Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Meh. They don't want to play in Madison without a return trip to Fort Worth and UW only offered one game. They are a Big East team now, why would they accept that? Would OSU accept a game in Fort Worth with no game in Columbus?

OSU accepted a home and home with them.

Just dont say Anytime, Anywhere if you dont mean it. Especially if you put up billboards.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wisconsin doesnt claim that they will play anyone/anywhere.

TCU on the other hand has been screaming about how if a big time program would offer a game, theyd play them anytime, anywhere. That is without qualification. Wisconsin happened to have an open game this season, they offered to play TCU. TCU refused.

I agree that TCU is probably smart to not accept the game, but it completely destroys their whole "No one will play us" and "We will play anyone anytime" argument.

I read the story from ESPN, so I missed that "Anywhere" quote. I'll agree that if you do say something like that, you can't turn down Wisconsin's offer. But since then, they have joined the BCS and beat the Badgers in the Rose Bowl, so they are in a different position than they were 2-3 months ago. If Wisconsin had offered that game the day he said that quote, I wonder what he would have said.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Wisconsin doesnt claim that they will play anyone/anywhere.

TCU on the other hand has been screaming about how if a big time program would offer a game, theyd play them anytime, anywhere. That is without qualification. Wisconsin happened to have an open game this season, they offered to play TCU. TCU refused.

I agree that TCU is probably smart to not accept the game, but it completely destroys their whole "No one will play us" and "We will play anyone anytime" argument.

Its a real smart move not to play the game, because it would probably be a loss that would immediately drop them out of national title contender status at game 1.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
I read the story from ESPN, so I missed that "Anywhere" quote. I'll agree that if you do say something like that, you can't turn down Wisconsin's offer. But since then, they have joined the BCS and beat the Badgers in the Rose Bowl, so they are in a different position than they were 2-3 months ago. If Wisconsin had offered that game the day he said that quote, I wonder what he would have said.

Well now they can be in the conversation of BCS teams that protect their record instead of traveling to tough games. They probably know they can win the Big East and make a BCS bowl with regularity now and dont need to prove anything to the computers.

It's just that Anywhere, Anytime quote that kills me as well as the billboards they put up around Columbus. Just back it up. OSU fans already knew it wasnt true when they backed out of the game in Columbus.

And for the record, I'm not trying to say they arent a good program, I wanted no piece of them in a bowl this year, I just hate the hypocrisy in the comments and the billboards.

Edited by RockRaines

Here is the statement by TCU:

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/?p=10429

TCU’s athletic director, Chris Del Conte, had this to say in response:

Anytime. Anyplace. Anywhere,” he said. “Buckeyes against the Horned Frogs. Tee it up. Let’s go.

In his defense he did say Buckeyes, so maybe the offer is only for OSU and not for Wisconsin. I do not believe Wisconsin had an open date at that point (this game was originally against UNLV). But its still hilarious that TCU claims theyd play anyone, but wont even play a team that they just beat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Damn, if this is all true... He gone.

Nah they'll figure out a way around it. Sure Tressel is a cheater, but so are almost all of the coaches of top programs. He wins games and brings the school money, so he'll go nowhere.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
I am just utterly shocked by these turn of events. Not really.

Exactly.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
Nah they'll figure out a way around it. Sure Tressel is a cheater, but so are almost all of the coaches of top programs. He wins games and brings the school money, so he'll go nowhere.

This is undoubtedly true... But, if they can't figure out a way out of it and the NCAA slaps him with the charges mentioned in the Yahoo! article, then they'd have no other option. He'd likely get slapped with a multi-year suspension, and if the OSU wants to keep him through that they could, but I doubt they would.

We're going through this at Tennessee. If Pearl gets suspended for a year, we may keep him around. But if he is out for 2 years, I think we have to get rid of him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)

Exactly.

They already investigated this, and not sure how it is cheating. Though I'm sure a "yahoo sports investigation" was much more effective than a federal one.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
Now this is cheating, and not actually just rehashing a story that already has caused sanctions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...cr-oregon030311

OSU's story was cheating too and it is much worse that Tressel lied about it. Just looked what happened to Bruce Pearl, who did something wrong and than got caught in a big lie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
OSU's story was cheating too and it is much worse that Tressel lied about it. Just looked what happened to Bruce Pearl, who did something wrong and than got caught in a big lie.

I still dont see the parallel in your statement. Bruce Pearl himself committed a violation, told parents to lie about it and then was confronted and lied again. Tressel apparently "was notified" by an unnamed source that his players did something wrong. This probably happens 50 times a day in their email boxes, their voicemail boxes and by letters alleging players did something wrong. OSU self reported this violation to the NCAA when they received evidence that it actually happened and pretty harsh sanctions were handed down for players selling their own property. I'm sure the NCAA looked into the timeline of these infractions and didnt find any evidence that it was known within the program. Still not sure where the cheating angle comes in in comparison to trying to recruit players illegally and paying for them like Oregon did.

I will add that if there is something concrete where he held a meeting and willingly covered something up, then he should step down, but it will take quite a bit to prove a cover up.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
If that is true there is a lot more today's report that it just being a rehash of old information.

Not really old information. What Tressel did was the just short of being the biggest nono out there. Only thing left is to determine the difference between lying and not saying anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
If that is true there is a lot more today's report that it just being a rehash of old information.

Clearly something else was self reported to the NCAA, otherwise they wouldnt be having a presser tonight with the AD and Prez of the University. OSU is one of the best if not the best at self reporting violations in the country, if something happened, the NCAA will be investigating it immediately.