2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Except Jeff Keppinger's not exactly going to get us over the top.

He can take Vizquel's spot and save us some money for 2012. That's about it.

That's fine though. He still has value as a utility guy. This assessment of Kuhn isn't a surprise. Not many had thought him an impact prospect in the first place.

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Except Jeff Keppinger's not exactly going to get us over the top.

He can take Vizquel's spot and save us some money for 2012. That's about it.

If you were expecting Tyler Kuhn to be a savior, then you were looking for gold in a gorilla's ass.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
He sounds like a possibly better version of Joe Serafin.

Serafin didn't really dominate the way this guy is, though. And I think Walters has more velocity.

Serafin has dropped off the screen, as you probably noticed, he seems to basically be capped at A ball. Hopefully this guy does better than that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Serafin didn't really dominate the way this guy is, though. And I think Walters has more velocity.

Serafin has dropped off the screen, as you probably noticed, he seems to basically be capped at A ball. Hopefully this guy does better than that.

I don't think there's too much of a difference. Serafin is a 5'10 lefty, Walters is a 6' lefty. Both came from mid-major D1 college programs.

Serafin didn't put up the strikeout numbers Walters did, but he had a 20:5 K:BB ratio for Bristol and then put up 38:9 in 42.1 innings for Kannapolis as a rookie.

Walters now has a 53:9 in 48 innings for Great Falls. The K rate is much better and he's a year younger than Serafin was as a rookie, but he's also doing it in rookie ball while Serafin did it in Kanny. I said Walters is probably a bit better, but I see a lot of similarities.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)

Oh my god, I didn't realize that sign said "400" until just now. I thought it was hit to right-center, and figured the fence there was like 370 or so. That HR must have gone almost 500 ft, or at least 470.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
Kannapolis Intimidators

ROSTER MOVE: LHP Wes Whisler promoted to AAA Charlotte Knights today. In his last 22 games with Kannapolis, Whisler posted a 1.08 ERA (3 ER/25.0 IP) and recorded three saves in a four-game span in the last week. Good luck, Wes!

Ryan Buch activated for the Dash as well.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Jose Martinez is back in W-S and was in the starting lineup this evening, but was pinch hit for in his 1st AB. /shrug

The Dash are completing a suspended game from June. Martinez is still with the Barons.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
I wonder if Kuhn and Phegley are rejoining the Barons for the playoffs? Best theory I got.

Yes. Playoff rosters have to be finalized by the middle of August in the Southern League. Charlotte's not going to the playoffs. In Justin Greene's case, having a batting average 60 points higher than KW Jr. doesn't mean you won't lose playing time to Daddy's boy. But, I guess he doesn't mind the promotion.

Edited by JPN366