2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
Wait, does this mean that the Bulls reporter has so little to do that they've assigned him to sit at the airport and see what Cubs-related people enter the city?

They have him doing all kinds of stuff. He has been covering the blackhawks too. Gotta make the man earn his money

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
Although I think Ryno will eventually become the manager, I think the Cubs brass will kinda "milk the time" sorta speak.

Bringing him in lessens the need to spend in free agency to attract fans. It adds to the Theo/Hoyer signings and "legitimizes" them cheaply in relative terms.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
They have him doing all kinds of stuff. He has been covering the blackhawks too. Gotta make the man earn his money

I feel bad for KC. He's exceptional at his job. They should just have him covering this awesome Derrick Rose World Tour. Following D-Rose on Facebook has been incredibly fun.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I feel bad for KC. He's exceptional at his job. They should just have him covering this awesome Derrick Rose World Tour. Following D-Rose on Facebook has been incredibly fun.

Except 2k5 posted this morning that Rose pulled out?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
Except 2k5 posted this morning that Rose pulled out?

I'm talking about the "Hoops for Troops" he's been participating in, and prior to that his dealings overseas for Adidas. It's been a blast to follow.

I'm not talking about this moronic set of exhibition games that are going to be played.

Although I think Ryno will eventually become the manager, I think the Cubs brass will kinda "milk the time" sorta speak.

I'm not sure the feeling is mutual though. He could be the manager in waiting for the Phils or actually go to a team that has a chance of winning. The Cubs kind of thumbed their noses at him last offseason.

Actually, I think KC just happened to see Ryno at a starbucks, unless i misunderstood what I heard on the score. But my god is the score painful to listen to. The things they are gushing over, like a pamphlet given t o players and smoothing over jargon, sounds like it's causing them to climax on air.

I think Theo is a great hire. But recently his drafts haven't been that great and he's handed out some of the worst contracts in the league. But that's not asked. It's all gushing over Carmine. His 05 draft was one of the best drafts of the decade, for sure, and he can run an organization, but I think he's not top 5 anymore, especially after doing so much with roiders.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
His 05 draft was one of the best drafts of the decade, for sure, and he can run an organization, but I think he's not top 5 anymore, especially after doing so much with roiders.

I think Jason McLeod had more to do with that. His draft picks the last 6-7 years have been ridiculous.

I think the Cubs brass will kinda "milk the time" sorta speak.

I absolutely adore when you type out something how you think it goes from how you've heard it, and are entirely off. It's hilarious. You did something like that a couple weeks ago, too.

For future reference, it's "so to speak".

The Cubs and Red Sox have until Tuesday to agree on Theo Epstein compensation, but Commissioner Bud Selig doubts the sides can close the deal.

Selig said Friday night that he may have to decide which minor league players go from the Cubs to the Red Sox.

"They have until Nov. 1 … before this comes to me,'' Selig said. "If I had to guess it'll be another thing that I have to deal with on Nov. 1.''

It is expected the Cubs will sent the Red Sox one or two minor league prospects, possibly one who is considered close to the major leagues and another from the lower minors.

Trib

Link

Cubs starter Ryan Dempster has exercised his contract option for next season and will pitch for $14 million while also seeking an extension.

It came as no surprise that Dempster, who was 10-14 with a 4.80 earned-run average, would exercise the last year of his current contract signed three winters ago. That contract was valued at $52 million over four years and left the last season up to him on whether he wanted to return.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
I absolutely adore when you type out something how you think it goes from how you've heard it, and are entirely off. It's hilarious. You did something like that a couple weeks ago, too.

For future reference, it's "so to speak".

I love it when anyone does that. It makes my day.