2011 Soccer Season

Texsox

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
Michael Bradley joins Aston Villa on loan. The Americans are gaining numbers in the EPL. I'm glad I'll be able to watch him a bit more.

Agreed. He was playing a good sized role at Gladbach but he was kind of buried there.

Also, Chelsea just paid a s*** ton for Torres, which given his recent injury history is kind of surprising.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Agreed. He was playing a good sized role at Gladbach but he was kind of buried there.

Also, Chelsea just paid a s*** ton for Torres, which given his recent injury history is kind of surprising.

I thought Chelsea already had enough good strikers in Anelka and Drogba.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
Charlie Davies might be headed on loan to DC United.

That would be a good move for him. He needs to be on a team that will let him play a lot to see if he's still got anything left.

And Jozy was transfered to Bursaspor. Obviously they aren't Villareal but he wasn't playing much and Bursaspor are the reigning Turkish League champs and are involved in Euro competitions so they are still a good squad. Hopefully he can get some significant time over there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
And Jozy was transfered to Bursaspor. Obviously they aren't Villareal but he wasn't playing much and Bursaspor are the reigning Turkish League champs and are involved in Euro competitions so they are still a good squad. Hopefully he can get some significant time over there.

Altidore's career is at the point where unless he picks it up soon at a good European League, he could the way of Freddy Adu.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Altidore's career is at the point where unless he picks it up soon at a good European League, he could the way of Freddy Adu.

This is an absurd statement for several reasons.

(1) Jozy was getting playing time this year at Villareal, the third place team in La Liga. Yes, his minutes mostly came in Copa del Rey and Europa Cup competition (scoring twice), but he was getting playing time on a monster club, playing behind Rossi and Nilmar.

(2) Jozy was loaned, not sold. Given the reported interest in him, Villareal could have recouped some of their investment (they paid $10 million for Jozy initially) by selling him off. The loan shows that Villareal still believes in Jozy Altidore's ability to help their club in the future.

(3) He wasn't loaned off to some second division club. Buraspor won the Turkish League last year and are just 2 points off the pace this year. Kenny Miller from Rangers was just loaned to them as well. The fact of the matter is that coaches seem to like what they see in Jozy, not something that can be for Adu.

(4) He's 21 years old. At 21, he has 9 goals for the National Team, played a crucial role on a successful World Cup campaign (beautiful move where he hit the post vs. England, the awesome knock down for the assist on Bradley's goal against Slovenia, he played the crucial play into the middle to Dempsey that led to The Goal against Algeria, he drew countless yellow cards from defenders - he did everything but score goals in that tournament). Unlike Adu who is so far out of the National Team picture right now.

5) The knock on Jozy early in his European career was his training habits. There have been no recent reports that this is an issue and he is developing into a pretty decent target forward.

6) The knock on Adu seems to be that his training habits are bad and that his slight build allows him to be pushed around. Adu eventually needs to move back to MLS as he clearly is not wanted by any top flight European clubs (see the fact that Benefica finally was able to loan him to a second division Turkish club after months of failed trials). To compare him to Jozy (reported interest from top flight teams in England, Spain and, obviously, Turkey at the transfer deadline) is comparing apples and oranges.

At the end of the day, American soccer fans need to be patient with Jozy. He's not Messi. He's not Mueller. He's not a finished product at 21 like those players were. He has a somewhat heavy touch, and his goal scoring instincts aren't there right now. He needs playing time to continue his development and, ideally this move is going to give him that. If we are asking these questions of Altidore in 2014, or if the first division interest in him overseas ever dries up, then there is a problem. But to compare his situation to Adu is short sighted and, frankly, just plain wrong. End of rant.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
This is an absurd statement for several reasons.

(1) Jozy was getting playing time this year at Villareal, the third place team in La Liga. Yes, his minutes mostly came in Copa del Rey and Europa Cup competition (scoring twice), but he was getting playing time on a monster club, playing behind Rossi and Nilmar.

(2) Jozy was loaned, not sold. Given the reported interest in him, Villareal could have recouped some of their investment (they paid $10 million for Jozy initially) by selling him off. The loan shows that Villareal still believes in Jozy Altidore's ability to help their club in the future.

(3) He wasn't loaned off to some second division club. Buraspor won the Turkish League last year and are just 2 points off the pace this year. Kenny Miller from Rangers was just loaned to them as well. The fact of the matter is that coaches seem to like what they see in Jozy, not something that can be for Adu.

(4) He's 21 years old. At 21, he has 9 goals for the National Team, played a crucial role on a successful World Cup campaign (beautiful move where he hit the post vs. England, the awesome knock down for the assist on Bradley's goal against Slovenia, he played the crucial play into the middle to Dempsey that led to The Goal against Algeria, he drew countless yellow cards from defenders - he did everything but score goals in that tournament). Unlike Adu who is so far out of the National Team picture right now.

5) The knock on Jozy early in his European career was his training habits. There have been no recent reports that this is an issue and he is developing into a pretty decent target forward.

6) The knock on Adu seems to be that his training habits are bad and that his slight build allows him to be pushed around. Adu eventually needs to move back to MLS as he clearly is not wanted by any top flight European clubs (see the fact that Benefica finally was able to loan him to a second division Turkish club after months of failed trials). To compare him to Jozy (reported interest from top flight teams in England, Spain and, obviously, Turkey at the transfer deadline) is comparing apples and oranges.

At the end of the day, American soccer fans need to be patient with Jozy. He's not Messi. He's not Mueller. He's not a finished product at 21 like those players were. He has a somewhat heavy touch, and his goal scoring instincts aren't there right now. He needs playing time to continue his development and, ideally this move is going to give him that. If we are asking these questions of Altidore in 2014, or if the first division interest in him overseas ever dries up, then there is a problem. But to compare his situation to Adu is short sighted and, frankly, just plain wrong. End of rant.

Ok you make some good points there on Altidore, and obviously you follow him pretty closely there.

I suppose my judgement on him was based a lot on what I saw of him back when he was on loan at Hull City (albeit a s*** club). Just didn't seem as if he belonged at that level, at that time.

What he needs is regular first team football. Don't know if long - term the Turkish League is the type of league where he should stay long - term, but it's a start I guess. FWIW, I didn't really see Altidore's named mentioned much for teams in the EPL at the deadline.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Ok you make some good points there on Altidore, and obviously you follow him pretty closely there.

I suppose my judgement on him was based a lot on what I saw of him back when he was on loan at Hull City (albeit a s*** club). Just didn't seem as if he belonged at that level, at that time.

What he needs is regular first team football. Don't know if long - term the Turkish League is the type of league where he should stay long - term, but it's a start I guess. FWIW, I didn't really see Altidore's named mentioned much for teams in the EPL at the deadline.

The EPL talk came from this article on the MLS website http://www.mlsnet.com/news/article/america...oaned-bursaspor

I agree that Hull was not an ideal situation for Jozy. He got absolutely no service whatsoever, but that was just an all around bad club situation for him.

I also agree with you on Turkey. Turkey is a good technical league, and Jozy will learn how to handle some seriously hostile crowds. But it's not an ideal long term situation given that fitness seems to be a four letter word.

This could end up being an ideal year for Jozy though. He clearly needs technical improvement, and I can't think of many better places to develop that than in Spain. And he got some decent club experience (made the bench in almost every game, got some good games in Copa del Rey and Europa) while there. But now he needs playing time. Hopefully he gets playing time in Turkey because he clearly needs games right now to get his finishing touch back.

There are definite concerns about Jozy, but Adu is a lost cause. I think the problem with the comparison is that Adu is really bad while Jozy still has potential. I still have faith in Jozy because physically he can be top tier. He almost certainly never will be, but he has all the tools. No reason he can't develop into a solid top league caliber striker.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Chicharito kicking butt for Man U :headbang

Best 3rd striker in the world for any club I'd argubly say right now.

His pace off the mark and finishing ability is just about elite already. Seriously reminds me a lot of Michael Owen at the same age (which is ironic because Owen's obviously at Man Utd right now).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Man Utd lost for the 1st time all season today to f***ing Wolves.

Since Wigan also won, I'm sickened as a West Ham fan right now...

And Newcastle came back to draw Arsenal after being down 4-0. First time in EPL history that's happened. Crazy day yesterday.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
How old are they?

7th Grade girls. For most it is their first time playing. I have them in a 4-4-2, so we're already a bit stacked on defense. My two middle backs are awesome.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
And Newcastle came back to draw Arsenal after being down 4-0. First time in EPL history that's happened. Crazy day yesterday.

Saw this joke this mornin bout that;

If you see an Arsenal fan walking their dog down the street, get them to call 04 14 24 34 44 to learn how to hold onto a lead.