2011 HOF is Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven.

southsider2k5

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
I'm hoping to go then as well. I was there once before, but was too young to remember it all.

I went in 6th grade i think. I dont remember much at all. My wife and i try to do a "state" vacation every year where we pick a state and visit places throughout. I just talked to her and she's ok with NY in 2014.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
The players who got sustaining level votes:

Coming onto the ballot (according to Baseball Reference)

• Bernie Williams
  • Vinny Castilla
  • Javy Lopez
  • Ruben Sierra
  • Jeff Nelson
  • Jeromy Burnitz
  • Tim Salmon
  • Mike Matheny
  • Edgardo Alfonzo
  • Danny Graves
  • Tony Womack
  • Scott Erickson
  • Jeff Fassero
  • Phil Nevin
  • Carl Everett
  • Brian Jordan
  • Eric Young
  • Tim Worrell
  • Bill Mueller
  • Joe Randa
  • Matt Lawton
  • Terry Mulholland
  • Jose Lima
  • Brad Radke
  • Rick Helling
  • Felix Rodriguez
  • Mike Remlinger
Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
OK ESPN has the list up now...

Baines got 28 votes, which I believe is 4.82%. So, he now drops off the list.

The players who got sustaining level votes:

Roberto Alomar 523 90.0

Bert Blyleven 463 79.7

Barry Larkin 361 62.1

Jack Morris 311 53.5

Lee Smith 263 45.3

Jeff Bagwell 242 41.7

Tim Raines 218 37.5

Edgar Martinez 191 32.9

Alan Trammell 141 24.3

Larry Walker 118 20.3

Mark McGwire 115 19.8

Fred McGriff 104 17.9

Dave Parker 89 15.3

Don Mattingly 79 13.6

Dale Murphy 73 12.6

Rafael Palmeiro 64 11.0

I think McGwire went down from last year.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm hoping to go then as well. I was there once before, but was too young to remember it all.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
I went in 6th grade i think. I dont remember much at all. My wife and i try to do a "state" vacation every year where we pick a state and visit places throughout. I just talked to her and she's ok with NY in 2014.

I always take for granted the fact that this is the case with most people. I've been fortunate enough to visit Cooperstown numerous times since I grew up and went to college in upstate NY. I even had the opportunity to present my senior thesis at the annual symposium there a few years back. Regardless, I'm absolutely going to be there in 2014 to see Frank get in. Just a word of advice in advance, book your hotel the day he gets in because those places fill up FAST.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
And Alomar was a shoo-in, as he's probably (and in my opinion, definitely) the greatest 2B of all time.

I'd take Joe Morgan. But, yeah, Alomar is right up there with him. Probably the best 2B of our generation.

Roberto Alomar was one of the 5 best players I've ever seen. And Bagwell not getting in pretty much confirms that there's no way Frank is getting in on the first ballot. I know he's got the 500 HRs. But they'll definitely use the fact he was a DH for most of those against him.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Roberto Alomar was one of the 5 best players I've ever seen. And Bagwell not getting in pretty much confirms that there's no way Frank is getting in on the first ballot. I know he's got the 500 HRs. But they'll definitely use the fact he was a DH for most of those against him.

there's a chance he gets in 1st ballot if enough voters have decided he will be the golden example of a guy they think didn't juice during the era and reward him for it, but yes, I think he'll wait a year and it will be strictly "punishment" for being a DH so long, even though during his crazy first seven years he played a good amount of 1b...

How do you guys think A-Rod will eventually be handled? 1st ballot, one year "punishment" from writers or long time to get in?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
And Bagwell not getting in pretty much confirms that there's no way Frank is getting in on the first ballot. I know he's got the 500 HRs. But they'll definitely use the fact he was a DH for most of those against him.

Bagwell was arguably not as dominant as Frank was in his prime. Frank has more MVPs, more finishes in the Top 5 in MVP voting, and a batting title. Not to mention that he played longer and has better overall numbers as well. I think there's a good chance that Frank does get in on the first ballot.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm happy for Blylevin, but Morris was every bit his superior, IMO

^^^ Absolutely this ^^^

Jack Morris was THE dominant AL starter from the 80s. More importantly, Burt just getting the love because he's been campaigning as a member of the media and is viewed as Mr. Nice Guy. Lame

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)

Frank & Bagwell are a bit different because of the PED issue. IMO, I think people aren't sure about Bagwell because they think he may have juiced. I know he was never connected a single steroid allegation, but due to his size, power, and the era he played in, I think voters may have questioned him. Frank obviously was the loudest speaker against steroids the whole time, so if there is anyone who can be assumed close to 100% clean, it is him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Bagwell was arguably not as dominant as Frank was in his prime. Frank has more MVPs, more finishes in the Top 5 in MVP voting, and a batting title. Not to mention that he played longer and has better overall numbers as well. I think there's a good chance that Frank does get in on the first ballot.

Oh I agree. But Bagwell played the field. Frank didn't most of his career. I think that's going to play a big role.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
^^^ Absolutely this ^^^

Jack Morris was THE dominant AL starter from the 80s. More importantly, Burt just getting the love because he's been campaigning as a member of the media and is viewed as Mr. Nice Guy. Lame

Being too young to remember 80s baseball well, if Jack Morris was THE dominant AL starter, why are his numbers so mediocre? A career ERA+ of only 105? Yikes. It's not like he has a bunch of monster Koufax/Pedro seasons mixed in there either.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)

People are convinced Bagwell juiced. I don't know why, but they are. That seems to be holding him back somewhat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
People are convinced Bagwell juiced. I don't know why, but they are. That seems to be holding him back somewhat.

I believe at least 1 reporter did accuse him of being a user a few years ago.

To be honest though, this is one case where having the full official name list from the 2003 tests could really help a player, if he's not on it.