2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
I think people forget that the cubs are paying about $35M in debt servicing.

The attendance took a big hit last year.

They are going to try and sell he fans on the wonder twins (Theo and Jed) and Starlin....the rest of the cast, who knows.

Also if Sandberg is told the Phillie job his his when Manuel leaves you do not think he will take it?

The hired Theo in part to develop from within to save money. I just dont see it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Is Epstein really going to hire Sandberg? Doesn't seem to be his type of manager, I would easily see him hiring Martinez.

Did "Terry Francona" come off to anyone as an Epstein-type-manager when he was hired?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Imagine the slap to Sandberg's face that would be. For that reason alone, I don't see Theo doing it.

Why? What does Theo owe him? Sandberg's got a good thing going in Phillie, Theo can use that as an excuse and go get a guy he actually wants.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
Why? What does Theo owe him? Sandberg's got a good thing going in Phillie, Theo can use that as an excuse and go get a guy he actually wants.

He doesn't owe him anything, but the media and fan backlash from hiring Martinez over Sandberg would probably be rather large. It might just be easier to go in another direction entirely.

You realize that Sandberg's wife is one of the players' wives that Martinez f***ed and that it's general knowledge, right?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
LOL, says the guy repeatedly posting in a Cubs thread on a Sox board.

It's baseball news. I post about Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad on a Sox board. I posted about the f***ing Florida Panthers earlier today. Theo Epstein is big news, and I'm able to look at this situation as a baseball fan, and not a Cubs hater... unlike you.

The thing is... this isn't overblown. This is a huge hiring by the Cubs and obviously grabs national attention because Theo, deservedly or not, gets credit for the Red Sox breaking their own version of a stupid curse.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
The response to that of course is straightforward.

Win the damn AL Central.

Yeah, it's not like the White Sox did anything to build off the momentum of their World Series Championship. Many bad moves produced a very poor post-2005 record, which in effect killed anything they earned with that Championship.

People care and fans are created through success.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
The only thing that I know Theo has is a cell phone. And that is because it is on his ear in EVERY PICTURE AND VIDEO I SEE OF HIM

Some studies should that could be brain cancer waiting to happen, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
And more reputable studies say he's fine. Or at bigger risk due to going through airport security.

Theo Epstein doesn't travel by airplane. It's not that he is afraid of flying, he simply rides a flaming chariot pulled by winged, white horses.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Some studies should that could be brain cancer waiting to happen, unfortunately.

Others studies show that 1 in 6 cell phones are infected with poop remnants, but that cannot possibly apply to Theo's. Assuming he even makes it, his poop is doubtless fragrant and antiseptic. He's going to be on Tribune Live this evening, so I'm expecting a tweet from Kaplan to confirm.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Others studies show that 1 in 6 cell phones are infected with poop remnants, but that cannot possibly apply to Theo's. Assuming he even makes it, his poop is doubtless fragrant and antiseptic. He's going to be on Tribune Live this evening, so I'm expecting a tweet from Kaplan to confirm.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
He's going to be on Tribune Live this evening, so I'm expecting a tweet from Kaplan to confirm.

thekapman David Kaplan

Expecting Theo Epstein's arrival at our CSN studios shortly for his appearance on Chicago Tribune Live at 5:30. Any ?'s you want asked?

Following Green and MacPhail, Theo is the Third Great Cubs Hope in my lifetime. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me ... three strikes and you're out, or something like that. But I don't think Theo is going to fail. Why? Because of five words:

"I don't believe in curses," he said. You had me at hello, Theo.

I don't think David Brown knows how to count.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
PWSullivan Paul Sullivan

Theo tells The Score if Ryno is in town, as @KCJHoop reported, it has nothing to do with the Cubs.

Wait, does this mean that the Bulls reporter has so little to do that they've assigned him to sit at the airport and see what Cubs-related people enter the city?