2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
Lillibridge, Teahen and Vizquel will be in the lineup tomorrow.

Over Rios, Morel and Beckham?

Nothing wrong with that. The other three have some of the slowest bats in baseball right now.

While cleaning the house for Easter after the game yesterday, my seven year held up the flag we got on opening day and stated, "All In, it should say All Out" I could only chuckle. Man I hope the Hawks win.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I see a lot of people saying that. Is that an educated guess or was this stated by KW or JR?

Who else would you bring in? It'd be on an interim basis for sure, but he is the next guy in line. If they fire Ozzie in the off-season it would be a different story.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Bring in Lou Pinella or Joe Torre. I am serious.

Torre is a great idea.

I'd do it now.

However, you know what? Sox will not pay him the money. No f***ing way.

They won't pay Torre.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
That's it, you figured it out, they don't respect Ozzie Guillen anymore.

I don't think it's that at all. I just really don't like Ozzie's managerial smarts. He makes too many moves that leave me guessing. I just think it's time for a change (and I have for a year+ now).

Chicago White Sox

From 2007 to 2009 the first pitch for White Sox home games was scheduled for 7:11 p.m. as part of a sponsorship with convenience store chain 7-Eleven. After that contract expired, games were returned to their prior start time of 7:10, and this year the White Sox ought to move forward the remainder of their home games by far more than one minute. Through three weeks, Chicago is 1-6 in night games but 6-5 in day games. The club is in the middle of a seven-game losing streak, and though they won't actually change their entire home schedule, it may be time for a drastic shakeup of another kind -- maybe by shuffling the lineup and dropping struggling Juan Pierre and Gordon Beckham out of the top two spots.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1Kd426jIl

White Sox dropped from 8th to 26th in Power Ratings, Indians 2nd

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
I don't think it's that at all. I just really don't like Ozzie's managerial smarts. He makes too many moves that leave me guessing. I just think it's time for a change (and I have for a year+ now).

Joe Torre is legendary for making moves that leave people guessing but then somehow wind up working.

The Yankees have won 13 of these teams' last 16 meetings in the Bronx.

A visit to Yankee Stadium could make an already horrendous road trip even worse for Chicago (8-14). The White Sox have dropped 10 of 11 overall and six of seven on their 11-game swing.

Chicago got outscored 21-3 in a weekend sweep at Detroit, suffering shutouts in the last two games. The White Sox lost 3-0 Sunday, extending their scoreless streak to 20 innings.

Chicago is batting .193 over the last 11 games. Adam Dunn went 0 for 3 with one strikeout Sunday, dropping his average to a season-low .145. The veteran slugger has two hits and 15 strikeouts in his last 30 at-bats.

"Nothing works," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I'll keep plugging guys in and hope things come around, but now every day is like rewinding a movie and watching it again."

While their offense is slumping, White Sox hitters have had success in the past against A.J. Burnett (3-0, 4.37 ERA).

Burnett has lost his last two starts against Chicago, giving up 16 runs and 18 hits in eight innings.

However, Dunn is 3 for 14 with five strikeouts against Burnett.

Phil Humber (1-2, 4.42) will start for the White Sox, seeking to avoid losing a third straight start.

The right-hander allowed a season-high four runs in 5 1-3 innings of a 4-1 loss to Tampa Bay on Wednesday.

In the rotation in place of the injured Jake Peavy, Humber has received just four total runs of support in three starts.

Read more: http://nydailynews.stats.com/mlb/preview.a...0#ixzz1KdfUQH1S

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
That's it, you figured it out, they don't respect Ozzie Guillen anymore.

I did not say that.

All I said was this isn't working. This is what happened last year and 25-5 runs are not all that common that we can rely on that again. Oh and the White Sox were not in it at the end so the slow start hurt them and it is hurting them again.

If a real change is made, and none will, you have to bring in a person the players will respect.

This team should be able to win games on talent alone and they are not so something needs to change, what that is I do not know and from the sound of it, neither does Guillen.

A couple Sox fans had an awesome day at O'Hare.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams figured his team's recent play was about as bad as things could get for April. Then, his flight to New York on Monday got delayed -- in a Chicago airport.

"Two and a half hours," Williams said from the press box at Yankee Stadium about an hour before his team would kick off a four-game road series against the Yankees. "So I had the pleasure of sitting in the terminal for 2 1/2 hours with angry Sox fans. That was fun."

As he passed the time for his flight to board, Williams heard suggestions from fans on who should play, who should be benched, whom he should trade for and who should be let go.

"I gave them all [manager Ozzie Guillen's] number and told them to call him," Williams joked.

Of course, there was little else to joke about at this time. Williams' club -- the highly expensive one that was supposed to display a potent offense and be among baseball's best this season -- was coming off winning just two games in its last 13 and had hit just .195 while scoring 32 runs in that span.

At this early juncture, though, Williams wanted to console, not condemn, saying he just wanted to "give some hugs" and that his guys have "got to lighten up, not tighten up."

Williams has faced plenty of situations with his team in a funk. The difference this year, he believes, is the talent level.

"It's a whole different stress level when you look at what we have," Williams said. "You look at 22 games, and I refuse to be anything other than optimistic."

But Williams also didn't ignore the obvious struggles of a team that entered Monday having been shut out in back-to-back games for the first time in 22 months, is unsure of what it will get from its bullpen and has seen its biggest offseason acquisition -- slugger Adam Dunn -- struggle to the tune of a .145 batting average.

Chicago has scored three runs or fewer in nine of its last 10 games, a stretch in which it has faced some stellar starting pitching, including Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, James Shields, David Price, Dan Haren and Jered Weaver.

Early as it may be, and good pitching aside, the reality is the White Sox are 8-14 and in last place in the American League Central in an "all-in" year.

"We've earned every bit of it," Williams said of the criticism his team has faced. "We've not hit, we've not pitched consistently and we've not caught the ball. We've played probably as poorly as we can possibly play."

But Williams didn't suggest that he's ready for drastic changes -- particularly not with the coaching staff.

"None of them have gotten any dumber in the last number of weeks," Williams said. "They're the same guys, and I have confidence in all of them."

Because of the offense's struggles, a lot of the heat from the outside has been placed on hitting coach Greg Walker. But Williams pointed out that the offense was the White Sox bright spot early on.

And Guillen doesn't believe his coaching staff deserves blame for the players' shortcomings.

"It's not fair when somebody's job is on the line because the players don't produce," Guillen said. "That's not fair. There are some guys out there making $12 [million] to 15 million. Greg Walker only makes $100,000. I ask you, why should it be Greg Walker's fault?"

Before the finger was pointed at Walker, it was the bullpen that was blowing games early. Now, as the offense has failed to produce, that bullpen has barely had a chance to close out a game.

"It's been a collective effort, from the general manager to the manager to the coaches and the players on down," Williams said. "I think the grounds crew had a bad day last week in Chicago. We're all in it together, and right now, we're not looking too great."