Dayan Viciedo

fathom

Dayan's value is going to be pretty high I think. The question is if we want to make him an OF or not. If not, then he's probably gone. The Sox, if they trade him, aren't going to trade him because they think he sucks or they've given up on him, they'll trade him because he can get them a very good baseball player.

I could see the Sox holding on to him this year as insurance though, because if the Sox fail to make the playoffs this year then we probably blow it all up and Paulie and/or Dunn may be gone, opening a spot for Viciedo again.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Dayan's value is going to be pretty high I think. The question is if we want to make him an OF or not. If not, then he's probably gone. The Sox, if they trade him, aren't going to trade him because they think he sucks or they've given up on him, they'll trade him because he can get them a very good baseball player.

I could see the Sox holding on to him this year as insurance though, because if the Sox fail to make the playoffs this year then we probably blow it all up and Paulie and/or Dunn may be gone, opening a spot for Viciedo again.

I don't think his trade value is as high as we'd like to think. He's so far pretty much limited to 1b based on everything we've seen, and while he's shown extreme power, the saber-side will note his total lack of OBP skills.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't think his trade value is as high as we'd like to think. He's so far pretty much limited to 1b based on everything we've seen, and while he's shown extreme power, the saber-side will note his total lack of OBP skills.

The saber side would be absolutely retarded to undervalue Dayan. They like SLG and OPS don't they? And 21-year-old players?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
There was some talk albeit I don't know how truthful about him having problems with perception, flyballs etc.

I've heard that, but with limited experience and being so young couldn't that always change? I really think it's worth our time to give it a try with him.

In 106 PA at the MLB level Viciedo hit .308/.321/.519/.840 as a 21-year-old rookie. If you multiply that by 5 then in 530 PA that's 35 2B, 25 HR, and while only 10 BBs, that's only 125 K's. Obviously you can't do that, and in a full season there will be ups and downs, but the power numbers could very well be like that as a rookie. Put it this way, in 2011 Viciedo is probably already better than Adam LaRoche. And he's making $1.25M and has 6 years of control left.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
I'm probably biggest TCQ fan on this board but I would love if Quentin/Viciedo could bring us a top reliever/RF.

We have a RF'er in CQ. It is stillpossible we see a battler in ST between Viciedo and Morel for that 3B job. Nothing has been handed to anyone that I know of plus we have Teahan in the picture. There are trade possibilities for sure

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
We have a RF'er in CQ. It is stillpossible we see a battler in ST between Viciedo and Morel for that 3B job. Nothing has been handed to anyone that I know of plus we have Teahan in the picture. There are trade possibilities for sure

The stuff I've heard out of the Org seems to suggest that they really like Morel's glove and think his bat will come around quickly, while they clearly don't trust Viciedo's glove or Teahen's glove or bat at all for 3b.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)

We have a dh in rf, we really don't have a rf'er. And 3b is Morel's job.

I'd really prefer not to deal Viciedo unless it's for a proven BP guy. My biggest fear is him turning into a monster one it clicks on for him. We really don't know what we have on our hands right now with him. He's so young...and you really don't see many guys who have the ball jump off his bat quite like him.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I'd really prefer not to deal Viciedo unless it's for a proven BP guy. My biggest fear is him turning into a monster one it clicks on for him. We really don't know what we have on our hands right now with him. He's so young...and you really don't see many guys who have the ball jump off his bat quite like him.

I would trade him for a dominant, young, cheap closer, or a good, young, team controlled starter. Just a bullpen piece or a mediocre veteran starter wouldn't be enough for me to trade the best positional prospect we have.