2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Dont even joke, this is an extremely shrewd move. AA is building a contending team with a focus on defense, and D Wise is the lynchpin. AA knows all

Great post. He knows one of his pitchers will have a no-hitter in the next season, and there's no player you would rather have for defense in that position, other than Mr. DeWayne Wise. Brilliant.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
Brandon McCarthy was f***ing dealing tonight. Maybe he'll pan out after all.

McCarthy's been a star in my Sabermetric fantasy league this year. I think he's in the top 20 in terms of points per start.

His peripherals are excellent, he just gets no run support from the A's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
This is wonderful news. The next 5 CY awards are his if he can remain healthy.

He's going to have his struggles next year. A guy comming back from TJ almost all the time needs two years to really be the same guy again. He'll still be damn good, but not quite the freak pitcher like he was when he first came up just yet.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
McCarthy's been a star in my Sabermetric fantasy league this year. I think he's in the top 20 in terms of points per start.

His peripherals are excellent, he just gets no run support from the A's.

He has flown under the radar alot this year, especially on this board being a former prospect and all.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
He's going to have his struggles next year. A guy comming back from TJ almost all the time needs two years to really be the same guy again. He'll still be damn good, but not quite the freak pitcher like he was when he first came up just yet.
Supposedly, from the looks in the minors...his stuff is still there already.

He has flown under the radar alot this year, especially on this board being a former prospect and all.

Some of that is because, as usual, he's been hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Supposedly, from the looks in the minors...his stuff is still there already.

And even stuff isn't always the end all case with "comming back." Also totally different game in the minors than the majors.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Nobody loves Kershaw more than I do. But Strasbrug's a generational talent. Dude throws a 100 MPH FB and it's arguably his second best pitch.

But saying Strasburg is penciled in for the next 5 CY when the league features Halladay, Lee, Kershaw, Lincecum, then young Braves hurlers, Josh Johnson etc... is a bit much

Stras also needs to stay healthy, which I assume with that "dreaded delivery" might not be easy.

I hope he does though. I also hope the Nats can sign him longterm. I would vomit for a week and a half if he signed with the f***ing Red Sox or Yankees in a few years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
He will never be healthy enough to even contend for the Cy Young for five years in a row. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't even hit the innings qualifications at least once, if not more, during every five years span of his career.

I said if healthy. That's the only roadblock.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I said if healthy. That's the only roadblock.

Normally, I'd disagree and have a comeback about how even with great stuff guys still need to learn how to pitch, look how Verlander took time to adapt, etc.

Except in this case, I think my comeback is wrong. If he were to somehow be the guy he was last year non-stop, I don't think he'd ever be regularly hittable. He'd have cy young challenges from guys who had great years, and that's it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Normally, I'd disagree and have a comeback about how even with great stuff guys still need to learn how to pitch, look how Verlander took time to adapt, etc.

Except in this case, I think my comeback is wrong. If he were to somehow be the guy he was last year non-stop, I don't think he'd ever be regularly hittable. He'd have cy young challenges from guys who had great years, and that's it.

And in this new saber-era, you won't have abominations like Bartolo winning the award over Johan in '05.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Its that slider though. Throw Kerry Wood into that same group.

I assume you have zero confidence in Chris Sale as a starter? If you're this skeptical over Strasburg's long-term outlook then you have to be considering Chris literally disappears when he turns sideways compounded with his violent delivery.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
I assume you have zero confidence in Chris Sale as a starter? If you're this skeptical over Strasburg's long-term outlook then you have to be considering Chris literally disappears when he turns sideways compounded with his violent delivery.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went down because of his slider. Straus, Wood, and Liriano are a whole other level though.