2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (since56 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
2. Does this team need a new manager to wake up?

They woke up last year without a new manager.

Let's just be honest...we all know it's the division or bust here. Talk to me about a new manager late in the season. Maybe we'll get lucky and we can "Trade" Ozzie to some other team at the end of the year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
Been gone for a week with no access to internet/tv/anything.

Serious question - who is the closer? What happened to this team?

First answer: well, we haven't needed one in a few days.

Second answer...Weaver, Haren, and Price was going to be a rough buzzsaw for a team playing good ball to hit, and the Sox haven't been pitching well enough to stand with that kind of buzzsaw. They haven't been blown out, but their starters have needed to throw 0-1 run games to give their guys a chance, and their starters haven't done that. Bats aren't hitting well, Adam Dunn still doesn't look like he's all there, and the team just generally is in lethargic-looking mode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
First answer: well, we haven't needed one in a few days.

Second answer...Weaver, Haren, and Price was going to be a rough buzzsaw for a team playing good ball to hit, and the Sox haven't been pitching well enough to stand with that kind of buzzsaw. They haven't been blown out, but their starters have needed to throw 0-1 run games to give their guys a chance, and their starters haven't done that. Bats aren't hitting well, Adam Dunn still doesn't look like he's all there, and the team just generally is in lethargic-looking mode.

Thanks for a quick response, honestly Sox came out batting hot, so a slump was due, hopefully adjustments are made they get back to where they were offensively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)

They beat up on the NL in order to look relevant again. I'm not going to give Ozzie a ton of credit for the brief run in what ultimately was an underachieving season last year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
They beat up on the NL in order to look relevant again. I'm not going to give Ozzie a ton of credit for the brief run in what ultimately was an underachieving season last year.

Yet, no one is hesititating to give him the blame in a short slump this year...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
Yet, no one is hesititating to give him the blame in a short slump this year...

He is Mike Ditka. He had one fantastic season followed by several years of disappointing teams. He needs to go. 2005 is long gone.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
He is Mike Ditka. He had one fantastic season followed by several years of disappointing teams. He needs to go. 2005 is long gone.

I gotta agree with you here. It seems to me that Ozzie has been given a long leash because of 2005. Might be time to cut the leash and let him go.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sox fans deserve better then dealing with Ozzie year in and year out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)

Let's just be honest...we all know it's the division or bust here. Talk to me about a new manager late in the season. Maybe we'll get lucky and we can "Trade" Ozzie to some other team at the end of the year.

The only thing that keeps me relatively happy about this team being the same old garbage we see every year is that fact that I know it means Ozzie is gone in the end.

That's a perfect analogy. A relatively crappy coach/manager who has reached god-like status to moronic fans based on a single championship that was earned off of the fruits of another coach's labor. The Bears had the defense of Buddy Ryan and the Sox had the pitching staff of Don Cooper. The Bears defense and the Sox pitching were 90% of the reason that those teams won.

You could probably have switched Ditka and Guillen, neither guy having anything but a rudimentary knowledge of the others' sport, and the results would likely have been the same due to the play of the 1985 defense and the 2005 pitching.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Thanks for a quick response, honestly Sox came out batting hot, so a slump was due, hopefully adjustments are made they get back to where they were offensively.

I don't know why everybody thinks a slump was "due."

Teams can play winning baseball for a long time, winning series after series if they are not dysfunctionally hot and cold like the Sox.

I wouldn't mind if they can Ozzie, but truthfully it won't matter much.

Cora is no better and Buddy Bell is a joke.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
I don't know why everybody thinks a slump was "due."

Teams can play winning baseball for a long time, winning series after series if they are not dysfunctionally hot and cold like the Sox.

I wouldn't mind if they can Ozzie, but truthfully it won't matter much.

Cora is no better and Buddy Bell is a joke.

Can you name for me a team in the last few years that has not gone through a dysfunctional cold stretch?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Is there any team in baseball that hasn't had a 5 game losing streak during a particular season?

The SF Giants in the mid to late 90s.

EDIT: It was the 1993 team and they did wind up getting a losing streak over 5 games at the end of the season.

Edited by BigSqwert