2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting I see what you did there.

Yeah, what I did was use a really bad pun. But even a bad pun will make some smile, and others roll their eyes.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
Six (now seven) posts on page 4, and not a single one is an out of breath fathom telling us why the Cubs will win the World Series this year? Fathom, I have to admit this kind of lets me down. ;-)

Sorry buddy, even though I'm a little concerned about all of the injuries impacting the NL Central.

Hadn't even heard about this. I must actually commend the Cubs here. Silva was a bi-product of the Bradley fiasco and was going to be wasted coin regardless. They don't figure to contend this year. And even if they did, I'm not so sure Cashner couldn't outperform him anyway. Much better off in seeing what they have from one of their few young studs. He's got Daniel Bard type stuff. But he's walking gasoline if he doesn't get that BB/rate down.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
So why did I read somewhere that the Cubs are on the hook for $8M? Why not $11M?

Didn't they get some money in the deal? And also, if another team picks him up won't they pay him league min and the Cubs will save that much? I believe that is the rule.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
Hadn't even heard about this. I must actually commend the Cubs here. Silva was a bi-product of the Bradley fiasco and was going to be wasted coin regardless. They don't figure to contend this year. And even if they did, I'm not so sure Cashner couldn't outperform him anyway. Much better off in seeing what they have from one of their few young studs. He's got Daniel Bard type stuff. But he's walking gasoline if he doesn't get that BB/rate down.

Absolutely agree.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
Garza's spring ERA - 10.38

It doesn't mean anything now, but if he starts off slow, it may mean something. Bad arm?

He's a solid pitcher, I would bet he starts off pretty well, especially if the weather is crappy in Chicago, he's a fly ball pitcher, his numbers may bump up when it gets warmer and The Urinal becomes more hitter friendly. When the wind blows in he is going to flat out dominate

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
He's a solid pitcher, I would bet he starts off pretty well, especially if the weather is crappy in Chicago, he's a fly ball pitcher, his numbers may bump up when it gets warmer and The Urinal becomes more hitter friendly. When the wind blows in he is going to flat out dominate

This isn't just the Cubs hater in me speaking here (well, that's part of it), but I predict Garza is going to greatly disappoint. This won't be one of those AL pitcher automatically gets better in the NL epidemics. That park and defense he had in Tampa really masked his mediocre peripherals.

Every time I look at that Alfonso Soriano contact, I remain in disbelief that Jim Hendry continues to be in charge of the Cubs' roster. Soriano is 35 years old, and his contract pays him $18 million for this season.

That's bad enough for a declining outfielder who cannot hit an off-speed pitch and has nothing left on the basepaths. However, this worthless idiot gets paid that same $18 million annually for 3 seasons past this year.

He will be 39 prior to his final season with the Cubs. That is going to make for an expensive buy-out if he even gets to that point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Every time I look at that Alfonso Soriano contact, I remain in disbelief that Jim Hendry continues to be in charge of the Cubs' roster. Soriano is 35 years old, and his contract pays him $18 million for this season.

That's bad enough for a declining outfielder who cannot hit an off-speed pitch and has nothing left on the basepaths. However, this worthless idiot gets paid that same $18 million annually for 3 seasons past this year.

He will be 39 prior to his final season with the Cubs. That is going to make for an expensive buy-out if he even gets to that point.

IIRC the contract goes UP until he is done with the Cubs, i believe he made 17 mil in 09 and 19 mil last season

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
IIRC the contract goes UP until he is done with the Cubs, i believe he made 17 mil in 09 and 19 mil last season

I checked prior to posting, silly. At least the site I was on said it maxed at $18 million per from '10 - '14.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)

Soriano at age 35 to 37 for 54 million

or

Dunn at age 31 to 34 at 56 million

Yeah, Kenny is good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Soriano at age 35 to 37 for 54 million

or

Dunn at age 31 to 34 at 56 million

Yeah, Kenny is good.

and it's not like there was some crazy bidding war for Soriano going on at the time. A few teams kicked the tires on him, but Cubs had no real competition, especially for that number. Terry Boers, who has decent baseball sources, says nobody was going to come within 40m of that Cubs deal

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
Great. The "Going to see the Cubbies this weekend" season on Facebook has started again, ugh.

I'm too jacked up that we're a little over 14 hours away from the start of the season to care about that garbage. Though I'm sure it will annoy me at some point.