Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Yep. And I would have said go play in Baltimore.

He expressed no interest in Baltimore and even his agent told them that.

It was never a realistic option.

it's always an option when contract is actually offered, it's one thing not to show a preference, but if one team is low balling you in your opinion and the other is offering market value or over, it can easily become a realistic option...

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Is your concern that he'll be unable to play 1B and produce in year 3? Or that there are going to be tons of holes we can't fill by year 3 and will want that money?

The way I see it, there is a decently aged core and some money coming off the books by then that will mitigate that.

And our best prospect is a 1B.

YOu just helped his argument then you know. Having another contract that expires along with others next year gives you flexibility to re-up with players or to blow it up. And with everyone leaving, these extra draft picks wouldve been nice to help rebuild the system. Plus, as you mention, Dayan would be ready to fill in after a year.

DLee was just a flatout better option.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
YOu just helped his argument then you know. Having another contract that expires along with others next year gives you flexibility to re-up with players or to blow it up. And with everyone leaving, these extra draft picks wouldve been nice to help rebuild the system. Plus, as you mention, Dayan would be ready to fill in after a year.

I wouldn't have minded the D-Lee option, but it's not like he comes with low risk... he's coming off a terrible season, off-season wrist surgery and nobody has any idea what his money demands are

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Yep. And I would have said go play in Baltimore.

He expressed no interest in Baltimore and even his agent told them that.

It was never a realistic option.

I thought your point was that he cared more about money than winning? This post seems to be evidence to the contrary.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)

On the surface we can say this, but in truth we have no idea right now what creates flexibility or doesnt.

Does having Konerko jerseys to sell create payroll flexibility for next year? Does increased 2011 attendance create flexibiliity more than Derrek Lee contract savings do? Those are possibilities.

Paulie gets paid because he builds on last year's team to create excitement (read: ticket sales) for next year. Bringing in Lee alienates the silly no-Cub-should-ever-be-a-Sox people, as well as hampers excitement about the 3-4-5 in our lineup a bit. People with those beliefs buy tickets, as well as the people who consider PK their hero and their kids' hero.

In JR's world payroll flexibility is more complex than just saying, oh crap, that's 6M in 2013 that we won't be able to spend. Right now he has to create excitement for the 2011 ballclub and sell a bunch of tickets. This Paulie move is a way of infusing some buzz into the fanbase. Signing D-Lee would be saying: come buy tickets for our Rios/Dunn/Lee 3-4-5. That's good but not sending the message that this is a clear improvement on last year.

EDIT: and if you're talking about increasing payroll flexibility for 2012 to have some huge spending spree...i dont even know what to think about that. I'm happy getting away from the world of trying to nab the Torii's/Fukudome's year in and year out and being passed up.

I'll miss our compensatory picks, but I wont trade all-star 1Bs for possible Kyle McCullochs.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
On the surface we can say this, but in truth we have no idea right now what creates flexibility or doesnt.

Does having Konerko jerseys to sell create payroll flexibility for next year? Does increased 2011 attendance create flexibiliity more than Derrek Lee contract savings do? Those are possibilities.

Paulie gets paid because he builds on last year's team to create excitement (read: ticket sales) for next year. Bringing in Lee alienates the silly no-Cub-should-ever-be-a-Sox people, as well as hampers excitement about the 3-4-5 in our lineup a bit. People with those beliefs buy tickets, as well as the people who consider PK their hero and their kids' hero.

In JR's world payroll flexibility is more complex than just saying, oh crap, that's 6M in 2013 that we won't be able to spend.

Jersey sales are part of league revenue sharing, so really no change.

Attendance depends on if this team wins, pretty simple.

$104.55M payroll right now, still have the 3 arb guys to sign.

The deal isn't bad or great in my mind, it just kind of is. The differed money makes the 3rd year far more palatable.

Eh, it's really annoying when money is being thrown around based on past performance and sentimental value as opposed to future value. Konerko only came close to earning his previous $12M per deal in the final year of the deal went he turned in the best year of his career, I don't think this bodes well for his age 35-37 seasons when he'll be earning even more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)

Even if jersey sales were a significant source of revenue, I'd argue that by signing Lee the Sox would have seen MORE jerseys sold. If you don't have a Konerko jersey after 12 years with the Sox, you aren't getting one. Who has ever bought Sox tickets just to go see Paul Konerko play? That's kind of funny to say.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Even if jersey sales were a significant source of revenue, I'd argue that by signing Lee the Sox would have seen MORE jerseys sold. If you don't have a Konerko jersey after 12 years with the Sox, you aren't getting one. Who has ever bought Sox tickets just to go see Paul Konerko play? That's kind of funny to say.

::orders Adam Dunn jersey::

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)

Tickets are sold before the year starts as well as during the year.

Also minor point, but having your team's jerseys all over the city is part of getting your brand out there and winning the battle of Chicagoans' entertainment dollars. It indirectly brings in revenue.

A new Lee Sox jersey would sell, true, but the excitement created by Konerko/Dunn as having monster potential together is going to have its impact as well. I think we're about to see it.

Edited by Princess Dye

Can't express how happy I am with this offseason so far. Yeah, our bullpen is iffy, but that can be said for basically every team out there since bullpen arms are largely crapshoots anyways. Kenny will do all he can to find some help down there even though we're basically out of money. I know i'm normally the negative guy, but assuming the rest of the winter goes like I'd expect it to, I really like our chances in 2011.

Even if jersey sales were a significant source of revenue, I'd argue that by signing Lee the Sox would have seen MORE jerseys sold. If you don't have a Konerko jersey after 12 years with the Sox, you aren't getting one. Who has ever bought Sox tickets just to go see Paul Konerko play? That's kind of funny to say

Every year there are tons of young kids buying new jerseys. Paulie is the team's leader, one of the most likely jerseys for these new consumers to be into. Lee would be coming in as an unknown.

Lets also remember this -- even though I'm not one of them, there are those people out there who will run out to buy the new Sox road grey simply because the sleeve change on the old one is now unauthentic.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
You're astounded?

I want JJ Putz as my damned closer. PK precluded that from happening.

Stop acting like his kids would go hungry if he took 3/$30.

If someone was going to need to take a $$$ hit to bring Putz back, why does that fall on Konerko? If it's just about who has the most money to afford the hit, then why wasn't it on Reinsdorf to suck up a couple extra million? His kids wouldn't go hungry. Seems pretty arbitrary (and unfair) to link Konerko to Putz like that. As it is, Konerko agreed to defer some $$$ (lowering the present value of his contract) to give the Sox more flexibility. I'm not sure you can really expect more than that.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
If someone was going to need to take a $$$ hit to bring Putz back, why does that fall on Konerko? If it's just about who has the most money to afford the hit, then why wasn't it on Reinsdorf to suck up a couple extra million? His kids wouldn't go hungry. Seems pretty arbitrary (and unfair) to link Konerko to Putz like that. As it is, Konerko agreed to defer some $$$ (lowering the present value of his contract) to give the Sox more flexibility. I'm not sure you can really expect more than that.

There's one other possibility...the team itself didn't think Putz was going to be healthy enough to be worth a 2 year contract.