Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
wite, how did you end up with this opportunity? What exactly are you doing -- just driving him around? Also, what are his "presentations" about?

We all know how these things work. Wite is probably f***ing his way into the entertainment business. Seriously.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course that's it!

In all seriousness, my entrepreneurship advisor was Val's former personal assistant, and he had a couple gigs set up in the Bismarck area. Another of her students now, and a guy I've done a lot of work with, remembered that I was in Bismarck and asked if I'd like to help out. I'm obviously not going to say no to that. So basically, total luck.

I'll make a thread later tonight and tell what I can or what I remember, but it was pretty incredible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
I can't imagine the feeling walking those grounds. I know how powerful it was to stand at the top of Little Round Top in Gettysburg PA and imagine the battlefield in 1863. At least those guys had a fighting chance.

It was amazing (and obviously disgusting) how efficient they became. And since they technically had 3 different Auschwitz camps, the Polish Red Cross saw only the "humane" one (Auschwitz 1). This one actually had brick barracks (used to be for soldiers) and was reserved for Polish and non Jewish POWs, the conditions were still terrible and they basically all worked to death, but from the accounts of the survivors Auschwitz 1 was looked at as a hotel comparatively. The shooting wall was located here though, along with the first test gas chamber (which you get to walk through, it was later changed into a bombshelter). Most of the history is kept here since the brick barracks have with held quite well over the years. You'll see piles of shoes, hair, personal belongings, luggage, etc that was left by the Nazi's in their haste to flee the camp. The saddest part was the thousands of pairs of children shoes they had in one pile, if the child was under 12 years old or unfit to work (and they all arrived on a 5-7 day train with no food) then they were sent immediately to Auschwitz 2 for the gas chambers.

Auschwitz 2, where the mass murders occurred, was 1 km long, and very few of the wooden barracks are left. There is only about one row left, and that's because they were originally built as stables for 52 horses, but stored at least 400 people each. When you go past the first row of barracks here, all you see is just old chimneys, and rows of them, because that's all that is left of the old wooden barracks. It was just astonishing being there, knowing 1.4 million people lost their lives there.

One last interesting tidbit, the USA actually received a few reports from Polish residents who risked their lives to report the camp to the government. But President Roosevelt (or some high ranking general, I can't remember) replied saying "Thanks for the report, but this is just to hard to believe." The USA actually had aerial recon shots of the 3 camp grounds, but only targeted Auschwitz 3 as a strategic point since there was a chemical plant there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
If it was years ago, and you didn't get in any sort of trouble for it so it's not traceable, I don't know why you'd admit to it. You may be forced to write a letter of explanation or something perhaps. But if the only way they can see if you are lying is by hooking you up to a lie detector, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't happen, I don't know what admitting to it does. I figure it would raise more red flags by checking yes?

You might want to get an answer from someone that did answer yes on it, especially on the WI bar, however.

It is potentially traceable in that a couple of my character references know that I did. They are attorneys now and know the deal, but I can't tell them to lie for me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 06:27 AM)
It was amazing (and obviously disgusting) how efficient they became. And since they technically had 3 different Auschwitz camps, the Polish Red Cross saw only the "humane" one (Auschwitz 1). This one actually had brick barracks (used to be for soldiers) and was reserved for Polish and non Jewish POWs, the conditions were still terrible and they basically all worked to death, but from the accounts of the survivors Auschwitz 1 was looked at as a hotel comparatively. The shooting wall was located here though, along with the first test gas chamber (which you get to walk through, it was later changed into a bombshelter). Most of the history is kept here since the brick barracks have with held quite well over the years. You'll see piles of shoes, hair, personal belongings, luggage, etc that was left by the Nazi's in their haste to flee the camp. The saddest part was the thousands of pairs of children shoes they had in one pile, if the child was under 12 years old or unfit to work (and they all arrived on a 5-7 day train with no food) then they were sent immediately to Auschwitz 2 for the gas chambers.

Auschwitz 2, where the mass murders occurred, was 1 km long, and very few of the wooden barracks are left. There is only about one row left, and that's because they were originally built as stables for 52 horses, but stored at least 400 people each. When you go past the first row of barracks here, all you see is just old chimneys, and rows of them, because that's all that is left of the old wooden barracks. It was just astonishing being there, knowing 1.4 million people lost their lives there.

One last interesting tidbit, the USA actually received a few reports from Polish residents who risked their lives to report the camp to the government. But President Roosevelt (or some high ranking general, I can't remember) replied saying "Thanks for the report, but this is just to hard to believe." The USA actually had aerial recon shots of the 3 camp grounds, but only targeted Auschwitz 3 as a strategic point since there was a chemical plant there.

What went on at the third site?

In reference to the bold part, I can't fault whoever said that. It more than likely would have been too far fetched to believe at the time. Hell, there are still morons to this day that refute the possibility of the Holocaust.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Just got back from Auschwitz (we're currently visiting Krakow), what an intense place to see. Also, I had no idea that there were 3 different Auschwitz camps, very interesting to see the difference between the two remaining.

I went there when I was like 13, pretty bone chilling stuff, especially at that age. My grandpa was in the Polish army and luckily was captured by the Russians instead, so he survived, but basically all the females in his family died at Auschwitz.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
Mike Murphy = bad radio. I also have no idea how someone can like both him and B/B, blows the mind.

I think they are only weekends anyway, I don't think Waddle/Silvy are going anywhere?

I was directly to that poster's request to have Murph do weekdays 9-1.

Right now I'm a happy camper with Waddle & Silvy 9-1 and then B&B directly following!

G&T its a tough decision. Especially if there is a concern that a character reference will explicitly state it.

I personally did not reveal information that I did not feel was traceable. I also did not use any references that could say any bad things about me.

I had a few situations that I had to disclose, but most of them were when I was young so it was not a big deal. Im not sure I know anyone who has said yes to that question, Ill try and ask around, but my guess is that everyone denies all drug use.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
G&T its a tough decision. Especially if there is a concern that a character reference will explicitly state it.

I personally did not reveal information that I did not feel was traceable. I also did not use any references that could say any bad things about me.

I had a few situations that I had to disclose, but most of them were when I was young so it was not a big deal. Im not sure I know anyone who has said yes to that question, Ill try and ask around, but my guess is that everyone denies all drug use.

You'd be crazy not to...

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
I am applying to the WI bar. It asks if I ever used marijuana. Of course the answer is "yes" while I was in college. It was only a couple times actually and haven't touched it since. I am going to admit to it though they wouldn't find out, but lying is probably worse than admitting it. Anyone have any experience with this? Do they actually care at all?

I've been down that road when testing for a federal agency. I elected to admit it, because in this case, I knew for a fact they would be digging deep in their background investigation, as that was par for the course. They even said, hey, a little of that sort of thing in your background isn't a problem. Lying about it, however, will get you cut.

With the bar, I really don't know if they do anything more than a simple electronic background check.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)

Thanks. I don't think it's a real concern that anyone will say anything but I don't want to worry about it. Like NSS said, getting caught in a lie is way worse. I'm admitted in NY and they didn't even ask this question.

Having said that, it sucks to know that being honest can cause more problems than lying.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I was directly to that poster's request to have Murph do weekdays 9-1.

Right now I'm a happy camper with Waddle & Silvy 9-1 and then B&B directly following!

Ah, gotcha.

Yes, that lineup is awesome, it's my daily listening.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I went there when I was like 13, pretty bone chilling stuff, especially at that age. My grandpa was in the Polish army and luckily was captured by the Russians instead, so he survived, but basically all the females in his family died at Auschwitz.

If he was in the Polish army, why was he captured by the Russians?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)

The Russians Also invaded Poland in 1939. The war started shortly after the USSR and Germany signed the "Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact" (named after the 2 foreign ministers) which was a peace deal between those 2 countries but which also partitioned Poland between the 2.

Poland had been a colony of both Russia and Germany prior to WWI, so those countries wanted the territory back. The Germans invaded Poland first. A couple weeks later, before Poland fell completely, the Soviets did from the other side.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)

What Balta said.

The Soviets may have helped take down the Nazis, but they weren't exactly model citizens during the war. That's part of how their communist reign was able to take over so much of Eastern Europe.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
I did know that the Russians had a pact early on in the war with the Germans and that they basically only joined the Allies because the Germans eventually attacked them, but I guess I figured that his grandfather was captured towards the end of the war.

I'm not sure exactly when it was, but I know he is in the POW camp for several years, so I assume it was towards the earlier parts.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
What went on at the third site?

In reference to the bold part, I can't fault whoever said that. It more than likely would have been too far fetched to believe at the time. Hell, there are still morons to this day that refute the possibility of the Holocaust.

I actually said there was a chemical factory there, but I meant to say ammunition factory that they used jewish labor for free. As soon as the workers died they were replaced by another wave.

And agreed, I just found it interesting that the Polish people, who did not live very close at all, risked their lives to report the situation.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
I am applying to the WI bar. It asks if I ever used marijuana. Of course the answer is "yes" while I was in college. It was only a couple times actually and haven't touched it since. I am going to admit to it though they wouldn't find out, but lying is probably worse than admitting it. Anyone have any experience with this? Do they actually care at all?

I'm not going to lie, I'd probably lie like hell. If you don't use it regularly and used it a few times in college, putting it down is probably going to create more work than you'd want to deal with and no one would ever know that you lied.

I knew a guy who was applying to the policy academy and they asked him if he ever smoked marijuana, he said one time (which was true, he tried once in his entire life). They told him he'd have to reapply at a later date. I don't know more details than that.