Which Starter Would You Try to Deal?

Quin

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Would You Try to Deal?

• Mark Buehrle
    • Jake Peavy
    • John Danks
    • Gavin Floyd
    • Edwin Jackson
    • Chris Sale (PTBNL)

Peavy nor Buehrle are going anywhere. They wouldn't net anything useful for Jackson. It's clearly between Danks/Floyd. Danks is younger, more consistent and left-handed. I think he'd easily net a better haul, even with the fact he'll soon be expensive. But if KW were to trade Danks, HE BETTER NOT f*** IT UP! I mean you better get two legitimate pieces back, at least. Whether it be major leaguer, minor leaguer or both. In my estimation, and I would LOVE to be proven wrong, this organization is in trouble. A botched Danks trade would be devastating.

It all depends on what your goals are. Buehrle could clear you more salary, but won't bring much of a return. Danks or Floyd won't give you much salary relief, but will bring you a better haul of prospects, or maybe even major league ready players. Peavy isn't going anywhere right now, so forget about him. I can't see much of a scenario where Sale would be in a deal, other than the organization thinking he is a shoulder surgery waiting to happen, and getting a big time bat for him while we still can. I'd listen on Jackson, but I wouldn't be sure what to expect back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
It all depends on what your goals are. Buehrle could clear you more salary, but won't bring much of a return. Danks or Floyd won't give you much salary relief, but will bring you a better haul of prospects, or maybe even major league ready players. Peavy isn't going anywhere right now, so forget about him. I can't see much of a scenario where Sale would be in a deal, other than the organization thinking he is a shoulder surgery waiting to happen, and getting a big time bat for him while we still can. I'd listen on Jackson, but I wouldn't be sure what to expect back.

It would be pretty irresponsible to trade Sale away with two starting pitchers coming off the books after next season with essentially zero starting pitching prospects who can step in, especially since we seem to be concerned with the health of Peavy.

I voted Danks because I think he'd be the only pitcher who wouldn't be a pure salary dump.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I went with Buehrle. I've loved every minute of his run but he's expensive, aging and we can still get something for him now.

What you'd get would be primarily salary relief and I don't have much faith in Sox brass ATM as far as how they'd spend that. Kenny would probably sign Bill Hall for a zillion dollars and then trade for Chone Figgins without sending a bad contract in return. Then he'd talk about how much better we'll be, and how much more versatile, and fifty cents, and all that good stuff.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
What you'd get would be primarily salary relief and I don't have much faith in Sox brass ATM as far as how they'd spend that. Kenny would probably sign Bill Hall for a zillion dollars and then trade for Chone Figgins without sending a bad contract in return. Then he'd talk about how much better we'll be, and how much more versatile, and fifty cents, and all that good stuff.

You mean like how Williams traded Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino to allot more funds to sign players, and then ended up signing Pierzynski, Iguchi, and El Duque?

I'm sure there have been other bad ones, but the worst free agent signing (I can think of) that Williams has made was Scott Linebrink. He makes some dumb trades and then signs those guys to ill-advised extensions, such as Koch and Teahen, but I am really struggling to come up with any bad free agent signings he's made. Toby Hall didn't turn out well, but it was like $3 mill total.

I also don't think the Mariners are going to trade Figgins at this point. I think they'll probably move him back to 3B and use Ackley at 2B.

Edited by witesoxfan

I chose Floyd because he would bring back the most based on him being locked up. I would have said Sale or Peavy but I don't think either of them would net s*** for the time being (Peavy with his current injuries and $$$ to boot, and Sale being a PTBNL). If I knew Sale could get a great return, I'd probably pick him.

I wouldn't want to tinker with the Peavy, Buehrle, Jackson, Danks, Floyd rotation (or Sale for that matter) unless it was absolutely needed.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
I've been advocating the trading of Danksy since about May now. Not that I wouldn't like to keep him, but we just need cheap assets right now and he makes the most sense to move right now.

Worst possible scenario is him leaving us for either NY team or Boston when he becomes a FA. I love Danks. #163 is etched into my memory forever. But he's not elite, shouldn't be paid like he's elite, and now would be the best time to deal him IF we can't get him locked up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Worst possible scenario is him leaving us for either NY team or Boston when he becomes a FA. I love Danks. #163 is etched into my memory forever. But he's not elite, shouldn't be paid like he's elite, and now would be the best time to deal him IF we can't get him locked up.

Why is that the worst possible scenario? I could think of many worse ones.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
I've been advocating the trading of Danksy since about May now. Not that I wouldn't like to keep him, but we just need cheap assets right now and he makes the most sense to move right now.

I would get rid of Jackson if I had to. Danks is a beast, the best pitcher we have, no way in hell I would trade him. The Sox will be able to lock him up with Buehrle's contract off the hands of the Sox after the season. I think the Sox and Danks are going to agree to a 4-year deal worth like $40 million, hopefully this off-season, structured as such:

2011 - $6 million

2012 - $10 million

2013 - $11 million

2014 - $13 million

They will sign him reasonably for this year and when Buehrle is gone next year (or signed to a salary considerably less than he is currently making), Danks' salary gets bumped up. The Sox know Danks is the best pitcher they have and won't let him go. Regardless, we have him for the next two years for a relatively low salary (for a top-10 starting pitcher in the AL at least), so I wouldn't entertain any thought of trading him this year. If we still can't sign him, then mid-season 2012, is the first time I would entertain that thought.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I would get rid of Jackson if I had to. Danks is a beast, the best pitcher we have, no way in hell I would trade him. The Sox will be able to lock him up with Buehrle's contract off the hands of the Sox after the season. I think the Sox and Danks are going to agree to a 4-year deal worth like $40 million, hopefully this off-season, structured as such:

2011 - $6 million

2012 - $10 million

2013 - $11 million

2014 - $13 million

They will sign him reasonably for this year and when Buehrle is gone next year (or signed to a salary considerably less than he is currently making), Danks' salary gets bumped up. The Sox know Danks is the best pitcher they have and won't let him go. Regardless, we have him for the next two years for a relatively low salary (for a top-10 starting pitcher in the AL at least), so I wouldn't entertain any thought of trading him this year. If we still can't sign him, then mid-season 2012, is the first time I would entertain that thought.

Mid-season 2012? You wouldn't be able to get a bag of peanuts for him if you waited that long. He'd hit FA in 3 months. And Danks is not a top-10 starting pitcher in the AL. More like top-20.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Mid-season 2012? You wouldn't be able to get a bag of peanuts for him if you waited that long. He'd hit FA in 3 months. And Danks is not a top-10 starting pitcher in the AL. More like top-20.

And if he thinks he is a top 10 pitcher, there is no way you are getting him to give up his first FA year for only $13million without there being a lot more money in the first thee years.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
If I were GM, I would not trade any of them.

This. I'd only trade if the Sox were out of contention by July, then I'd trade E-Jax to a contender.

I'd also look into maybe trading Buehrle for some package similar to Pods/Vizcaino, like someone else mentioned in this thread. Then sign some cheap free agent starting pitcher.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
This. I'd only trade if the Sox were out of contention by July, then I'd trade E-Jax to a contender.

I'd also look into maybe trading Buehrle for some package similar to Pods/Vizcaino, like someone else mentioned in this thread. Then sign some cheap free agent starting pitcher.

Like I said with to maggs, what makes you think we'd be able to get anything worth a damn for a mediocre pitcher (I'm hoping he dominates next year) who will be 2-3 months away from FA?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Like I said with to maggs, what makes you think we'd be able to get anything worth a damn for a mediocre pitcher (I'm hoping he dominates next year) who will be 2-3 months away from FA?

I'd guess he at least has a shot at being a type B FA next year just off number of innings.

Of course...if the Sox are out of contention, the odds are it's in part because he's struggling too.