2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Caring about the stupidity of Cubs fans should have left your complex with your teenage years. There are idiot Cubs fans, there are idiot Sox fans, there are idiot ballet fans. Choosing to listen and/or care about their opinion is where your complex lies.

There are smart Cubs fans who know this isn't an overnight thing. However, going from Hendry to Theo can't be anything but good, only because it proves the Cubs and Ricketts will absolutely spend to try to win in the future.

Blah blah blah. I sleep next to a Cubs fan every night dude, I dont care.

Second, I think bringing in Theo proves they are trying to build it from within cheaply WITHOUT spending money like they have historically done. This will take years and years to develop and I honestly think he wears out his welcome before it bears any fruit. You apparently have forgotten that they did this same thing previously with a GM who has history of winning from the ground up and then replaced him with a GM who spent money like it was an ATM machine.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
I would bet heavily that they find funds to put into it or detract from other areas to do so. It's Theo's model to build through the draft, and I bet he made that clear to Ricketts before coming over there.

Oh of course. No doubt that is his plan. I guess what I am getting at is, a lot of Cubs fans seem to think that suddenly everything gets better. It doesn't. The major league club is a horrible mess, worse off than most teams, plus a weak farm system. It will take a bunch of years to get them where he wants them to be. I think he knows that, and I think Cubs management knows that... but a lot of the fans don't seem to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Unfortunately, after the compensation is done for Theo and Hoyer, Theo will have very, very little available to develop in the Cubs system. It is already just about as bad as the Sox have.

You don't build a farm up in a few months. And like you said, the current Cubs system is nothing to get loud about anyway. Going forward is the key here. You trust Theo more because he's proven it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Oh of course. No doubt that is his plan. I guess what I am getting at is, a lot of Cubs fans seem to think that suddenly everything gets better. It doesn't. The major league club is a horrible mess, worse off than most teams, plus a weak farm system. It will take a bunch of years to get them where he wants them to be. I think he knows that, and I think Cubs management knows that... but a lot of the fans don't seem to.

This is what I don't get. Who gives a f*** about what Cubs fans think. They needed a GM (I know he's technically the team president. But he'll have a major influence regardless) and they got arguably the best the sport had to offer of the last 10 years. As of right now, there's just no downside here.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Blah blah blah. I sleep next to a Cubs fan every night dude, I dont care.

But you clearly do care, as you posted about caring in the post I quoted. It's all good, but you clearly cannot look at the Cubs without that inner Cubs rage flowing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
This is what I don't get. Who gives a f*** about what Cubs fans think. They needed a GM (I know he's technically the team president. But he'll have a major influence regardless) and they got arguably the best the sport had to offer of the last 10 years. As of right now, there's just no downside here.

I'll argue that he's not the best GM the sport has had to offer. He is the only one who has won 2 World Series since 04, that is true. But he did inherit a lot of the first championship team, the two best hitters were proven to be roided up, he's had the 2nd highest payroll in baseball, and his last two teams have crashed & burned even with that high payroll.

I think it is a smart hire by the Cubs, but the hype surrounding it is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
It's true though, you would have thought that Theo meant the Cubs were bringing in Pujols, Fielder, CC, Buehrle, etc today. The hype is absolutely ridiculous for Theo right now.

No, the hype for Lou Piniella and Dusty Baker was ridiculous. The hype for a guy that has personnel decision making is completely justified. Now, people that think this automatically brings the Cubs a WS victory are being completely irrational, just as people who think this isn't a great move for the Cubs are being delusional.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
No, the hype for Lou Piniella and Dusty Baker was ridiculous. The hype for a guy that has personnel decision making is completely justified. Now, people that think this automatically brings the Cubs a WS victory are being completely irrational, just as people who think this isn't a great move for the Cubs are being delusional.

The same song and dance also happened for Hendry and McPhail.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
But you clearly do care, as you posted about caring in the post I quoted. It's all good, but you clearly cannot look at the Cubs without that inner Cubs rage flowing.

LOL, says the guy repeatedly posting in a Cubs thread on a Sox board.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
The same song and dance also happened for Hendry and McPhail.

Yes. Theo will have less impact on the team's results in the next 3 years than Fielder, Pujols etc. Thats why I think the hype is funny, its just like the Lebron saga but without the decision....wait, I think they almost did that too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Or...

They may need to do MORE work than was needed on Fenway, but they are absolutely not moving from that location. They may even be willing to spend part or all of a season playing elsewhere while it is rebuilt in place, or maybe they go 2 or 3 seasons having parts of the park closed at a time... but they will not move.

It's also significantly risky to be seen as "Meddling" with that stadium in the eyes of its fanbase...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
It's also significantly risky to be seen as "Meddling" with that stadium in the eyes of its fanbase...

Putting even a jumbotron in Wrigley would have a negative reaction. Fans were pissed (literally) when they talked about removing the troughs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Putting even a jumbotron in Wrigley would have a negative reaction. Fans were pissed (literally) when they talked about removing the troughs.

Yeah...and they were angry for years about the idea of behind-home-plate advertising.

A jumbotron or anything replacing the current scoreboard would produce riots.

They would clearly like to add more advertising but that's difficult. The other thing they'd like, other than for the upper deck to stop collapsing, is to add luxury boxes...that one might be do-able with some variety of construction, but it's going to be really hard to do that without "Changing the sight lines" in some fashion.

Theo is loved now by the Cubs fans, and they'll love him more when he names Sandberg the manager in a week. If he goes on to sign Pujols or Prince when free agency starts...say goodbye to any casual Chicago fan being interested in the Sox. It's pathetic, yet true.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
Theo is loved now by the Cubs fans, and they'll love him more when he names Sandberg the manager in a week. If he goes on to sign Pujols or Prince when free agency starts...say goodbye to any casual Chicago fan being interested in the Sox. It's pathetic, yet true.

The response to that of course is straightforward.

Win the damn AL Central.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

There is no way Ricketts can support a 100+ million dollar contract for a free agent like that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
There is no way Ricketts can support a 100+ million dollar contract for a free agent like that.

I think people forget that the cubs are paying about $35M in debt servicing.

The attendance took a big hit last year.

They are going to try and sell he fans on the wonder twins (Theo and Jed) and Starlin....the rest of the cast, who knows.

Also if Sandberg is told the Phillie job his his when Manuel leaves you do not think he will take it?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Also if Sandberg is told the Phillie job his his when Manuel leaves you do not think he will take it?

If he has both offers...I'd imagine he'd take the Cubs job. He might get the Cubs job now instead of having to wait, the Cubs might well throw a good chunk of money at him to get him away from Philly, he's got the full career connection there...and if he's interested in money, he's not going to outdo chicago on endorsement money anywhere.