*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Why'd you quit? Injury?

Nope. To be brutally honest I quit because of a number of contributing factors including:

1) Breakup (long time ago now, not a factor anymore but it started the spiral months ago)

2) Not knowing what I wanna do with my life

3) The above getting me addicted to a video game that I've spent every waking non-working moment playing the last couple months

4) All of the above contributing to a general malaise

So sick and tired of the above, but I've got jack s*** for motivation to do anything right now. And it's weird... because for the majority of my life I've always been the polar opposite.

Whatevs.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Nope. To be brutally honest I quit because of a number of contributing factors including:

1) Breakup (long time ago now, not a factor anymore but it started the spiral months ago)

3) The above getting me addicted to a video game that I've spent every waking non-working moment playing the last couple months

So sick and tired of the above, but I've got jack s*** for motivation to do anything right now. And it's weird... because for the majority of my life I've always been the polar opposite.

Whatevs.

Get your ass up and hit it. Its all downhill from week 1. Get a routine and stick with it.

I am all about routine/repetition so I ensure I get my ass in gear. I have a time where i workout, I juice every night so I can consume it the next day etc. Just gotta break out of your rut and start something new.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)

Whatevs.

Just curious...what game? ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)

Whatevs.

This is the attitude you have to get rid of, and I know, because I've been there. We all have. As a matter of fact, unbeknownst to you and others on this board, you guys helped me break out of that state of mind. I found this thread to be an odd motivator to get me to start eating better/working out more often in a more serious fashion. And I can honestly say it was all for the better...I look back and can't believe how out of shape I let myself become (was 175 at peak, I'm back down to 153-155).

Hopefully you can turn this around...the longer you let yourself sink, the longer it's going to take to fight back to the surface. Not to mention, working out will make you feel better in and of itself, and most of those issues you have will disappear along with it.

Gotta say, I've never been in love with the idea of taking a PWS every day but the proof is in the pudding. The results are there. Since I've begun taking it more regularly, I've really seen improvements across the board. My workouts are more intense, I get less fatigued and my endurance is so much better.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
This is the attitude you have to get rid of, and I know, because I've been there. We all have. As a matter of fact, unbeknownst to you and others on this board, you guys helped me break out of that state of mind. I found this thread to be an odd motivator to get me to start eating better/working out more often in a more serious fashion. And I can honestly say it was all for the better...I look back and can't believe how out of shape I let myself become (was 175 at peak, I'm back down to 153-155).

Hopefully you can turn this around...the longer you let yourself sink, the longer it's going to take to fight back to the surface. Not to mention, working out will make you feel better in and of itself, and most of those issues you have will disappear along with it.

I'm fighting out of it now. And it does feel good once you get past the first couple of days/weeks and get back into your groove.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)

I know it man, and you're right. You know I was (am) dealing with those voice issues which thankfully are much much better and much more manageable than they have been in the past - but I think a lot of this "whatevs" feeling comes from having worked so damn hard for so damn long being so meticulous about everything I was doing with my body all for the sole purpose of fixing my voice, that once it was "fixed" I had this equal-and-opposite-reaction where I just stopped doing ANYTHING because I finally could.

But yeah I do need to just figure out a new routine like Rock suggested and somehow find a balance so that it's sustainable. long term. Dont really wanna do this peaks-and-valleys thing forever :P

Edited by Reddy

Ya I'll echo rock's and y2hh's feelings here, you basically just gotta say 'f*** it' and push yourself to hit the weights the first few days. I'm also exactly like Rock, it takes me a week to get back into things if I've taken a break but after that first week I'm completely mind f***ed if I'm not hitting my routine.

I've went through so many slumps when it comes to working out but you just have to remember how much better you feel when you're getting your workouts in.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
I know it man, and you're right. You know I was (am) dealing with those voice issues which thankfully are much much better and much more manageable than they have been in the past - but I think a lot of this "whatevs" feeling comes from having worked so damn hard for so damn long being so meticulous about everything I was doing with my body all for the sole purpose of fixing my voice, that once it was "fixed" I had this equal-and-opposite-reaction where I just stopped doing ANYTHING because I finally could.

But yeah I do need to just figure out a new routine like Rock suggested and somehow find a balance so that it's sustainable. long term. Dont really wanna do this peaks-and-valleys thing forever :P

I know exactly how you feel because I went through something similar...and when I was finally "better", I tossed out everything I used to get to that point (diet related) and just ate and drank whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And it felt great, but in a bad way. But after reading this thread and reevaluating my life, and where I was headed with the sluggishness and weight gain...I decided I not only needed to get back on the right path, but I needed to be more open to new/different things (such as Yoga), especially at my age.

One of the hardest things to accept (and you don't even have to accept this yet, so feel blessed), was age catching up with me. I'm quickly approaching 39, and I decided I'd better do something about it now before I dig a hole so deep I'd give up out of futility. Even now, when playing hockey I find that I have the heart and mind, but my body isn't as durable as it once was (even though I'm in better shape than I've possibly ever been).

...but if I continued to let myself go, it'd be even worse, and I know it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
I know exactly how you feel because I went through something similar...and when I was finally "better", I tossed out everything I used to get to that point (diet related) and just ate and drank whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And it felt great, but in a bad way. But after reading this thread and reevaluating my life, and where I was headed with the sluggishness and weight gain...I decided I not only needed to get back on the right path, but I needed to be more open to new/different things (such as Yoga), especially at my age.

One of the hardest things to accept (and you don't even have to accept this yet, so feel blessed), was age catching up with me. I'm quickly approaching 39, and I decided I'd better do something about it now before I dig a hole so deep I'd give up out of futility. Even now, when playing hockey I find that I have the heart and mind, but my body isn't as durable as it once was (even though I'm in better shape than I've possibly ever been).

...but if I continued to let myself go, it'd be even worse, and I know it.

+1. Invest in yourself as much as you can. Once you let yourself go too far there is no coming back.

Ha Reddy, just go cold turkey on that game. Ive fallen into periods were I get obsessed with that game, and since each round is only 30-60 minutes you keep thinking you can play another one. Going cold turkey and doing other things helps get out of that funk.

So I've been trying to drop some pounds, blew up in college due to injuries and drinking. I've been doing a lot of cardio lately, me and my roommate are doing a cycling class every monday, holy hell is it intense. I do stationary biking quite often and get a good workout but the class is on a whole different level.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
+1. Invest in yourself as much as you can. Once you let yourself go too far there is no coming back.

Im pretty much at the point where if I dont do something now, it will be really difficult for me to get in shape again. I'm still athletic enough to play 4-5 games of basketball in a row, but I cant really run any sort of long distance anymore.

I'm very much a goal based person, so I want to drop some weight and then start training for a 5k, and hopefully start building up to longer races. That way I'm continuously pushing myself.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)

I'm kind of echoing what others have said pretty much you just need to find a workout and diet plan and stick to it. Hard work and dedication and once you start seeing results it becomes addictive. I let myself go all throughout high school and toward the end of freshman year at SIU I weighed 230 lbs at 5'10". I quit eating fried food, most carbs, and stopped drinking anything with sugar in it besides a few beers on the weekends and started doing lots of cardio at the rec. I lost 70 lbs in 6 months and never really looked back. Went from about 33% bf to 15% bf. I started lifting weights after I lost all the weight and currently (5 years later) weigh around 175 lbs with 11-13% bf. I also used my lifestyle change in college to get where I am now and I'm a personal trainer out here in Naperville. Fitness became my passion and I really enjoy working out. I'm always looking for new routines and ideas to keep things fresh and don't let it get boring. Take yourself out of your comfort zone, because once you get comfortable with an exercise you stop challenging your body. It can be done, buddy, just stick to it and kick ass.

On a similar note I've been reading this and finally decided to cave in and start doing "Insanity". Looking for that next challenge. Never done it or anything really similar to it and did the fit test today and that whooped my ass. Should be a fun couple months but want to see if I can take my body below 10% bf before I head to Punta Cana in March. My vacation falls during the one week "rest period" so I guess we will see how it goes. Any support or tips are much appreciated.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
I'm kind of echoing what others have said pretty much you just need to find a workout and diet plan and stick to it. Hard work and dedication and once you start seeing results it becomes addictive. I let myself go all throughout high school and toward the end of freshman year at SIU I weighed 230 lbs at 5'10". I quit eating fried food, most carbs, and stopped drinking anything with sugar in it besides a few beers on the weekends and started doing lots of cardio at the rec. I lost 70 lbs in 6 months and never really looked back. Went from about 33% bf to 15% bf. I started lifting weights after I lost all the weight and currently (5 years later) weigh around 175 lbs with 11-13% bf. I also used my lifestyle change in college to get where I am now and I'm a personal trainer out here in Naperville. Fitness became my passion and I really enjoy working out. I'm always looking for new routines and ideas to keep things fresh and don't let it get boring. Take yourself out of your comfort zone, because once you get comfortable with an exercise you stop challenging your body. It can be done, buddy, just stick to it and kick ass.

On a similar note I've been reading this and finally decided to cave in and start doing "Insanity". Looking for that next challenge. Never done it or anything really similar to it and did the fit test today and that whooped my ass. Should be a fun couple months but want to see if I can take my body below 10% bf before I head to Punta Cana in March. My vacation falls during the one week "rest period" so I guess we will see how it goes. Any support or tips are much appreciated.

Here is the deal with insanity: Its going to kick your ass for a little while. Take small breaks as needed and even use the pause button. Eventually your pace will pick up and the super hot girls he trots in front of you wont be making you look like a p****. If you can stick with it for 30 days, the next 30 are easier.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Here is the deal with insanity: Its going to kick your ass for a little while. Take small breaks as needed and even use the pause button. Eventually your pace will pick up and the super hot girls he trots in front of you wont be making you look like a p****. If you can stick with it for 30 days, the next 30 are easier.

That's my plan. I know I will be able to handle it and I've already accepted its going to suck. Should be a blast