2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
We COULD call up 15 players, right?

Technically more. You can call up to 40, so if you had anyone on the 60 day DL you could go beyond that I believe

At least I think, I could be wrong

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Technically more. You can call up to 40, so if you had anyone on the 60 day DL you could go beyond that I believe

At least I think, I could be wrong

Players on the 60-day DL don't count towards the 40-man roster. The most you can have is 40 active players, but anyone on the 15-day DL counts on the 40-man roster so you'd have to have a completely healthy roster for that to happen. With AJ out, the Sox wouldn't be able to have 40 active players and I assume they aren't going to move him to the 60-day DL.

Winston-Salem Dash

The Dash have announced a series of roster moves today. RHP Justin Cassel and RHP J.R. Ballinger have been promoted to AAA Charlotte, and C Kevin Dubler has been sent to low-A Kannapolis. In corresponding roster moves, the Dash receive RHP Brian Blough and RHP Jason Van Skike from Rookie Bristol.

Kannapolis Intimidators

‎#IntimidatingStat: Outfielder Trayce Thompson leads the SAL w 92 runs scored & 131 games played. He's 2nd in HR (24) & 3rd in RBI (87).

Kannapolis Intimidators

‎#IntimidatingPitchingStat: Spencer Arroyo leads the SAL with 164.2 innings pitched, ranks 3rd in strikeouts (126), & 8th in ERA (3.50).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2612266.html

A high-profile Dominican pitcher has received a second suspension and had his contract voided, only this time Major League Baseball hasn't said why—even to the team that had a deal with him.

MLB suspended righthander Juan Carlos Paniagua, who agreed to terms with the Yankees for a $1.1 million bonus in March, for one year. Yankees vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman confirmed that the league informed the Yankees around a month ago that Paniagua was suspended, but said that MLB did not tell them the reason for the suspension. A source familiar with the case said that Paniagua was in the process of appealing the penalty.

MLB has not responded to several requests for a comment over the past week. Paniagua and his representatives were also unable to be reached for comment.

One-year suspensions are usually reserved for a player who presents false information to teams about his age or his identity. Sitting out a year would be nothing new for Paniagua, who received a one-year suspension in June 2010 for false paperwork. Paniagua agreed to terms with the Diamondbacks while presenting himself as Juan Collado on May 8, 2009 for $17,000. At the time, MLB allowed players with pending contracts to play in the Dominican Summer League, so Paniagua pitched for the DSL Diamondbacks in 2009, racking up a 4.66 ERA in 29 innings with 33 strikeouts and 15 walks in 18 relief appearances.

By the time the 2010 season began, Paniagua's contract still had not received league approval, so he made three more relief appearances in the DSL, the last of which came on June 7. After that, MLB suspended Paniagua for one year and his contract was voided, though he only ended up having to wait nine months before his suspension ended this year on March 8. An MLB official at the time explained that Paniagua's suspension "was applied retroactively as the result of an administrative issue."

As it turned out, MLB's suspension helped Paniagua score a significant windfall, drawing the frustration of several team officials across the industry. While he was suspended, his name changed from Juan Collado to Juan Carlos Paniagua, but he still used the same April 4, 1990 date of birth that he used to sign with the Diamondbacks. Paniagua touched the low-90s with the Diamondbacks, but during his suspension his fastball was sitting at 93-95 mph and touched the high-90s. The Yankees were also high on his changeup, though scouts from other organizations had reservations about his breaking ball and feel for pitching.

MLB changed the rule that players could participate in the DSL while awaiting contract approval, so Paniagua has never pitched in an official game for the Yankees.

The Yankees are still awaiting word on a more advanced pitcher, 20-year-old Dominican righthander Jose Rafael DePaula, to get his contract approved. DePaula, who has already served a one-year suspension for age and identity fraud, agreed to terms with the Yankees in November 2010 for $500,000.

"He's working with the Consulate to try to get applied for a visa," Newman said. "Beyond that, we can't say anything. That's between the player and the Consulate."

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Scout just sent me a photo of his radar gun at 100. No clue what park he's at, or who did it. #NeedMoreInformation

100 mph guy is a guy I have not put in a daily report this year. #mystery100mph

I'm proud to realize that the mystery 100 mph guy was my sleeper on that team's Top 11 list this year.

The 100 mph guy was #WhiteSox RHP Nathan Jones, a 25-year-old at AA who has always been able to bring it, but little else.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
I think Escobar's headed to Chicago. Not in the lineup tonight and Rafael Vera was moved up to Charlotte from Kannapolis. That would give them one too many on the active roster.

Cool. That gives him some time to get some coaching from Omar.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Like Goldstein said, always been able to bring it but never put it all together. Supposed to have a plus curve when it's on too. Needs control though his numbers have been better this year.

His curve is sick. His fastball is outstanding, and he's one of my favorite prospects that I've hyped for like two years now. Was disappointing earlier, but has put together a good stretch. Hoping he can still put it together and have a crazy year next season in AAA. (I still follow up on how well his delivery is becomming more consistent so that is good.)

Apologies if this was already posted regarding Tyler Flowers, via Fangraphs

Tyler Flowers, White Sox

Once considered the White Sox’s catcher of the future, Flowers has struggled with strikeouts (28% K rate) enough to make some question his big-league future. But the 25-year-old has improved his defensive skills enough that he should be able to stick at catcher, and he’s always shown above-average pop, routinely posting ISO numbers north of .200. In his third try at Triple-A this year, Flowers notched an .890 OPS — his best at Charlotte — and he walks enough (17% BB rate) to balance out his tendency to whiff, at least somewhat. Filling in for the injured A.J. Pierzynski — who has one year left on his contract — Flowers has gone 14-for-43 (.326) with 2 HRs and 9 RBIs since mid-August, showing he’s capable of being the successor on the South Side. That should allow him to carve out an expanded role compared to most other backup catchers in 2012.

Hopefully Tyler will continue to improve his overall play now and into 2012.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
*sigh* yeah, I know Danman.

Just hate it that the Sox have a better signal-caller in Flowers yet they want to play the Vet/one who stinks behind the plate.

Bolded is a key here, in that the game calling is probably the biggest reason you don't rush in a new catcher if you can avoid it. Flowers has done well so far, but I would rather see AJ continue to start this year, and next. I wouldn't be 100% against trading him for the right offer, but I doubt that happens, so I'd rather see the team with AJ and Tyler in 2012, with Tyler getting a third of the playing time and spending some time at DH to get the at bats.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 02:36 AM)
Anyone know the pitcher's stats w/ Tyler behind the plate? Because it seems like our pitchers do really well w/ him, even in a small sample size.

Although it's not a great stat, the Sox have a 3.59 ERA when throwing to Flowers.

For those that regularly or even semi-regularly follow the minors leagues, who's your top overall prospect in baseball right now? Has to be a guy that hasn't seen the majors yet. And no Bryce Harper. That's too easy.

Mine is Jurickson Profar.

Kid's tools are off the charts.

Edited by Jordan4life