Beckham available???

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 04:50 AM)
I wouldn't exactly say we developed him.. dude spent very little time in the minors

Development isn't only at the minor league level. It would be a shame to suffer though his growing pains and then miss out on the good stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
I think it'd be dumb to develop a guy for two years, then trade him, but that's just me.

As far as him being a mental midget ... I think we nitpick on here sometimes regarding our own players.

It seems to me there aren't many better second baseman prospects than Beckham.

I guess if he sucked next season, maybe he's another Alex Gordon bust, but it seems to me you don't go trading guys that you develop, guys who have shown signs of brilliance like Beckham.

Brandon McCarthy saids hi, and can I have a contract?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Brandon McCarthy saids hi, and can I have a contract?

Exactly

I don't think we should trade Gordon, but let's not get carried away with the "face of the franchise" discussion.

He's very talented, cheap(for a while), and along with Alexei could form a very powerful defensive duo in the AL (maybe the whole league) down the line.

But history should tell us that, more often than not, these guys get traded. I don't want to compare Gordon to: McCarthy, Young, Carter, Sweeney, Fields, Gio, Allen, or Hudson; because its obvious his skill set is higher than anyone of them. But, KW isn't shy on making a trade that send some of our young talent away and send some of us scratching our heads. If the right trade came along I don't doubt Gordon would get traded, but they have time. And that luxury should temper them enough to wait for the right trade.

Edited by pktmotion

I don't think we'd get back anything that would make Beckham worth trading, i.e. we're not getting AGon + a reasonable (and by reasonable I mean $20M or less over 5 years or less) extension, we're not getting Prince at a reasonable extension, etc. If we trade him it'll be for someone who is either awesome now but making a lot of money and near FA OR it'll be for someone who may be awesome in the future but whose ceiling is no higher than Gordon's. IMO we need to keep Gordon. He'll bust out next year.