2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

May as well start this mess with some actual news. Other Mods...feel free to debase the title/description in whatever ways you see fit.

The Chicago Cubs and closer Carlos Marmol avoided an arbitration hearing by agreeing to a three-year, $20 million contract on Monday.

Marmol, whose arbitration hearing was scheduled for Tuesday, is scheduled to earn $3.2 million in 2011, $7 million in 2012 and $9.8 million in 2013, according to a major league source. The deal also includes a limited no-trade clause.

Link. It appears this contract buys out 1 year of Free Agency for Marmol.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They turn over their managers pretty quick," Baker said. "They don’t stick with anybody for a period of time, because everybody’s counting -- Year 100, Year 101, Year 102. There’s no such thing as a four- or five-year plan. It’s a one-year plan."

I agree with this. After the past two years, not going young and spending more money could be a huge histake for that organization. You have a good young talent at SS to build around.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
I agree with this. After the past two years, not going young and spending more money could be a huge histake for that organization. You have a good young talent at SS to build around.

They really haven't spent *That* much more money though, at least when you consider that 2 of their bigger contracts end after this season.

A friend of mine at work said he got called today asking if he wanted to buy season tickets. He had been on a waiting list for the package for 11 years, and wasn't even close to being at the front of the list last season. The ticket rep said they're way below expectations at this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
They really haven't spent *That* much more money though, at least when you consider that 2 of their bigger contracts end after this season.

$10 mil for one year to a sub .200 hitter is pretty big. But they have big contracts that they should try and get rid of. If they went young, people would still sell that park out in the summer and they would make huge profit. Rebuilding wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for that club.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)

yeah, but again, team is worth 10% less than when Ricketts bought it, he has a 30m debt service every year and state isn't rushing to give him any sort of money to keep status quo at the shrine, much less improve it. The team as an entity isn't as flush with cash as some media and Albert Pujols' agents lead people to believe

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
$10 mil for one year to a sub .200 hitter is pretty big. But they have big contracts that they should try and get rid of. If they went young, people would still sell that park out in the summer and they would make huge profit. Rebuilding wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for that club.

I'm not so sure about that anymore. 2008 and 2009 raised expectations for them a lot. After the 100 year (it's gonna happen) anniversary came and went with no WS trophy Cubs fans are getting a little restless. Suddenly just going to the game for beer and babes while watching the team continue to not win isn't good enough.

Their attendance has been declining the past couple years and this year isn't looking that great either. I don't even think they sold-out Cubs Convention.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Their attendance has been declining the past couple years and this year isn't looking that great either. I don't even think they sold-out Cubs Convention.

Their attendance started slowly declining because they weren't winning the Central and selling out standing room only tickets. They'll still be one of the top draws in the league. That's both their blessing and their curse; they nearly sell out if they're not winning, so there's a constant revenue stream, but there's no big revenue boost other than playoff tickets if they put a winner out there.