Braves Acquire Dan Uggla

chetkincaid

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Dunn put up a 1.63 ERA at AAA this year out of the bullpen and had solid velocity in that spot as well. Infante was an all-star infielder this year.

I guess a comparable Sox price would be giving up Santos and perhaps Alexei.

If Alexei was under team control for only one more year, than maybe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Dunn put up a 1.63 ERA at AAA this year out of the bullpen and had solid velocity in that spot as well. Infante was an all-star infielder this year.

That is nowhere near a comparable price. Alexei and Santos would have landed Uggla and Frank Wren himself in his birthday suit playfully licking whipped cream from his fingertips.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)

Umm, Alexei is a superior player to Infante. Infante is a guy that the Braves are selling incredibly high. He is a utility guy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Umm, Alexei is a superior player to Infante. Infante is a guy that the Braves are selling incredibly high. He is a utility guy.

Prior to the Cabrera deal...the response you'd have gotten might be "well, the Marlins scouts also keep nailing things, so they must really believe in the Infante that the Braves got last year".

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Marlins dumping their high salaried players? However, they might be getting some good young talent and the Braves get the veteran

They got a good young bullpen arm, but Infante is only 2 years younger than Uggla.

Tim Hudson is gonna enjoy watching his new 2nd baseman field all those ground balls. Despite that, I do think its a great move for the Braves. He really is an impact bat, that can make up for his defense, plus you may be able to stick him in LF anyway. Since 2006, Uggla has the 5th most HRs out of all right handed hitters, just behind A-Rod, Pujols, MCab, & PK.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Tim Hudson is gonna enjoy watching his new 2nd baseman field all those ground balls. Despite that, I do think its a great move for the Braves. He really is an impact bat, that can make up for his defense, plus you may be able to stick him in LF anyway. Since 2006, Uggla has the 5th most HRs out of all right handed hitters, just behind A-Rod, Pujols, MCab, & PK.

It is also why I would accept deals for Beckham if we were able to get a talented guy that can play a premium position. Bottom line, solid 2nd baseman can be had/found with relative ease compared to most other positions. It is also probably one of the cheapest starting positions on the diamond, if not the cheapest.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
It is also why I would accept deals for Beckham if we were able to get a talented guy that can play a premium position. Bottom line, solid 2nd baseman can be had/found with relative ease compared to most other positions. It is also probably one of the cheapest starting positions on the diamond, if not the cheapest.

Except Uggla turned down $48 million for 4 years and Beckham isn't even eligible for arbitration for 2 years. Uggla wants $14 million a year for 5 years.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't see this as a steal at all. Infante has one year left on his deal at a very low $2.5 mil. He can easily play his way to Type A status, and the Marlins would feel very comfortable offering him arbitration and receive 2 1st rd draft picks. Dunn, 1 year of Infante, and 2 1st rd picks for a disgruntled horrendous defensive player who is demanding 5yrs/70 mil is a win in my book.

As a marlins fan Beinfest has made some pretty s***ty player evaluations lately: Olsen and Willingham for Bonifacio, The whole cabrera deal, letting cody ross go for nothing and now uggla for a utility infielder and a decent looking left handed reliever.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
The Marlins ownership continues their reign of terror with another disastorous return from a salary dump. Just what the hell was the thought process here?

I wouldnt really call it a salary dump since he's affordable at the moment. The Marlins are my NL team and I follow them closely so I don't love the move, but this may have been the best offer they felt they had or would get. I wonder if they are planning on moving Chris Coghlan back to 2B now? Because Matt Dominguez is probably still a year away.