Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 04:20 AM)
Yeah, because McAlarney missing as season of basketball and getting tossed out of school for a semester wasn't a harsh punishment in the first place.

Please.

If this happened at any other school, let's say a Florida for example, Floyd would probably miss a game against Coastal Carolina. Whereas, I'll be shocked if he gets to see the field this year. Rashon Powers Neal got a DUI a few years back and was gone for the season so there's precedent.

Now I will say Kelly's regime may have a different disciplinary style, but like I said the precedent is there and the powers that be at the school on the adminstration side remain the same.

/selfishly hoping Floyd survives this and gets to play at some point this year

/whoops schedule is frontloaded, oh crap, nd is screwed because there's no way he doesn't miss the start of the season

But that's the point, isn't it? I am told constantly that it isn't (I have rabid, third generation ND in-laws). Thing is, unlike at BYU, its just talk.

The issue isn't whether McAlarney's punishment was sufficiently harsh, its whether he would have been reinstated by ND if he wasn't a hoops player. I honestly don't know that answer.

The issue IS whether Ragone's punishment was sufficiently harsh. In fact, I'm not certain he was punished at all. He was busted in May 2010 and still in school and on Kelly's team that Fall, though he missed a lot of time due to injury. He's currently applying for a 5th year of elgibility.

Appears to be a different disciplinary style to me, but maybe Ragone just had a better lawyer. He should pass his card on to Floyd.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
But that's the point, isn't it? I am told constantly that it isn't (I have rabid, third generation ND in-laws). Thing is, unlike at BYU, its just talk.

The issue isn't whether McAlarney's punishment was sufficiently harsh, its whether he would have been reinstated by ND if he wasn't a hoops player. I honestly don't know that answer.

The issue IS whether Ragone's punishment was sufficiently harsh. In fact, I'm not certain he was punished at all. He was busted in May 2010 and still in school and on Kelly's team that Fall, though he missed a lot of time due to injury. He's currently applying for a 5th year of elgibility.

Appears to be a different disciplinary style to me, but maybe Ragone just had a better lawyer. He should pass his card on to Floyd.

I know first-hand that students who are not athletes have been reinstated for a similar charge. I was an R.A. my senior year at ND. During my junior year, there was a guy in my dorm who got kicked out of school for smoking pot in his room. He was suspended the following semester and had to reapply to return the next year. Reapplied, was accepted, and was back in the fall.

The Ragone situation is seemingly an outlier in my mind, as every other situation has been dealt with swiftly and much more harsh than most other schools. Granted, these are the rules you sign up for when you commit to ND - it's not just talk.

Like I said previously, things could be changing under Kelly's regime in terms of disciplinary issues becoming less black and white. I have no idea.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Its apples and oranges, a DUI and caught smoking arent really comparable.

Im no ND backer, but it seems like Floyd is getting a significant punishment and Im not sure that would have happened at many other schools.

You're right. Driving with dope (Ragone) is arguably worse, as its illegal per se.

And I might be naive, but I think plenty of schools would have felt compelled to take similar action against a player for a second alcohol related offense within 15 mos. I can recall Ohio State perhaps costing itself a share of a Big10 championship when it suspended Bellisari for a DUI before a big game against Illinois. And I think Florida suspended an end for DUI before the SEC championship a few years back (although he did get to play in their Bowl game). Those are two examples that I can think of offhand, neither of them from programs held up as models of intergrity like ND.

I don't think the punishment can be deemed "significant" if all he misses is Spring practice. Time will tell.

You're right. Driving with dope (Ragone) is arguably worse, as its illegal per se.

Um driving drunk is illegal per se, as it is a statutory crime.

Even worse for your argument is that Ragone was arrested under the following circumstances:

Mike Ragone was arrested Saturday and charged with misdemeanor possession after police found two bags of marijuana in a female passenger's purse during a traffic stop.

So you are really saying that driving drunk is a lessor crime than having some one in your car who is carrying marijuana?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Um driving drunk is illegal per se, as it is a statutory crime.

Even worse for your argument is that Ragone was arrested under the following circumstances:

So you are really saying that driving drunk is a lessor crime than having some one in your car who is carrying marijuana?

Um, thanks?

I'm not trying to make an "argument," counsellor, but let's be real: Its not like he'd be the first guy ever stopped with spleef who tried to stash it, and according to news reports, the arresting officer's affidavit states that he admitted to giving it to the girl to do just that. And just what do you suppose was the probable cause for searching his female passenger's purse in the first place? I'm sure you'd agree that mere passengers aren't generally searched as part of a routine traffic stop unless a cop has reason to. Reports said this cop smelled buring marijuana, but I'm sure its only because her purse had just spontaneously combusted.

And DUI is DUI, regardess of whether you're drunk or stoned. However, alcohol is a legal substance and marijuana is not. He was driving a car in which illegal drugs were allegedly being smoked (not just "carried," "smoked"). Even if he wasn't inhaling (yeah, right), he was driving the car and almost certainly getting a contact high. That's likely two crimes, DUI and possession, and, depending on the level of intoxication, therefore "worse" than driving drunk. That's all I was saying. The fact that there's no breathalyzer or other reliable, non-invasive field test for Mary Jane intoxication is very likely the only reason he didn't get the DUI charge too.

the arresting officer's affidavit states that he admitted to giving it to the girl to do just that.

I couldnt find the affidavit, so I dont know whether or not thats true.

I'm sure you'd agree that mere passengers aren't generally searched as part of a routine traffic stop unless a cop has reason to. Reports said this cop smelled buring marijuana, but I'm sure its only because her purse had just spontaneously combusted.

Actually I would not agree. I have been involved in cases where police officers have flat out lied to get "probable cause". Most of the time the police will see 2 young people and just start searching. I had one case where a Police Officer stated that he could see the marijuana inside a closed backpack. Needless to say none of these cases ever result in convictions (Ragone pleaded innocent).

And DUI is DUI, regardess of whether you're drunk or stoned. However, alcohol is a legal substance and marijuana is not. He was driving a car in which illegal drugs were allegedly being smoked (not just "carried," "smoked"). Even if he wasn't inhaling (yeah, right), he was driving the car and almost certainly getting a contact high. That's likely two crimes, DUI and possession, and, depending on the level of intoxication, therefore "worse" than driving drunk. That's all I was saying. The fact that there's no breathalyzer or other reliable, non-invasive field test for Mary Jane intoxication is very likely the only reason he didn't get the DUI charge too.

That is an extreme amount of speculation.

Was Ragone charged with DUI or DWI or OWI?

I believe the answer is no, so that to me suggests that there was not evidence that he was operating a vehicle impaired.

You dont need a field test to charge for DWI or OWI, all you need is suspicion.

Bottom line is that they were charged with entirely different crimes and that generally have pretty different consequences. Misdemeanor possession is not close to DUI (imo), but everyone is entitled to their own.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I couldnt find the affidavit, so I dont know whether or not thats true.

Actually I would not agree. I have been involved in cases where police officers have flat out lied to get "probable cause". Most of the time the police will see 2 young people and just start searching. I had one case where a Police Officer stated that he could see the marijuana inside a closed backpack. Needless to say none of these cases ever result in convictions (Ragone pleaded innocent).

That is an extreme amount of speculation.

Was Ragone charged with DUI or DWI or OWI?

I believe the answer is no, so that to me suggests that there was not evidence that he was operating a vehicle impaired.

You dont need a field test to charge for DWI or OWI, all you need is suspicion.

Bottom line is that they were charged with entirely different crimes and that generally have pretty different consequences. Misdemeanor possession is not close to DUI (imo), but everyone is entitled to their own.

OK; there was dope in the car, but none that was being smoked. It was only being "carried," and only by the girlfriend who had no playing career that might be jeopardized by it.

The cop lied when he said he smelled it (all of them do), and hit the motherload of jackpots when, on a complete whim, he decided to take a flyer and search the non-driver, girlfriend's purse.

I'll admit to speculation, but I think mine is vastly more probable than yours (I've been in my share of cars where dope has been "carried," and its almost always been done, before, after, or concurrently with it being smoked).

The real bottom line is he was charged with possession of illegal drugs, and to the best of my knowledge, was never suspended from the football team, not even pending disposition of the charge. Criminal technicalities and procedural distinctions aside, that's still hard for me to comprehend, and hard to reconcile with what happend to McAlarney, even if its slightly different than Floyd's crime.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
My sources in Columbus say they would be very surprised to see Pryor, Posey and Tressell associated with OSU by the time all of the real information comes out.

Posey and Pryor are morons for returning. They should have just left even after they were forced into that stupid promise.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
Posey and Pryor are morons for returning. They should have just left even after they were forced into that stupid promise.

I agree about the players. I think you would have had a portion of the population that would have been up in arms about leaving after "the promise" but I also think there would have been a big portion of the population that would have been OK with it. A well crafted statement along the lines of "after having time to discuss the situation at length with our families and think it over we think it's in my families best interest to enter the NFL draft." Now I may think that because as shady as the NCAA and most schools are I would have had zero problem with an athlete doing that, so I may be misreading that potential reaction!

I think it would have helped them with public perception that, at least Pryor one of you will have to post what Posey's status was, he wasn't going to be an elite, top of the board draft prospect. He would have had to do a lot of work prior to the draft to up his stock and wouldn't have been taken super high in the draft.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)

It was the only way he would let them play in the Sugal Bowl, I'm guessing it was a snap decision. If the information is true about what may come out, they may be an afterthought anyway and lead OSU back into rebuilding.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Was the stuff you heard a few days back the sex stuff that HBO talked about a just the other night? Or is there other issues hovering around?

No, that "report" was pretty comical, getting laid in college isnt exactly a rarity only given to athletes. I heard info related to the parlor owner, waiting to see how accurate it is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
My sources in Columbus say they would be very surprised to see Pryor, Posey and Tressell associated with OSU by the time all of the real information comes out.

Do you have anymore information. I know you don't want to say something until you verify it 100%, but do you have anything that it relates to? Boos, drugs, etc?

And what's the promise that was made that I see zen talking about?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Death is nothing compared to some text messages or phone calls to recruits.

Can't stop practice from being filmed. Probably the same reason I've been asked to be up in a 46 foot lift during a thunderstorm.