29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I'll see/I saw it on IMAX!
    • I'll see/I saw it in the regular theater
    • I'll wait and rent the DVD
    • I might watch it on TV a year from now
    • I've seen at least one, not watching this one
    • I never liked this kids crap

I posted this in the Films thread, but this seems to be the "official" place to talk Deathly Hallows:

I did feel like the middle section was rushed a lot. it was very disjointed and frantic. Jumping from one scene to another with characters seemingly making revolutions out of no where (

the swords ability to be injected with basilisk venom

) and entire scenes were set-up by three or four lines of dialog (

breaking into the ministry

). I understand they had to do it that way. There's too much in the book that HAD to be wedged in. I felt like if you had not read the book you might not understand some key parts.

the influence of the locket on people was seemingly interjected with no explanation

and probably could have been left out.

The best parts where when they slowed down like at

godric's hollow and Malfoy Manor

(after the snatchers). Those scenes had some real depth and where fantastic.

Overall, it was really good, and July is going to be epic.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
I just got back from Part 1. That was absolutely intense; I really liked it, and apart from a few flaws found it to be consistently engaging throughout. A word of caution: this is absolutely PG-13 to the core. There were people sobbing in the audience at times during this movie.

Did you have the feeling that if you haven't read the books, some of the finer points might be looked over by someone who has only seen the movies?

I have no emotional attachment to the Harry Potter series (Harry Potter is my wife's obsesion), but

Dobby's death chocked me up

Oh, and

Harry and Hermine making out naked was really unnecessary

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Did you have the feeling that if you haven't read the books, some of the finer points might be looked over by someone who has only seen the movies?

Absolutely, the film kind of assumes you have book knowledge at a couple of points. It’s a minor thing, but it’s a bit confusing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Absolutely, the film kind of assumes you have book knowledge at a couple of points. It’s a minor thing, but it’s a bit confusing.

Ok, good. I thought maybe I was be a little too critical.

Overall, I thought they did a REALLY great job at translating key point in the book onto the screen.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)

Every one of the movies left out details that were very important in the book.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Every one of the movies left out details that were very important in the book.

That's only logical... even in the very best of adaptations. Otherwise book adaptations would be upwards of 6 hours long if people wanted the proper detail. This is the day and age in which people are lucky to have a long enough attention span to watch a measly 90 minute film... if not even less.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
That's only logical... even in the very best of adaptations. Otherwise book adaptations would be upwards of 6 hours long if people wanted the proper detail. This is the day and age in which people are lucky to have a long enough attention span to watch a measly 90 minute film... if not even less.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was responding to somebody who said that finer points were left out, when major details were left out of the others.