Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

Last year Peña was a bad version of Andruw Jones, but with a full year of at-bats. No thanks.

We're here to contend.

Also, Peña fits the roid profile, and while not young to begin with--we all know those guys do not age well unless they continue treatment.

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Great point about the draft picks. But how often do you get a chance to sign a guy who contended for the MVP at this price? Other teams surely were not given this sweet deal for the third year deferring.

If GMs are to take advantage of unique situations and pounce, then I'd call this deferring a little more advantageous than getting boom-or-bust-very-often-bust MLB draft picks.

DLee contended for more MVPs than Konerko.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
I like it, very fair price and creative with the deferred money. I would have preferred DLee, personally, but I don't feel we overpaid compared to Paulie's market value at all.

Exactly my thoughts. I've been saying the whole time that Derrek Lee made the most sense but I certainly wasn't going to complain if PK came back. This team is now set offensively and in the rotation, just need to add a few arms to the pen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
So as of right now we have pretty much the same exact offensive lineup from last year except Dunn replaces Kotsay...right?

Other than third base, yea. I doubt were going to see Vizquel or Teahen starting there most the year. My money is on it being Morel's job to lose.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
It's 1M per year deferred. Seriously, that is nothing and would never get in the way or any sort of sign or trade.

This is where it starts though. Do you think teams mean to get themselves in trouble when they defer money? Then all the sudden you wake up and you're cutting checks to Luis Castillo in 2024.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Couldn't you have made the exact same argument against Thome for his second half 2009? And he's at least 3-4 years older.

There is/was absolutely no signs about Sox bringing Dye back. I wish him well, I hope he gets on a team and plays regularly, but you don't see teams storming in trying to sign him as he know will play for peanuts.

Another thing to consider is that contending teams very often give multiyear contracts to aging, still-producing players. That's just one of the responsibilities of being a winning organization these days.

Yankees don't get 1 year of Andruw Jones for 500K, and they dont get 1 year of Carlos Peña to be Andruw Jones like at 10M. They pay their older past-allstars a multiyear contract.

If Konerko had taken one year, there's also no guarantee we would've been able to sign some all-star 1B the following year. Looking at our pre-Dunn FA record of late, I'd say it's actually very unlikely.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
So as of right now we have pretty much the same exact offensive lineup from last year except Dunn replaces Kotsay...right?

right, and the Kotsay to Dunn improvement is such an insane leap.

I'm OK with the numbers, I wanted PK back at something reasonable and this seems it.

We'll see if this is the final line-up though, KW still has over 3 months left, wouldn't be surprised if some other team bit on Q