2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
At the time, I was very happy to see the Cardinals take it. I regret it everyday.

That freakin team lost me 20 bucks to my roommate at the time. The bet? He got the Cardinals, I got the rest of the field in the f***in playoffs that year. Really?

Speaking of the Tigers, I wonder if Maggs is about to be in the washed up category?? I saw him in one game this year -- didn't seem to be moving well. Gotta be in his late 30's by now. Pretty good career. 2000+ hits, etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
They beat up on the NL in order to look relevant again. I'm not going to give Ozzie a ton of credit for the brief run in what ultimately was an underachieving season last year.

NL teams or not, the White Sox went 15-3 in interleague play last year. A team could go 12-6 and it would still be considered "beating up on the NL." On top of that, they swept Atlanta - who was in the postseason - as well as the Angels in a 4-game set and the Royals in 3 heading into the ASB.

Then they ran into 3 days without baseball and 4 days of Kryptonite.

I understand that '10 and '09 were decent-to-good years for Juan Pierre......

....but nonetheless, give me some help with this: Why is it that, year-in year-out, Juan Pierre's WAR is often of good quality?

I dont know a lot about how these are calculated. Any help is greatly appreciated, even shot-in-the-dark conjecturing.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)

....but nonetheless, give me some help with this: Why is it that, year-in year-out, Juan Pierre's WAR is often of good quality?

I dont know a lot about how these are calculated. Any help is greatly appreciated, even shot-in-the-dark conjecturing.

Defense. His (extremely limited) value as a hitter relies solely upon the fact that he gets on base at a respectable rate - his stolen bases don't add much value from a sabermetric point of view. But he's got great range defensively, so he saves quite a few runs that an average fielder does not.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)

Defense. His (extremely limited) value as a hitter relies solely upon the fact that he gets on base at a respectable rate - his stolen bases don't add much value from a sabermetric point of view. But he's got great range defensively, so he saves quite a few runs that an average fielder does not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
I had a dream last night that the Sox took a one-run lead in an extra inning game. Santos came in for his first save opportunity and gave up back to back homers. They can't even win in my dreams!

:lolhitting

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
I had a dream last night that the Sox took a one-run lead in an extra inning game. Santos came in for his first save opportunity and gave up back to back homers. They can't even win in my dreams!

Ouch :(

Getz is better defensively and faster. At least he steals more bases. Their average is about the same but Beckham is a better.............what? At the time the Sox could have gotten a lot for Beckham and also they would not now have Teahen, and his salary.

Here's a quote from the Sun Times from Ozzie:

Me? No, I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work,’’ Guillen said before the Sox erupted with 10 hits, and two RBI apiece from Omar Vizquel, Carlos Quentin, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski. “If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball. I might go to Fox. They want me.’’

Wasn't he crying about his extension last fall, giving some Latrell Sprewell-like comments?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
Here's a quote from the Sun Times from Ozzie:

Me? No, I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work,’’ Guillen said before the Sox erupted with 10 hits, and two RBI apiece from Omar Vizquel, Carlos Quentin, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski. “If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball. I might go to Fox. They want me.’’

Wasn't he crying about his extension last fall, giving some Latrell Sprewell-like comments?

"I don't say I have [to have] a long-term contract, I just want to know what they have on their mind as soon as they can," said Guillen, who has been rumored to be a strong candidate for the Marlins manager opening. "I'm not saying they have to tell me today or tomorrow. But I have a family; I have plans."

What's the rush since winning the division in 2011 would give him two more years with the White Sox?

Blame it on the shifting managerial landscape for one. A number of managerial openings will need to be filled this offseason so it appears that if Guillen can't get the job security he is looking for with his current job, he will try to get it elsewhere.

Guillen expects to have a meeting with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and general manager Ken Williams as soon as possible. He hinted that the meeting could even take place before the season ends on Oct. 3.

"I don't want to put Jerry and Kenny on the spot like, 'Wow, this is it,'" Guillen said. "I just want to know what they think and I bet you we will talk about it."

And if he learns that the White Sox still aren't sure he's the right guy for the long term?

"I say when you ask people about your future or whatever it is, you have to be prepared for the worst," Guillen said. "Hopefully not. Sometimes you don't want to hear the truth and sometimes you don't want to hear what they think but I will respect that. I will respect whatever they think. It will be fine for me."

Much has been made of a deteriorating relationship between Guillen and Williams, and that also could hasten his desire to depart.

"I worry about what's my next step and before I make any move my family has to be aware and [told] about it," Guillen said. "That's what I want to know. I want to go home and tell my family, 'Listen, that's what it is.'

"From now on, wherever I go, they're going to be asking me this question. No matter where we go, when we get to Chicago I will be asked the same question. I have to wait to when we get to Chicago or wait after the season to see exactly what we want, or what they want. I know what I want and I'm very clear about that."

Link