2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ozzie is upset with the fans for getting on Pierre and now Rios for dropping balls. The White Sox have officially dropped 5 fly balls so far this year, with another couple questionable. Maybe Ozzie is just trying to protect his players, although he throws them under a bus occassionally, but if people are charged a lot of money to watch a game and guys are paid as much as those two, I think its more than reasonable to expect them to make plays high school kids make routinely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
Ozzie is upset with the fans for getting on Pierre and now Rios for dropping balls. The White Sox have officially dropped 5 fly balls so far this year, with another couple questionable. Maybe Ozzie is just trying to protect his players, although he throws them under a bus occassionally, but if people are charged a lot of money to watch a game and guys are paid as much as those two, I think its more than reasonable to expect them to make plays high school kids make routinely.

He said he doesn't care about the boos, but he doesn't like the Bronx cheers. I actually don't really care for those either, because you're not just letting them hear it when they suck but when they do what they're supposed to as well. However, I get that you can do what you want when you pay for tickets. I just won't participate in the Bronx cheers, personally.

Of course, this assumes that players even give a crap what the crowd does. I think they do, somewhat, when it's the home crowd.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
I've only heard highlights, haven't been able to see any games live yet, so it might be just be in the small sample that I've heard that Hawk sounds different. He sounds old. He sounds like he has a new accent. Did he get new teeth? Am I crazy?

No, he just lost the old ones

"In total, the White Sox slipped to 5-3 when leading after eight innings and have yielded an astonishing 10 ninth-inning runs on this homestand. Those kind of scary numbers leave the shell-shocked relievers with very little left to say."

Just epic fail. Epic fail. Nothing can get worse, only better (right?).

If they get rained out tonight, they'll probably play a doubleheader on Sunday.

Then the question is---what will they do with the rotation? They might be forced to start Marquez, Harrell, or Dolsi the last game in Tampa.

Peavy ready for 5 innings?

2005 & 2006 rotations had fewest starts last 4 innings or less since 1919

So I wondered: What rotation was the best at almost never needing a long man? The answer is a tribute to the job pitching coach Don Cooper and manager Ozzie Guillen do in Chicago with the White Sox. Their 2005 and 2006 rotations posted the fewest early knockouts in the live ball era (since 1919).

An early knockout is defined as any start in which the starter is gone after four or fewer innings. The Phillies, already with two such starts, will be hard pressed to replace the world champion 2005 White Sox and their staff of Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, John Garland, Jose Contreras and Orlando Hernandez.

Fewest starts 4 innings or fewer (full seasons since 1919)

Year Team Starts

2005 White Sox 5

2006 White Sox 7

1919 Robins 8

1922 Giants 8

1988 Expos 8

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)

That's really cool to see, I wouldn't have expected 2006 to be that low but the Sox have been great at going after guys that pitch a ton of innings and still stay relatively healthy (sans Peavy).

Just call this a gut feeling, a hunch or whatever ... but if the Sox can't turn this around quickly that there will be a new manager by May 15th. They have the talent but are not playing up to their capabilities. I've always been an Ozzie supporter, but it's the manager that falls on the sword. My guess is that they'd give Cora a shot, but I think I'd prefer Buddy Bell. It will be interesting to what kind of responses I get to this post. Bring it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)
Just call this a gut feeling, a hunch or whatever ... but if the Sox can't turn this around quickly that there will be a new manager by May 15th. They have the talent but are not playing up to their capabilities. I've always been an Ozzie supporter, but it's the manager that falls on the sword. My guess is that they'd give Cora a shot, but I think I'd prefer Buddy Bell. It will be interesting to what kind of responses I get to this post. Bring it.

Beware the Ides of May.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)

Cora wouldn't really be a change in philosophy. Bell quit managing because he was sick of the travel. Maybe he is interested in getting back into it, I don't know, but his track record as a manager isn't quite stellar. Of course its not all his fault he's managed rotten teams, but the teams he has managed played a little better or about the same before he came on board and after he left than when he was making out the line up card which would indicate his impact for winning's sake is minimal if anything at all. I've never been an Ozzie guy but if those two are the choices, then I say why fire him. FWIW, Oney has stated if anything ever happened to Ozzie, Cora would never take the job. I don't buy it, but you never know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
Cora wouldn't really be a change in philosophy. Bell quit managing because he was sick of the travel. Maybe he is interested in getting back into it, I don't know, but his track record as a manager isn't quite stellar. Of course its not all his fault he's managed rotten teams, but the teams he has managed played a little better or about the same before he came on board and after he left than when he was making out the line up card which would indicate his impact for winning's sake is minimal if anything at all. I've never been an Ozzie guy but if those two are the choices, then I say why fire him. FWIW, Oney has stated if anything ever happened to Ozzie, Cora would never take the job. I don't buy it, but you never know.

To be honest, I didn't even think beyond the organization because of JR's loyalty factor. I agree that Cora wouldn't be a philosophy change, but he's not nearly as gregarious as Ozzie, which at this point might be a plus. But, for the philosophy reason, I looked for someone else. Hence, Bell.