*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
That's awesome dude, congrats.

Rock, what equipment do you need for insanity?

As the resident Beachbody Coach here (ironic i know) I'm gonna tell you that I'm skeptical of Insanity.

Does it work short term? Yes. If you can stick with the insane ass-kicking pace. Is it a sustainable long-term answer? Not at all. If you just keep doing Insanity your body WILL break down in short order. Back problems, joint problems, etc. So the key is to use it for a 60 day period, then do something else and come back to it again some day if you feel the desire. Basically Insanity can be a kickstart for a healthy lifestyle, but if you're looking for a long term solution Insanity isn't it unless you're willing to foot the medical bills :P

But yes, no equipment needed, and a helluva workout program as long as you know you're going to have to do something different after the 60 days are up.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
As the resident Beachbody Coach here I'm gonna tell you that I'm skeptical of Insanity.

Does it work short term? Yes. If you can stick with the insane ass-kicking pace. Is it a sustainable long-term answer? Not at all. If you just keep doing Insanity your body WILL break down in short order. Back problems, joint problems, etc. So the key is to use it for a 60 day period, then do something else and come back to it again some day if you feel the desire. Basically Insanity can be a kickstart for a healthy lifestyle, but if you're looking for a long term solution Insanity isn't it unless you're willing to foot the medical bills :P

But yes, no equipment needed, and a helluva workout program as long as you know you're going to have to do something different after the 60 days are up.

I'd incorporate a work out or two from there into my routine to switch things up. It's what I did with p90x too. Thanks for answering my question.

I have an odd time of my life coming up as 3 of my really good friends who actually still like to go out and party are moving out of town in the next 2 weeks and a lot of my other good friends are either getting married or having kids. Because of this I'm going to dedicate most of my free time to killing myself with my work outs instead of being a drunken fool.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
As the resident Beachbody Coach here (ironic i know) I'm gonna tell you that I'm skeptical of Insanity.

This holds true for most home workouts, which are almost always cardio centric fat burners, as that's their main selling point: Do this workout and you'll lose weight.

I'd recommend P90X over Insanity to anyone, as it's more comprehensive/balanced and targets multiple/various areas of your body, versus Insanity, which is designed to take any movement and turn it into what's essentially a cardio movement.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Anybody do the Xfit or X-IT or whatever it's called at Xsport before? Signed up for a free class for Wednesday, a guy was trying to sell it hard to us and it's not crazy expensive but was wondering if anyone has done it here.

Is that crossfit?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
X-IT apparently

Interval Training

Nope, never done it.

Here is the only workout advice you'll ever need.

Rule #1: Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Rule #2: Try a bunch of different workouts, from weight training to Yoga and find out which you actually like doing, and then do that while keeping rule #1 in mind.

Yes, there will always be more intense/harder/crazier workouts out there, but that doesn't matter. Find something you'll keep doing (because you like doing it) and don't worry about someone else burning 700 calories in the same time it takes you to burn 300. In 6 months when they're gaining 700 calories because they've quit doing their crazy workout, you'll still be going strong.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Nope, never done it.

Here is the only workout advice you'll ever need.

Rule #1: Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Rule #2: Try a bunch of different workouts, from weight training to Yoga and find out which you actually like doing, and then do that while keeping rule #1 in mind.

Yes, there will always be more intense/harder/crazier workouts out there, but that doesn't matter. Find something you'll keep doing (because you like doing it) and don't worry about someone else burning 700 calories in the same time it takes you to burn 300. In 6 months when they're gaining 700 calories because they've quit doing their crazy workout, you'll still be going strong.

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. I've got a ton of different workouts I've tried and it's great to chose the ones that work best for you, that you can live with and sustain, and work into your schedule.

Everyone is unique. The key is to do something two-four times a week along with a reasonable diet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. I've got a ton of different workouts I've tried and it's great to chose the ones that work best for you, that you can live with and sustain, and work into your schedule.

Everyone is unique. The key is to do something two-four times a week along with a reasonable diet.

Yea I was just curious about these classes, I know they personalize it for each person and everything.

I'll do the free class and see, if anything it's a free trainer led workout. I've been doing a cycling class lately once a week to get a different kind of cardio workout in and that's been kicking my ass and a nice change of pace from my other workouts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
Phase 2 already? Nice. Love to hear how its going.

Yeah, it's going alright...given that I am already accustomed to the P90X workouts, and in pretty solid shape prior to starting, I didn't spend a lot of time on phase 1. Did about 4 weeks, felt good about moving forward to phase 2. Kind of jacked up my knee playing football then, and had to take about a week off. Figured I didn't want to mess with another week of Phase 1 or the transition week...so just dove into phase 2.

After doing these cycles for basically the last 4 years, I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

This isn't to say that I couldn't have stuck with phase 1 longer; I certainly could of...but I was a bit bored with the routines outside of the Challenge, so decided to move along.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Yeah, it's going alright...given that I am already accustomed to the P90X workouts, and in pretty solid shape prior to starting, I didn't spend a lot of time on phase 1. Did about 4 weeks, felt good about moving forward to phase 2. Kind of jacked up my knee playing football then, and had to take about a week off. Figured I didn't want to mess with another week of Phase 1 or the transition week...so just dove into phase 2.

After doing these cycles for basically the last 4 years, I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

This isn't to say that I couldn't have stuck with phase 1 longer; I certainly could of...but I was a bit bored with the routines outside of the Challenge, so decided to move along.

My calendar says 4 weeks for BLOCK 1 (they changed the terms), 4 for 2 and 5 for 3. 13 weeks total.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Yeah I think. I printed out a calendar I found online.

This is my 3rd week of 3 (with a break there) and today is the challenge, then CVX, Warrior and Dyna

Hmmm...I think maybe our calendars are different. The one I am doing has me doing Phase 1 for 2-4 weeks, then a "transition week," then on to Phase 2, etc.

Just puked after a 25 min routine that I thought was gonna be cake.

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec battling ropes (waves)

20 sec rest

20 sec jumping jacks

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (waves)

40 sec rest

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (hip toss)

20 sec rest

20 sec JJ

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (hip toss)

40 sec rest

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (inside waves)

20 sec rest

20 sec JJ

20 sec rest

60 sec rest

x3

My god was that hell for what minimal work I did.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Just puked after a 25 min routine that I thought was gonna be cake.

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec battling ropes (waves)

20 sec rest

20 sec jumping jacks

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (waves)

40 sec rest

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (hip toss)

20 sec rest

20 sec JJ

20 sec rest

20 sec ropes (hip toss)

40 sec rest

20 sec squats

20 sec rest

20 sec rest

20 sec JJ

20 sec rest

60 sec rest

x3

My god was that hell for what minimal work I did.

At least you're getting at it! Better than most can say. Nice work. Keep it up and it will be a piece of cake in no time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
At least you're getting at it! Better than most can say. Nice work. Keep it up and it will be a piece of cake in no time.

And when that happens, what would be better(to do first at least)....Keep the same set up but increase the time, or do the squats/ropes/jj/ropes as a straight set then rest?

I'm new to this HIIT stuff.