Guess the player's destination

macsandz

So, with the free agent signing period about to begin, it's time to step up and guess where the big names will go. :

Crawford: Angels (6/$130M)

Werth: Red Sox (4/$75M)

Lee: Texas (5/$110M)

Beltre: San Francisco (4/$45M)

Konerko: D-backs (3/$35M)

Dunn: Nats (2/$30M)

Victor Martinez: White Sox (3/$34M)

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
If Konerko and Martinez sign for virtually the same money and we don't end up with Paulie, I'll be very disappointed in White Sox management. Victor is a good player, but I would take Paulie over him any day of the week.

I'm on the opposite end of that one. Switch hitter, plays a couple positions, younger. As much as I love Pauly it may just be time to let him go. Try something new.

Aside from the Crawford number (I think it'll be more like 100ish over 6), that sounds about right to me.

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
If Konerko and Martinez sign for virtually the same money and we don't end up with Paulie, I'll be very disappointed in White Sox management. Victor is a good player, but I would take Paulie over him any day of the week.

Exactly. That would be very very disappointing.

Why the hell would he be worth that kind of money over Paulie?

He had 79 RBIs in 538 at bats last year. In 2009 he hd over 100 RBIs with 2 teams which is good. He had 23 homes

and 20 last year.

He did nothing in 08.

He's about to turn 32.

He is not worth that kind of money. No way.

Or put it this way, if he is worth that kind of money, so is Paulie. You think Paulie will decline; well assume Martinez is going to decline as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Lee: New York Yankees (5/$110M)

I'm not gonna question his recent success or doubt that he will get that contract. But damn, thats a lot of money to pay a 32 year old with maybe 4 great seasons.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
There aren't 2 Brandon Webb's, are there?

Maybe there is one I don't know about? But if we are talking about the same one, do you really think someone would give him a 2 year deal for that much money? Especially the Nats who are waiting for 2012 til Strasburg comes back, with Storen & Zimmerman ready to lead the staff?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
Maybe there is one I don't know about? But if we are talking about the same one, do you really think someone would give him a 2 year deal for that much money? Especially the Nats who are waiting for 2012 til Strasburg comes back, with Storen & Zimmerman ready to lead the staff?

Ben Sheets. 1 yr/$10M at age 31

I think a former Cy Young winner could net $7M a year at the same age, and the Nationals are interested. Last 3 years that Webb has been healthy he has finished either Cy Winner, or the runner up all 3 years. Obviously his health is the major issue, but if he is good to go, he is one of the best pitchers in baseball. And at 31, he is not too old.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)

I think a former Cy Young winner could net $7M a year at the same age, and the Nationals are interested.

You have a great point there. If Sheets got that money, then yeah, I guess Webb could get it too. I wouldn't invest that much $$$, but I guess thats why I am not a GM.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm not gonna question his recent success or doubt that he will get that contract. But damn, thats a lot of money to pay a 32 year old with maybe 4 great seasons.

Yet he'll still probably be worth it and more. It's not like his high marks have been sporadic throughout his career. They are three elite seasons in a row with over 650IP. And I would not expect age to affect a guy relying on pinpoint control like Lee as severely as a guy who relies on velocity for success

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Yet he'll still probably be worth it and more. It's not like his high marks have been sporadic throughout his career. They are three elite seasons in a row with over 650IP. And I would not expect age to affect a guy relying on pinpoint control like Lee as severely as a guy who relies on velocity for success

I hear ya. I dont think he's gonna be a bust, but I'd much rather give that money to a 28 year old pitcher instead of a 32 year old one that became an ace at 30.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Exactly. That would be very very disappointing.

Why the hell would he be worth that kind of money over Paulie?

Martinez is younger and much more versatile than Konerko - (C,1B + switch hitter).

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
You have a great point there. If Sheets got that money, then yeah, I guess Webb could get it too. I wouldn't invest that much $$$, but I guess thats why I am not a GM.

I probably wouldn't pay that for a big risk either, but it's just my guess based of the fact that the Nats are interested in Webb, and that Webb's agent will use his history of great seasons to his advantage and they will settle around $7M a year for that risk.

Crawford: Angels (6/$115M)

Werth: Giants/Tigers if they don't retain Maggs (4/$75M)

Lee: Yankees (6/$130M)

Beltre: Tough one. Angels? Red Sox? (4/$50M)

Konerko: Dodgers (3/$35M)

Dunn: Tigers (3/$40M)? Tough to gauge a value for this guy, it really depends on what league he ends up in.

Victor Martinez: Texas (3/$45M)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)

I think a former Cy Young winner could net $7M a year at the same age, and the Nationals are interested. Last 3 years that Webb has been healthy he has finished either Cy Winner, or the runner up all 3 years. Obviously his health is the major issue, but if he is good to go, he is one of the best pitchers in baseball. And at 31, he is not too old.

Yeah, the key there being 1 year. Webb has been out 2 full seasons, Sheets was out 1.

Chien Ming Wang is a better comparison to Brandon Webb than Ben Sheets is. He got 1/$2 from the Nationals. Webb does have a better track record than Wang, but the current scouting report on Webb still has him topping out at like 85-88, which won't work in the majors.

If Webb got anything other than a 1 year deal with a potential option, I'd s*** my pants.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:52 PM)
Yeah, the key there being 1 year. Webb has been out 2 full seasons, Sheets was out 1.

Chien Ming Wang is a better comparison to Brandon Webb than Ben Sheets is. He got 1/$2 from the Nationals. Webb does have a better track record than Wang, but the current scouting report on Webb still has him topping out at like 85-88, which won't work in the majors.

If Webb got anything other than a 1 year deal with a potential option, I'd s*** my pants.

We shall see. And if he DOES get anything more than 1 year guaranteed, then I want pics of the aftermath in your pants.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 07:58 PM)
So, with the free agent signing period about to begin, it's time to step up and guess where the big names will go. :

Crawford: Angels (6/$130M)

Werth: Red Sox (4/$75M)

Beltre: San Francisco (4/$45M)

Konerko: D-backs (3/$35M)

Dunn: Nats (2/$30M)

Victor Martinez: White Sox (3/$34M)

Crawford: Angels, 7/$140

Werth: Red Sox, 4/$70

Lee: Yankees, 6/$156.

Beltre: Angels: 4/$48

Konerko: White Sox, 3/$33

Dunn: Braves, 2/$24

Martinez: Red Sox, 4/$48.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
1B, unless you are suggesting that Berkman can't play 1B anymore.

I would think that is the case. If the Sox signed Berkman alone, I'd expect Viciedo to get most of the playing time at 1b, and Berkman might show up there occasionally with Quentin at DH that day, or something like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
I would think that is the case. If the Sox signed Berkman alone, I'd expect Viciedo to get most of the playing time at 1b, and Berkman might show up there occasionally with Quentin at DH that day, or something like that.

Well, according to my offseason plan, Viciedo goes to AAA, Quentin goes to DH. So what we would need to fill would be 1B, RF, and C. And only if Kenny fails to bring in Konerko, Berkman, Lee, or someone else to play 1B, then Viciedo is plugged in, but I want Viciedo at AAA to work on some thing, and playing 1B to learn how to play it.