Sox engaged in "advanced trade discussions"

Pale Sox

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
This is from Rosenthal's article about the Dunn signing. It's a quote that hasn't really got much attention, but from a reliable source like Rosenthal I find it interesting.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Chicago...-million-120210

I can't help but think Quentin's involved, and I HIGHLY doubt this was about the Linebrink trade.

Next week is sure to be both really exciting and most likely a huge letdown.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
It has to be the Cardinals, KW has a man crush on Rasmus and he will be in the Sox outfield next year.

I think KW wants to get Paulie and Putz signed quickly so he can look at possibly upgrading the existing roster. I still think there's a reasonable chance Quentin gets moved if KW is able to bring in another outfielder and Rasmus would be a great target. I just don't know what we could offer. Unless the Cardinals have interest in Viciedo or the prospects we get in a potential Quentin trade, I just don't see a match though.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
It has to be the Cardinals, KW has a man crush on Rasmus and he will be in the Sox outfield next year.

As G&T mentioned, it was almost certainly the Linebrink trade. On top of that, the Cardinals and White Sox really don't match up that well, the Cardinals want to keep Rasmus (and Mozeliak as said as much), Rasmus has made amends with LaRussa, and Williams has said that the Sox won't be trading off any significant pieces. Again, to punctuate the first point, the Cards and Sox really don't match up that well.

I also don't know why the thought that Williams has a "man crush" on Rasmus has resonated throughout Soxtalk, or the fact that he is going to pursue every single player he has a "man-crush" on, but it's a bit ridiculous. I'm sure Williams has a "man-crush" on like half of the players in the majors - it doesn't mean he's going to trade for all of them. The guy has a "man-crush" on Alex Rodriguez, but for some reason, I don't see the Sox involved with rumors for him. Call for due diligence? You bet your ass.

Maybe when Rasmus is 46 though, right?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
As G&T mentioned, it was almost certainly the Linebrink trade. On top of that, the Cardinals and White Sox really don't match up that well, the Cardinals want to keep Rasmus (and Mozeliak as said as much), Rasmus has made amends with LaRussa, and Williams has said that the Sox won't be trading off any significant pieces. Again, to punctuate the first point, the Cards and Sox really don't match up that well.

I also don't know why the thought that Williams has a "man crush" on Rasmus has resonated throughout Soxtalk, or the fact that he is going to pursue every single player he has a "man-crush" on, but it's a bit ridiculous. I'm sure Williams has a "man-crush" on like half of the players in the majors - it doesn't mean he's going to trade for all of them. The guy has a "man-crush" on Alex Rodriguez, but for some reason, I don't see the Sox involved with rumors for him. Call for due diligence? You bet your ass.

Maybe when Rasmus is 46 though, right?

Ok, point well taken on the man crush and that he will get his man someday as he has many times. To be more direct and with less emotion, KW has made no secret that he wants Rasmus and I don't buy the fact that Rasmus and LaRussa have made peace. With that, the Cards are at a cross roads right now with this Pujols contract and either Quentin or Buehrle would interest them. Let's see what happens.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
Ok, point well taken on the man crush and that he will get his man someday as he has many times. To be more direct and with less emotion, KW has made no secret that he wants Rasmus and I don't buy the fact that Rasmus and LaRussa have made peace. With that, the Cards are at a cross roads right now with this Pujols contract and either Quentin or Buehrle would interest them. Let's see what happens.

Why would adding salary interest them? Buehrle making $15 million is not going to help them with Pujols. Even if the Cardinals decide Rasmus has to go, it isn't going to be to the White Sox unless Gordon Beckham is involved.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)

What does Quentin bring that Rasmus doesn't? Terrible defense from an easier position? I also don't know where you get the idea that Williams has stated that the White Sox are interested in Rasmus - if he said that, he'd either be guilty of tampering or you have a pretty damn good source and shouldn't be posting that kind of information on here. Beyond ANY of that, LaRussa has (virtually) no control over personnel decisions, and it's up to John Mozeliak to determine whether or not Colby Rasmus gets moved. Considering Rasmus has like 4 years left before he hits free agency, and LaRussa has like 2 years left before he hits the links, I think he's probably going to keep Rasmus.

Buehrle obviously makes no sense because they need to save money to pay for Pujols, and they have an entire rotation under contract. Where are you going to fit Buehrle into a rotation that consists of Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Westbrook, and Lohse (who is due like $10 million)? What value does he add? The answer to that is "virtually nothing," so any trade involving that Cardinals does not involve starting pitching going over.

The main player the Cardinals would be interested in would be Alexei Ramirez. You'd also have to include Morel or Viciedo, and then another prospect too. People like to say that Rasmus isn't proven, but, lucky or not, the guy put up a .276/.361/.498/.859 line last year while playing CF. That's pretty much like Beckham doing the same thing. Are you going to trade Beckham if he does that, even if he said that he enjoyed sex with women over the age of 60 and wanted to make love to Ozzie's wife?

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
The Cardinals need pitching and some more power, we match with them if their financial situation can handle either player.

I suppose you could say that about any team, but the Cardinals currently have 5 starting pitchers

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
What does Quentin bring that Rasmus doesn't? Terrible defense from an easier position? I also don't know where you get the idea that Williams has stated that the White Sox are interested in Rasmus - if he said that, he'd either be guilty of tampering or you have a pretty damn good source and shouldn't be posting that kind of information on here. Beyond ANY of that, LaRussa has (virtually) no control over personnel decisions, and it's up to John Mozeliak to determine whether or not Colby Rasmus gets moved. Considering Rasmus has like 4 years left before he hits free agency, and LaRussa has like 2 years left before he hits the links, I think he's probably going to keep Rasmus.

Buehrle obviously makes no sense because they need to save money to pay for Pujols, and they have an entire rotation under contract. Where are you going to fit Buehrle into a rotation that consists of Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Westbrook, and Lohse (who is due like $10 million)? What value does he add? The answer to that is "virtually nothing," so any trade involving that Cardinals does not involve starting pitching going over.

The main player the Cardinals would be interested in would be Alexei Ramirez. You'd also have to include Morel or Viciedo, and then another prospect too. People like to say that Rasmus isn't proven, but, lucky or not, the guy put up a .276/.361/.498/.859 line last year while playing CF. That's pretty much like Beckham doing the same thing. Are you going to trade Beckham if he does that, even if he said that he enjoyed sex with women over the age of 60 and wanted to make love to Ozzie's wife?

Are you saying you think it would take Ramirez, Viciedo and a prospect to get Rasmus? That price seems ridiculous. Why is Rasmus worth so much more than Ramirez?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Are you saying you think it would take Ramirez, Viciedo and a prospect to get Rasmus? That price seems ridiculous. Why is Rasmus worth so much more than Ramirez?

He's 4 years younger than Ramirez. I'd consider Quentin, Ramirez, and Viciedo for Rasmus. Consider ...

I was thinking about this the other day and it probably won't happen because LA is loaded with pitching.

But what about a Jackson for Kemp swap. They both are in contract years, money owed is $8.35(Jackson) and $6.95(Kemp).

Maybe include $1-$2 Mil to make it a wash or a low-level OF prospect like Tyler Kuhn.

...Quentin could then be used to get a young #4-5 starter. Someone mentioned the Reds, which would make an interesting trade partner.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
I was thinking about this the other day and it probably won't happen because LA is loaded with pitching.

But what about a Jackson for Kemp swap. They both are in contract years, money owed is $8.35(Jackson) and $6.95(Kemp).

Maybe include $1-$2 Mil to make it a wash or a low-level OF prospect like Tyler Kuhn.

...Quentin could then be used to get a young #4-5 starter. Someone mentioned the Reds, which would make an interesting trade partner.

I'd be interested in Kemp, but not at the expense of one of our starters. Keep the rotation as is and if there's a way to get Kemp only using Quentin and minor leaguers then I'd consider it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
If Konerko is signed, Dayan Viciedo.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
if we sign konerko maybe a viciedo for bell swap?

Heath Bell is a free agent at the end of next season, but I'm assuming he'll be type A. I'd consider trading Viciedo for him but I wouldn't give anything else of value.