*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
I was never allowed to bench press growing up because I was a pitcher. But I love doing it at the gym now. Talk about instantly seeing results. There's nothing like a tight/sore chest a day or two after a lift. Having a big wingspan is such a pain in the ass though.

Right there with ya. I love chest days.

On that note, I did chest/tri's tonight for the 1st time in 3 weeks. I got pretty lazy over the holidays (I went on vacation for 2 weeks and had the flu), but now I'm back at it. Felt great to be in the gym.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
It's more of a do your own pace including speed up if it gets easy. I kind of like that. Definitely pause at times to make sure I'm doing it right.

CVX is a bear the first time...even with just an 8 pound medicine ball...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
Yeah, but if you work at a faster pace, and do 6 workouts a week, I think they should still be pretty effective.

I took off essentially 3 months from working out and just played football once a week and my body has bounced back pretty well after just the first 4 workouts.

I think I'll get some pretty solid results.

You could obviously do doubles if you like.

Due to hopping around jobs a little more than I wanted to this year, I've done the take a few months of a time off thing as well, takes my body about a week to get going again and I'm good to go after that.

• 2 weeks later...

So a colleague of mine at work was doing pull-ups on one of those bars you put in your door frame or whatever, and the thing came loose and he fell on his neck and permanently damaged his spinal cord, causing what appears to be paralysis from the waist down, with some basic movement in his upper body.

Everybody who uses these things make certain it is really in there correctly and provides the appropriate stability necessary. I have never used one because I never felt safe using them, but I know several of you probably do, so please be careful.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
So a colleague of mine at work was doing pull-ups on one of those bars you put in your door frame or whatever, and the thing came loose and he fell on his neck and permanently damaged his spinal cord, causing what appears to be paralysis from the waist down, with some basic movement in his upper body.

Everybody who uses these things make certain it is really in there correctly and provides the appropriate stability necessary. I have never used one because I never felt safe using them, but I know several of you probably do, so please be careful.

That's terrible to hear. I feel the same as you, used one once and immediately thought, "yea...no.", and never used one again.

Wow, I do use one as well, in fact my new one is just tension based. I do usually make sure my feet are underneath me because of exactly what you said.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you use for P90X?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
What did you use for P90X?

I've always used the resistance bands...and I have had those come out of the door and hit me before.

I actually did purchase the pull-up apparatus for the doorframe, but either never had the right size doorframe, never felt comfortable it would hold firmly in place, or didn't want to jack up my doorframe, so I just used it for dips.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
I've always used the resistance bands...and I have had those come out of the door and hit me before.

I actually did purchase the pull-up apparatus for the doorframe, but either never had the right size doorframe, never felt comfortable it would hold firmly in place, or didn't want to jack up my doorframe, so I just used it for dips.

My door frame one worked awesome except for the slight damage to the molding. Never felt like it was ever coming off.

My new one is tension based so I keep a foot extended in case it pops off.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
My door frame one worked awesome except for the slight damage to the molding. Never felt like it was ever coming off.

My new one is tension based so I keep a foot extended in case it pops off.

I'd like to build my own bar somewhere that has nothing to do with the doorframe, but haven't figured out where yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I'd like to build my own bar somewhere that has nothing to do with the doorframe, but haven't figured out where yet.

I was thinking the same on the rafters in the older part of my basement, but I was thinking putting a bolt and bar through 130 year old wood may not be great. That would be perfect though.

Luckily P90X3 doesnt have a TON of pullup type stuff that I need to do so far. Mostly just need space and my free weights.

Wish I had a good solid wall and higher ceilings down there

http://www.fitnessequipmentestore.com/Prod...CFY1cMgodQz8A6g

Ideal IMO.

This is what I was flirting with but no confidence in the wood strength

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151023285067?lpid=82

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)

Jesus. That's terrible, the poor fella. Yeah, I was planning on getting some sort of pull up contraption for the door soon enough - something to give some serious thought to, so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)

I'm presuming it was one of these types of pull-up bar, rather than one of these?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 03:38 AM)
I'm presuming it was one of these types of pull-up bar, rather than one of these?

I'm assuming it was the second type, but I am not sure. A lot of folks that use the second type do so on account of P90X popularizing them. That is the type I own and never particularly wanted to use for anything other than dips.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Yoga day is always strange because I hate it at first but love how it stretches me out after burning thought push and pull before (I switch thursday and wed).

I started doing Yoga out of necessity. I do both DDP Yoga, P90X3 Yoga and lift weights at this time. I really don't do any of the other P90X workouts anymore, unless I'm incredibly bored and want to try something different, but I never stick with them. I've never been particularly flexible, as I've always been more muscular than anything else, but lately, mostly because of playing hockey again, my left calf has bouts of incredible pain. Turns out, unbeknownst to me, I broke a bone in my foot when I was quite young and the bones fused in my ankle as a result, preventing my left calf from being able to engage on the negative...so I've been trying Yoga to regain any sort of flexibility and strength in those odd muscles that I can.

I can actually do crow into handstand now, and almost get all the way back down again, too.