Final Four

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a team that lost 5 games in the Horizon league and the 9th place Big East team are in the final 4 and there is still the possibility that they are joined by a 4 seed and a team that was one of the last 4 in the tournament. College basketball was filled with awful teams this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
So a team that lost 5 games in the Horizon league and the 9th place Big East team are in the final 4 and there is still the possibility that they are joined by a 4 seed and a team that was one of the last 4 in the tournament. College basketball was filled with awful teams this year.

I hear this every year. This is what happens in a one and out basketball tournament. That's why the NBA goes best of 7. The best college team just got eliminated and the second best doesn't have to play anyone til the Final Four.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 04:14 AM)
I hear this every year. This is what happens in a one and out basketball tournament. That's why the NBA goes best of 7. The best college team just got eliminated and the second best doesn't have to play anyone til the Final Four.

No you don't. The last two years there simply hasn't been any great teams. You sure as hell didn't hear it two years ago, in 08, or 07 when their were obviously great teams.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
Could this have possibly gone any better for the NCAA? A play-in team to the Final Four in the very first year they tried this format.

It's really kind of the perfect storm for them. You have two "cinderellas" and two power houses left no matter what. Kind of the best of both worlds type deal.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Could this have possibly gone any better for the NCAA? A play-in team to the Final Four in the very first year they tried this format.

When they see the TV ratings for Butler/VCU.....they'll realize it could have gone better. A lot better. You're right that it does seem to validate the first four format though, and for that I'm sure they're pleased. The TV ratings for the Final should be good though. Butler/Duke had good ratings last year IIRC, and regardless of what happens from here on out, we know it'll be a traditional superpower vs. mid-major Final again this year.

Butler/VCU is an amazing story and will be fun, but it's only possible because the top teams suck. I can't get over Butler being in the Final 4, they're not even in the same ballpark as a team as they were last year. An easy bracket and winning experience does wonders though. VCU is even more amazing considering they had to win 5 games, all against BCS teams from different leagues. Plus, they don't have Butler's winning experience.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

One national semifinal is two of the biggest cheaters in the sport with Calhoun and Calipari. The other is a bracketbuster game in April. Fascinating bit of contrast between two games on the same night with the same thing on the line.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
One national semifinal is two of the biggest cheaters in the sport with Calhoun and Calipari. The other is a bracketbuster game in April. Fascinating bit of contrast between two games on the same night with the same thing on the line.

LMAO.

That's a ridiculous statement.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
LMAO.

That's a ridiculous statement.

I would LOVE to hear an explanation as to why. Because I don't think it exists. Calipari is worse than Calhoun obviously, but they're both very scummy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
I would LOVE to hear an explanation as to why. Because I don't think it exists. Calipari is worse than Calhoun, but they're both scummy.

No problem with the Calipari remark...Calhoun doesn't deserve to be mentioned anywhere near him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
No problem with the Calipari remark...Calhoun doesn't deserve to be mentioned anywhere near him.

I won't even totally argue that in the sense Calipari is on his own planet in cheating. But Calhoun is without question also a very significant cheater, and to have both of these guys in this game sucks. Cheating does pay.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I won't even totally argue that in the sense Calipari is on his own planet in cheating. But Calhoun is without question also a very significant cheater, and to have both of these guys in this game sucks. Cheating does pay.

Calhoun has had the one incident. And frankly, what he was accused of is awfully minor. 90% of what went on was on Nochimson, who by all accounts acted pretty much on his own. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the likes of many of the coaches in college.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
The bad thing about VCU in the Final Four is that it gives all the supporters of a 96-team bracket so much ammo. If the last team in can make it that far, why couldn't the 70th or 80th team do it too? Get ready for that argument.

I honestly have no problem with a 96 team bracket at this point...but then again I'm not a huge college basketball fan outside of the tournament, so having the regular season basically be irrelevant would not bother me. And more NCAA tourney games can never be a bad thing, IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
I honestly have no problem with a 96 team bracket at this point...but then again I'm not a huge college basketball fan outside of the tournament, so having the regular season basically be irrelevant would not bother me. And more NCAA tourney games can never be a bad thing, IMO.

UGH. I think I'd literally kill someone if they expand to 96 teams.

So Mike and Mike on ESPN, one of the dumbest radio shows out there, had a debate this morning about whether the tournament is "good" for deciding who the real "champion" of men's basketball is each year. In essence, Greenberg was arguing that any team can make a run and win, but they wouldn't be the "best" team that year.

I for one think that's stupid logic. I understand that teams have bad draws/matchups, that teams get cold and lose a game they would otherwise win, but that's the stakes for everyone, and over the course of six games, those "flukes" are going to even out. If VCU ends up winning the whole thing, then guess what, they ARE the best team because they played the best basketball over the last 3 weeks of the season.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
So Mike and Mike on ESPN, one of the dumbest radio shows out there, had a debate this morning about whether the tournament is "good" for deciding who the real "champion" of men's basketball is each year. In essence, Greenberg was arguing that any team can make a run and win, but they wouldn't be the "best" team that year.

I for one think that's stupid logic. I understand that teams have bad draws/matchups, that teams get cold and lose a game they would otherwise win, but that's the stakes for everyone, and over the course of six games, those "flukes" are going to even out. If VCU ends up winning the whole thing, then guess what, they ARE the best team because they played the best basketball over the last 3 weeks of the season.

VCU is not the best team in the country even if they win the championship. I'm not sure how that is even debatable.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)

A bartender on saturday was actually saying that this year's tournament is a good argument for the BCS as something that determines champions.