*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

Meanwhile:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/06/u...t-monsanto.html

A self-appointed cabal of the Organic Elite, spearheaded by Whole Foods Market, Organic Valley, and Stonyfield Farm, has decided it's time to surrender to Monsanto. Top executives from these companies have publicly admitted that they no longer oppose the mass commercialization of GE crops, such as Monsanto's controversial Roundup Ready alfalfa, and are prepared to sit down and cut a deal for "coexistence" with Monsanto and USDA biotech cheerleader Tom Vilsack. Read More: http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/06/u...t-monsanto.html | Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/whydontyoutrythis

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
1) i wont be doing 7 days a week

2) i wont be doing much of the cardio

;)

P90X is almost all cardio, even the "strength" routines are more cardio than they are strength. They always have been, so if you're doing P90X, you're doing cardio.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Anyone else here mess around with grappling ropes??? Did my lil workout again, tweaked it a lil bit...puked again....f***in intense!

I'm in love.

I work out pretty hard, to failure, and have never puked from it...I can't imagine doing this regularly is a very good idea.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 05:54 AM)
P90X is almost all cardio, even the "strength" routines are more cardio than they are strength. They always have been, so if you're doing P90X, you're doing cardio.

The original had some good isolation strength routines. 3 really loses that for more total body moves and less breaks. It's even more cardio.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
The original had some good isolation strength routines. 3 really loses that for more total body moves and less breaks. It's even more cardio.

I do a few of the X3 routines, but as always, when it comes to home workouts, I only do them if they require no equipment...I don't like having weights and attachments around my house. So as long as they're equipment free, I'll cycle them into my routines.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I work out pretty hard, to failure, and have never puked from it...I can't imagine doing this regularly is a very good idea.

Yesterday was just a little "burp up".....These really are like sprints for your arms, only other time I felt as winded was when I was playing rugby doin suicides.

Also should throw out that I'm up to 320, from 255-260 my last year of rugby (2 years ago)....So I really let myself go.

Started my X3 + Rock Climbing hybrid monday and it's pretty simple to make work for mass, you just have to use the pause button to let your heart rate come down between moves.

Skipping things like Agility X and anything cardio related.

The transition week in phase 1 has been interesting so far. Its a big change on how much core and flexibility work that is in P90 with this version vs version 1.0. Lots of mobility and balance. I like it but the worst part about working so much core is it makes you look like you arent losing any weight since your core is all pumped up. I had a long lay off so I wanted to make sure to strip off belly fat as well as tone.

Pretty excited about accelerator tonight, looks like a good burn. I am also changing up the Yoga day with heavy weights at the gym.

Accelerator was awesome. Thats the type of exercise that you need after doing balance and abs which makes you looks like you've gained weight. Halfway through transition week to phase 2 and I want to get the serious stuff going.

So far lost about 7 lbs and about an inch off of my waist.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Accelerator was awesome. Thats the type of exercise that you need after doing balance and abs which makes you looks like you've gained weight. Halfway through transition week to phase 2 and I want to get the serious stuff going.

So far lost about 7 lbs and about an inch off of my waist.

nice job dude!

did X3 yoga yesterday and it's a big of a joke. I mean it was good in the sense that I hadn't done yoga in a while, but I think that was far too many postures to fit into 30 minutes

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
nice job dude!

did X3 yoga yesterday and it's a big of a joke. I mean it was good in the sense that I hadn't done yoga in a while, but I think that was far too many postures to fit into 30 minutes

Isometrix is better IMO. I am dropping Yoga for heavy weight training and stretching those days.

After years of neglecting my core, I'm getting back to it. I noticed a slight twinge in my lower back playing football 2 weeks ago, and it worried me that it could be the beginning of worse lower back pain. In high school, I developed a stress fracture in my lower vertabrae that kept me out of lacrosse for 6 weeks (I literally couldn't run) so I'm not trying to go through that again. I have a flag football league that starts in 2 weeks and I need to be in tip-top shape. So far, so good.

I'm doing planks, side-planks, leg lifts, superman, various other stuff. Does anyone have anything in particular that they really love for core work (besides what I mentioned)?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
After years of neglecting my core, I'm getting back to it. I noticed a slight twinge in my lower back playing football 2 weeks ago, and it worried me that it could be the beginning of worse lower back pain. In high school, I developed a stress fracture in my lower vertabrae that kept me out of lacrosse for 6 weeks (I literally couldn't run) so I'm not trying to go through that again. I have a flag football league that starts in 2 weeks and I need to be in tip-top shape. So far, so good.

I'm doing planks, side-planks, leg lifts, superman, various other stuff. Does anyone have anything in particular that they really love for core work (besides what I mentioned)?

Squats and deadlifts.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Squats and deadlifts.

Check and check. I do squats on leg days. Haven't done deadlifts in about 2 years. Need to get back to doing that.

I asked a bit of a vague question. Obviously, lots of lifts will incorporate the core while you're doing them, as long as you use good technique, etc. But I was thinking more along the lines of yoga-type stuff. More non-traditional exercises that I wouldn't already be doing.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Check and check. I do squats on leg days. Haven't done deadlifts in about 2 years. Need to get back to doing that.

I asked a bit of a vague question. Obviously, lots of lifts will incorporate the core while you're doing them, as long as you use good technique, etc. But I was thinking more along the lines of yoga-type stuff. More non-traditional exercises that I wouldn't already be doing.

I just finished pilates and wow, thats a different type of core workout. The thing I like about X3 so far is the focus on muscle groups that I didnt usually hit before. Lots of hip flexibility and joint strengthening. Something I believe I need for injury prevention.

I would recommend some of those for the muscle groups you may be ignoring. For me, back weakness at times could be general core and ab weakness being compensated by the back.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
I just finished pilates and wow, thats a different type of core workout. The thing I like about X3 so far is the focus on muscle groups that I didnt usually hit before. Lots of hip flexibility and joint strengthening. Something I believe I need for injury prevention.

I would recommend some of those for the muscle groups you may be ignoring. For me, back weakness at times could be general core and ab weakness being compensated by the back.

Thanks. I will definitely have to give that a look.

And I think that's exactly it regarding core/ab weakness. That's what it was attributed to when I first had my back issues.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

Rock, did you ever try X2? From what you are saying about X3, I think you might have really enjoyed X2.

Since I'm a cyclist and get enough cardio and leg work from that, I've been doing this lately.

Challenge

Yoga X3

Challenge

Yoga X3

Eccentric Upper

X Stretch (from p90x 1)

My goal is to just be strong and flexible. I hate the agility work outs. They're tough on my knees and I have Robin Ventura ankle. I really love to do Yoga and the classic push up/pull up workouts. It keeps me motivated. Hopefully the a Yoga is enough core.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Rock, did you ever try X2? From what you are saying about X3, I think you might have really enjoyed X2.

Briefly but I mostly did classes at my gym which was functional fitness/cardio at the time. Now that I moved I am almost purely at home working out.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Since I'm a cyclist and get enough cardio and leg work from that, I've been doing this lately.

Challenge

Yoga X3

Challenge

Yoga X3

Eccentric Upper

X Stretch (from p90x 1)

My goal is to just be strong and flexible. I hate the agility work outs. They're tough on my knees and I have Robin Ventura ankle. I really love to do Yoga and the classic push up/pull up workouts. It keeps me motivated. Hopefully the a Yoga is enough core.

What about the warrior and incinerator?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
I was actually thinking about switching Incinerator for 1 of those days. I do like that workout. The Warrior kind of burns my legs out. I workout in the morning then go ride my bike all day.

My favorite P90 upper body routines are in the orig. Shoulders and arms was a great one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
My favorite P90 upper body routines are in the orig. Shoulders and arms was a great one.

Back + Biceps was my absolute jam.

So funny story. I've been trying to bulk for ages right and it worked... moderately at one point, but nothing significant. I bought a Fitbit Flex yesterday and wore it all day today.

I burn 900 calories and walk 6 miles while at work, meaning that my body burns about 3,000 calories a day BEFORE EXERCISE on days I work.

Welp. That explains that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Back + Biceps was my absolute jam.

So funny story. I've been trying to bulk for ages right and it worked... moderately at one point, but nothing significant. I bought a Fitbit Flex yesterday and wore it all day today.

I burn 900 calories and walk 6 miles while at work, meaning that my body burns about 3,000 calories a day BEFORE EXERCISE on days I work.

Welp. That explains that.

As a person that has no issues adding muscle mass with minimal effort, I can tell you the secret is genetics and nothing more. I use no supplements, not even protein, and my muscle mass/definition just explodes while doing half as much work in the gym as my friends, who do supplement.

You are either an endomorph or you aren't, and if you aren't, you're battling your genetics instead of working with them. That's not to say it cannot be done, but it's very very hard to overcome.

Like someone above mentioned long/lean muscles...despite doing Yoga, that just doesn't happen for me, my body just isn't build that way.