, Vizquel is prepared to be the Sox' utility infielder in 2011.

But he will be ready to go if rookie third baseman Brent Morel can't hit major-league pitching.

The White Sox also got a bit of good news Tuesday when the Milwaukee Brewers bypassed bench coach Joey Cora and hired Los Angeles Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke as their new manager.

Late last week the Sox picked up the options on all-star relief pitcher Matt Thornton and backup catcher Ramon Castro, and Sandy Alderson beat out assistant general manager Rick Hahn for the New York Mets' GM job.

The White Sox are off to a good start this off-season, but there is plenty more work to be done.

The No. 1 priority is making free agent Paul Konerko an offer.

Expected to command a new contract in the three-year, $45 million range, the Sox have to decide if their captain who turns 35 on March 5 can keep producing over the life of the deal.

If not, the White Sox could turn to Dayan Viciedo at first base. The 21-year-old has impressive power and has been compared to Miguel Cabrera, but he still is incredibly raw and opted not to play winter ball.

Adam LaRoche is another option, although the White Sox didn't show much interest in the left-handed first baseman at the trade deadline.

After batting .261 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI for the Arizona Diamondbacks this season, LaRoche's $7.5 million option was declined Tuesday.

The Sox' No. 2 priority is free-agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

If the two sides can't agree to a new contract, the White Sox could go after John Buck or Yorvit Torrealba, who declined his $3.5 million option with the San Diego Padres on Tuesday.

The Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with Konerko and Pierzynski until Sunday, so time is a factor.

They also have to make decisions on five other free agents: Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay, J.J. Putz and Manny Ramirez.

And the Sox have four key players who are arbitration eligible: John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Bobby Jenks and Carlos Pena.

Danks is a near lock to stay on the South Side, Quentin is prime trade bait, and Jenks and Pena are nontender candidates.

Why did Viciedo decline to play winter ball? He must be tired or something.

That writer might still get the last laugh with his 3-year 45 mill prediction for Konerko. The guy is coming off a great year and we tend to devalue our own on this website. Konerko had an amazing season in this non steroid era.

Edited by greg775

They also have to make decisions on five other free agents: Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay, J.J. Putz and Manny Ramirez.

I'd keep one of them, maybe two, Fred and Putz.

There is no reason to consider keeping Kotsay, Jones or Manny.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
I would definitely consider Jones if the price is right. He's a good 4th outfielder.

What would you consider the right price? I don't think I'd pay much more for him than what we paid last year. I think we'd be better off trying to find a guy who fits as a better platoon partner with Quentin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
What would you consider the right price? I don't think I'd pay much more for him than what we paid last year. I think we'd be better off trying to find a guy who fits as a better platoon partner with Quentin.

What'd we pay him last year? 500k? I'd offer him up to what we offered Omar actually. He can still play the OF and provides power off the bench. As a 4th OF he still provides value.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
What'd we pay him last year? 500k? I'd offer him up to what we offered Omar actually. He can still play the OF and provides power off the bench. As a 4th OF he still provides value.

Don't we have anybody in our organization that can fill that role? If not, we're pretty pathetic an organization. Jones is just another guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Don't we have anybody in our organization that can fill that role? If not, we're pretty pathetic an organization. Jones is just another guy.

Really, De Aza is probably already set in as one of our backup OF's for next year, and if he'd ever stay healthy he's talented enough to be a lower-level starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Really, De Aza is probably already set in as one of our backup OF's for next year, and if he'd ever stay healthy he's talented enough to be a lower-level starter.

This.

De Aza is a better/cheaper/more intelligent option. If someone goes down, I can't watch Andruw Jones trying to go yard every swing for an extended period. I like De Aza as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/injury depth.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
This.

De Aza is a better/cheaper/more intelligent option. If someone goes down, I can't watch Andruw Jones trying to go yard every swing for an extended period. I like De Aza as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/injury depth.

Well if De Aza is going to be our injury replacement, we'd better make sure we have an injury replacement ready for the injury replacement. Just sayin

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Yet another article that points that Sox will most likely take their chances with Brent Morel as their new third baseman.

Unless Adrian Beltre falls into the Sox' lap (not going to happen), Morel is the most intelligent option they have. Who else would it be? Teahen? Vizquel? Uribe? Figgins???

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Unless Adrian Beltre falls into the Sox' lap (not going to happen), Morel is the most intelligent option they have. Who else would it be? Teahen? Vizquel? Uribe? Figgins???

I like this Morel kid but I bet many here wondered if Kenny will try to explore the FA/Trade market at third base. Bottom line is Morel is huge question mark and while I wish him the best we have no idea how he is going to perform, what if he tanks? Then what do we have, Teahen? Vizquel? Viciedo?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
I like this Morel kid but I bet many here wondered if Kenny will try to explore the FA/Trade market at third base. Bottom line is Morel is huge question mark and while I wish him the best we have no idea how he is going to perform, what if he tanks? Then what do we have, Teahen? Vizquel? Viciedo?

Actually, that's a fairly long list of options. None of them are spectacular...but all of them could at least cover the position.