So Now That Pettitte Is Officially Done...

chetkincaid

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Pardon my ignorance but who do they have that we could use?

Brett Gardner?

Ivan Nova?

Joba Chamberlain?

Jesus Montero?

Manuel Banuelos?

Maybe the Sox (I'm trying to quit saying WE, since it's so annoying to some) would be able to get some of those guys. All (except for Joba) could be huge for the future.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Brett Gardner?

Ivan Nova?

Joba Chamberlain?

Jesus Montero?

Manuel Banuelos?

Maybe the Sox (I'm trying to quit saying WE, since it's so annoying to some) would be able to get some of those guys. All (except for Joba) could be huge for the future.

eh, COULD be (wait 'til next year? blah), that is the major problem, if the Sox are going to trade E-Jax, Danks or Floyd they need at least one piece of major league talent back. They've picked their direction, especially with a question at the 5th starter still for the Sox, can't make it a question at 4 and 5 for prospects.

Also, there's obviously guys that prove this wrong, but I tend to take NYY prospects with a grain of salt. They get a ton of hype and I'm always a little leery they're overrated.

Mentioned it in the MLB thread, but I would imagine the Cubs will try extremely hard to dump Zambrano on them now, it's their best shot to shed a good portion of that deal. Also, I imagine the NYY will attempt to get King Felix again. Also, on a more minor front, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwood inks there quickly now

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
I really don't see the use in trying to help a Wild Card rival. With the way things look right now, the Yanks will be in the WC chase along with the Sox,Twins,Tigers, Rays, etc, no reason to help them at all.

good point, I may be overacting a little, but with the rotation that NYY are trotting out at this point, it's not as much of a lock that wild card comes out of AL East this year.

We are beyond our payroll targets because we are "all in" this year. Why would it make sense after extending Konerko and AJ and picking up Dunn to start to deal from our position of strength. You are not getting Brett Gardner for a year of Jackson. I understand people don't like the body language or the ginger-ness of Floyd but he is a solid well priced starter in the AL and not something that we should give up.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
I think it would be hilarious if the Yankees end up running out Colon and Garcia at the 4 and 5 spots. I would watch each and everyone of those games with interest.

I know that it seems less likely now that Pettitte is gone, but what does Freddo do if he doesn't make the team? Does he come crawling back to the Sox?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
I know that it seems less likely now that Pettitte is gone, but what does Freddo do if he doesn't make the team? Does he come crawling back to the Sox?

If he doesn't make that team he might well retire. Or spend another 6 months in rehab.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Roids seem to equal a "no" in that department.

It's funny how he's one of the players that people have kinda "forgot" about the whole roids issue, as opposed to other guys. I'm sure it has a lot to do with his immediate admission, while his buddy Roger made a spectacle out of it all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
It's funny how he's one of the players that people have kinda "forgot" about the whole roids issue, as opposed to other guys. I'm sure it has a lot to do with his immediate admission, while his buddy Roger made a spectacle out of it all.

I think the fact that he wasn't an obvious HOF caliber player, and the fact that there are clearly other roided-up people on a number of WS winning teams, both played into that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

Well Pettitte wasn't a lying indignant piece of s*** about it either. That helps.

We have astrong starting staff with a question mark on whether Peavy will be ready. We don't need to be trading a strength to the yanks. Plus they seem to be scarfing up the free agent pitchers. If Garcia can remain healthy I see he signed what could be a pretty decent contract for him with the yanks.

Texas would have been the team to fleece, unless of course Kenny decided to be a total dick and go straight to Hank Steinbrenner with a ridiculously Sox-favored trade proposal. Hank might be dumb/desperate enough to make a deal too good for the Sox to pass up. But that would never happen since Cashman and Kenny are buds, and Kenny's a pro as it is. We aren't trading a starter for anything close to equal value right now. In order for a starter to be moved Kenny would have to be approached with a deal so ludicrous that he'd fire himself if he didn't accept it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
I'm saying imo. I have no clue what the hell the voters are going to do. Andy Pettitte was never an elite pitcher and belongs no where near the HoF imo.

I agree with you on this, but he's a NYY so he'll get in eventually IMO. My favorite part of covering for Pettitte is when HGH is brought up and defenders just say "oh he admitted it and came clean" well that may be partially true, but to me guys who used it once and admitted it could have used it multiple times and are just picking when to admit to.

Like the A-Rod deal, he admits to it when he was in Tex playing for bad teams but then uses the excuse of pressure and being young... except to me I just think, well didn't you have pressure when you went to the NYY? And being young? maybe agewise, but he was already a seasoned vet of MLB, enough to earn enough service time to be a FA, and accept the most lucrative contract of all time, you can't have those things then just hide behind "I was young" IMO.

Edited by SoxFan562004