Miggy Cabrera DUI

LittleHurt05

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a few credits shy of my Journalism degree, but this sentence struck me as odd and funny. Not sure how one thing relates to the other...

Miguel Cabrera, who bats and throws right handed, refused to take a breath test.
Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
He didn't have the MLBPA behind him though. Selig doesn't have nearly the power Goodell does over things like this

Technically he has more power than any of them. Selig has an anti-trust exemption and the ability to "Act in the best interests of baseball". He just is scared to use them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Technically he has more power than any of them. Selig has an anti-trust exemption and the ability to "Act in the best interests of baseball". He just is scared to use them.

He's not scared to use them...he knows he has a monster of a union to face. The Union beat him when he tried to use that power to suspend Rocker.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 07:16 AM)

Yeah, because Selig has been such a wimp on a lot of things, people forget that he does have the authority to do pretty much anything. He just chooses not to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)
He's not scared to use them...he knows he has a monster of a union to face. The Union beat him when he tried to use that power to suspend Rocker.

The union didn't "beat" him, that was negotiated. If Selig wants to suspend someone, he can. He just won't in this case.

There have been a few ballplayers over the years with drug an alcohol problems. Well, more than a few. Might be a good idea for MLB to have a policy for multiple offenders in that realm to have a short suspension and required therapy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
The union didn't "beat" him, that was negotiated. If Selig wants to suspend someone, he can. He just won't in this case.

An arbitrator cut Rocker's suspension in half (basically making it time already served) and slashed the fine from $20k to $500.

I'd call that beating the commish. Quite badly in fact. The arbitrator might have reduced it even further had the ruling not happened after 14 days of suspension.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
An arbitrator cut Rocker's suspension in half (basically making it time already served) and slashed the fine from $20k to $500.

I'd call that beating the commish. Quite badly in fact. The arbitrator might have reduced it even further had the ruling not happened after 14 days of suspension.

The current player contract allows for arbitration of disciplinary measures, and so its "law" in that sense. That does not, however, stop Selig from actually suspending anyone. It means he can suspend them, the player can choose to have it arbitrated, and the result of the arbitration stands. There is a difference there.

I still think an off-field policy would be useful here, in the next contract. But I doubt that happens.

Dombrowski:

"I don't have a lot to add at this time," Dombrowski said Thursday outside the Tigers' clubhouse at Marchant Stadium. "I'm in a position where there are pending legal matters involved.

"I have spoken to Miguel, his representatives and the commissioner's office, who in turn will speak with the players' association. They will be involved in gathering information and evaluating the process.

"I will know more tomorrow."

Dombrowski did admit, however, that with Cabrera, the Tigers "have an issue here that needs to be addressed and helped — and we're going to help him. We fully support him in trying to get help. But it also can be tough help sometimes."

It's not a matter, however, that the Tigers believe will cost Cabrera any playing time.

"I fully expect Miguel Cabrera to be with us," Dombrowski said. "It's too early to make that a 100 percent-type statement, but I've been involved with this type of treatment situation in the past, and I would anticipate that."

Leyland:

"And I know for a fact -- without getting into this situation -- I know for a fact that Miguel Cabrera is in the best shape of his life. He's stronger than he's ever been and he's quicker than he's ever been. It has no effect. It might make some dramatic reading material, and everybody's projecting all this and that. It's not to going to go squat along those lines, believe me -- nothing."

Friday was reporting day for Tigers position players ahead of Saturday morning's first full-squad workout. Among the Tigers players to arrive were Ordonez, who worked out with Cabrera this winter, and Brandon Inge. There was no sign of Cabrera, and no indication when or if he'll show up for camp. Dombrowski said Thursday that Cabrera was at home in South Florida.

The tone from the players who were here was universal support.

"It's not a distraction for us," Inge said. "We're more concerned for him as a family member."

Leyland did not want to publicly get into the personal aspect of the matter. He limited his comments to the professional aspect.

"The speculating about all this disruption and everything it's going to have, it's not going to do squat," Leyland said. "It is not going to be a disruption for our team, trust me. It's not going to be. ...

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
if someone did kill somebody in a DUI, I wouldn't be shocked if Bud used "best interest" to suspend him, the real question is whether it would hold up.

I'm sure the MLBPA would think of something, but how could they argue that in good taste?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm sure the MLBPA would think of something, but how could they argue that in good taste?

they really don't have to, their job is to advocate for their players, like any defense situation, it's not really a matter of "good taste" it comes down to ensure the person you are defending is getting due process.

Miguel Cabrera, arrested earlier this week on suspicion of drunken driving, was not at Tigers camp Saturday morning, the first day the full squad took the field.

General manager Dave Dombrowski said Saturday that doctors assigned by Major League Baseball were evaluating Cabrera, and the team expected to know more by the middle of next week.

Dombrowski said that when Cabrera's car was found by police on the side of a road Wednesday, the first baseman was on the way to spring training in Lakeland, Fla., "and his car broke down."

Link

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Stay Classy, Leyland...

Jim Leyland's heyday was much, much different than present tense. When he was Cabrera's age a DUI came with a slap on the wrist. Penalties weren't increased to anything of concern until the 70s, and really, DUI's weren't a big deal until the late 90s when MADD became really visible.

I get that some folks might think Leyland just doesn't give a s***, but in fact, the man is 67 years old and from another era where driving intoxicated and drunken driving just did not matter.

In that respect, give the man a break.