sox fans in surrounding states

Princess Dye

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
I try to help that number out.

Where are you? I'm in Richland just outside Kalamazoo. Just had dinner with my neighbor from a few houses down. He's a south sider and Sox fan too. So there's two just on my street.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Where are you? I'm in Richland just outside Kalamazoo. Just had dinner with my neighbor from a few houses down. He's a south sider and Sox fan too. So there's two just on my street.

Duh, I just looked at your profile.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
I knew 2 other white sox fans in upstate NY. Down in the city you see more people wearing Sox hats but that just might be a product of the "look" of the hat

yeah honestly in NYC you see mostly yankees and mets hats naturally, but i'd say the 3rd most popular is a white sox hat

guarantee the sox hats are because of gang affiliations/rappers/etc tho

There is a rule of thumb when it comes to out of state Chicago sports fans. Now I am jewish so I can say this, and we joke about it all the time. That if you look at any place where you stereotypically see jewish retirement communities, usually warm areas, you will find your sox/cubs/bears fans. In fact a lot of general Chicago transplants find their ways to warmer areas so it holds all around, but LA, SD, Pheonix area, South Fla, Tampa/St, Pete, etc all usually have droves of Chicago faithful. Ever been to Boca Raton, there tons of sox fans there for example.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
I've lived in St. Louis for about 7 years now and I've met about 5 Sox fans here.

I've run into some people in that area that say the Sox are their AL team. And obviously there's the mutual rivalry with the Cubs.....

but for some reason it seems like St Louis (and the Illinois side which I'm more familiar with) have this anti-Chicago thing that takes precedence over everything else. Before the Rams got there though they had tons of Bears fans in that area.

Edited by Princess Dye

People came out of their shells a little bit after 2005. Before, you could be in a room full of White Sox fans and have no idea, and I have definitely seen quite a few more Sox fans since that point in time.

It seemed to me that people from Iowa present roughly a 5:2 Cubs:Sox ratio.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
When I was in Michigan it was practically empty of Sox fans.

My hometown is St. Joe in southwest MI and went to college at Western in Kalamazoo. In southwest MI it's mostly cubs fans with Sox and Tigers fans being the minority. I live in Denver now and see Sox hats on a weekly basis.

I have spent significant time in S.F. Bay area the last few winters. I see many White Sox hats and logos. I think the look attracts people in general including gang members, and rap fans, but most wearing the Sox stuff are not necessarilly White Sox or even MLB fans. Also Raider fans seem to gravitate toward the White Sox. Maybe the Sox should try to cultivate the bad boy image.

When I went to school at UNI in Cedar Falls, Iowa there was always a good number of teams being represented. Most was the Cubs followed by the Twins. Then the Cardinals and White Sox were close to each other for third. It was pretty impressed with the amount of White Sox fans. The Brewers had a good number and even the Royals had some fans. It was fun talking to the Royals fans and I give them props for wearing Royals gear. Of course you have a lot of Yankees and Red Sox fans too.

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
I have spent significant time in S.F. Bay area the last few winters. I see many White Sox hats and logos. I think the look attracts people in general including gang members, and rap fans, but most wearing the Sox stuff are not necessarilly White Sox or even MLB fans. Also Raider fans seem to gravitate toward the White Sox. Maybe the Sox should try to cultivate the bad boy image.

But then the good guys wouldn't wear black!

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
My hometown is St. Joe in southwest MI and went to college at Western in Kalamazoo. In southwest MI it's mostly cubs fans with Sox and Tigers fans being the minority. I live in Denver now and see Sox hats on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately I was in Southeastern MI, in Ann Arbor. I was one of 2 Sox fans that I met (Im sure there were a few studnets at UMich that came from CHicago and were Sox fans) but 99% were Tiger fans or Cubs fans.

Gross.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Unfortunately I was in Southeastern MI, in Ann Arbor. I was one of 2 Sox fans that I met (Im sure there were a few studnets at UMich that came from CHicago and were Sox fans) but 99% were Tiger fans or Cubs fans.

Gross.

Did you live there during the WS? Cuz I only remember meeting 2 sox fans while I lived in Ann Arbor, and I met them both during the 2005 WS in the place that's on top of Good Time Charlie's.

Here in the Seattle, Washington area there are definitely SOME White Sox fans. I see a few here and there and it's usually pretty obvious when somebody is wearing a White Sox hat just because of the fashion and some guy who is wearing it because he's a baseball fan. When I went to a Sox-Mariners game last summer there was a smattering of Sox fans. I'm sure that's true in any road game ballpark, but at a Mariners game at this particular time when the Mariners suck and the crowd is pretty quiet the cheering fans for the road team are pretty evident.