Payroll Too Big

Marty34

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
But the question is: Will JR and KW have the patience to stick with the current team if they get out to a .500 start over the first two months and attendance stays similar to last year? I get the sense from upper management that if the team gets off to a slow or even .500 start AND fans aren't coming to the park in the way they had hoped, then by the ASB the dismantling of the 2011 Chicago White Sox will have already begun.

That's the thing. As a best case scenario, I seriously doubt attendance will be up anything more than marginally this year. Economic times are not lending themselves to people going to the ballpark. If the Sox win big this year they will see the attendance bump next year, otherwise I believe it will be a tough go

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
That's the thing. As a best case scenario, I seriously doubt attendance will be up anything more than marginally this year. Economic times are not lending themselves to people going to the ballpark. If the Sox win big this year they will see the attendance bump next year, otherwise I believe it will be a tough go

Based on economic conditions, I doubt it would matter in terms of attendance, but that said, they have to go about their business and try to put a competitive product on the field people will pay to see. Otherwise, like any business, if you aren't going to bother trying, you may as well close up shop.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Yep. Just breaking down the schedule, I'd the Sox to be 50-43 at the break, and within 3 games of first place. If it's this, or better, then they'll be in real good shape going into the second half.

Have you seen Detroit's schedule in both August and September? After looking at that It wouldn't surprise me if they hang around in the first four months that they would win the division. Almost all of their games in a two month period are against crappy teams. Never mind that the Twins have an easy schedule in both August and September too. The Sox and Twins have to play either Boston or NY once in that two month stretch. Detroit plays neither. The advantage of an easy schedule that you guys make the Sox out to have isn't there, because Detroit and Minnesota have a similar 2nd half schedule to the Sox. The ALC division is going to be won in the first half of the season. I think if a team is 5 games up at the ASB, it's over.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Have you seen Detroit's schedule in both August and September? After looking at that It wouldn't surprise me if they hang around in the first four months that they would win the division. Almost all of their games in a two month period are against crappy teams. Never mind that the Twins have an easy schedule in both August and September too. The Sox and Twins have to play either Boston or NY once in that two month stretch. Detroit plays neither. The advantage of an easy schedule that you guys make the Sox out to have isn't there, because Detroit and Minnesota have a similar 2nd half schedule to the Sox.

So basically, what your saying with a whole bunch of words is: The Sox have to play out the season and see who wins the division?

:notworthy

Seriously, if you go position by position the Sox are the sttrongest in the Central. I know it doesn't work that way and that those scrappy Twins always figure it out, but I don't see why anyone would think we have more holes than the other contenders. If we get in the playoffs, there's no telling what will happen (see Giants vs Rangers).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
So basically, what your saying with a whole bunch of words is: The Sox have to play out the season and see who wins the division?

:notworthy

No, what I was saying is that the perceived advantage that the Sox have an easier second half schedule than the Twins or Tigers is false. If JR is really all in, unless the Sox fall 6.5+ games out before the trade deadline, they need to play out the season with the current group. They can blow up the team in the offseason, unless they are sure at the TD that they can't win. If they truly believe they can't win, then get something for Jackson and Buehrle, and possibly Danks.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
The Yankees have far better resources (money, better farm system) to address their holes than we do. The Yankees may have a down year, but you can bet the next time a pitcher is available via trade or free agency, they'll be at the front of the line to acquire him regardless of cost.

They actually tried that this year and the guy signed with Philly. I think the Yanks will have a down year, that's why I don't believe they should be used in your example of good teams we have to play.

Edited by chwhtsox

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
The first couple months are fairly brutal.

April 1 - June 1

58 games. 35 road, 23 home

4 at TB, NY, Tor

3 at Bos

9 game road trip Seattle, Anaheim, and Oakland

If the Sox are 30-28 on June 2, I'll take it. Then it's time to start kicking butt after that when it's more home/interleague/and divisional games.

The Sox are going to have to be a 2nd half team...they have no other choice.

They play down to the competition, so they better have a better record than 30-28 at that point.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Is this real life?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
Is this just fantasy?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Are we caught in a landslide?

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
No escape from reality . . .

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeee

(nobody starts reciting the greatest rock song of all time without me helping out)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Cuz I'm easy come, easy go

A little high, a little low

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
to me

Mama...

World Series are won on the field with players having excellent seasons, staying healthy, and avoiding bad luck. This team has the talent to compete. Rebuilding is a romantic notion that somehow at some future date you will have a better team. If it was that simple everyone would do it. Rebuilding today is buying a couple free agents, trading your Reeds for MLB ready players, and having a few guys catch lightening.

Agreed. This is basically how we won it on 2005.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
The first couple months are fairly brutal.

April 1 - June 1

58 games. 35 road, 23 home

4 at TB, NY, Tor

3 at Bos

9 game road trip Seattle, Anaheim, and Oakland

If the Sox are 30-28 on June 2, I'll take it. Then it's time to start kicking butt after that when it's more home/interleague/and divisional games.

The Sox are going to have to be a 2nd half team...they have no other choice.

r

This is actually not so bad, id rather play more home games in the warmer months of June/July/August where our team can really take advantage with power. We get to play at the Yanks and Red Sox at a time where they too will be "waiting for the warmer, slugger happy" weather to come around. We play the Yanks and Red Sox early where they usually get off to a slow start as well.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
r

This is actually not so bad, id rather play more home games in the warmer months of June/July/August where our team can really take advantage with power. We get to play at the Yanks and Red Sox at a time where they too will be "waiting for the warmer, slugger happy" weather to come around. We play the Yanks and Red Sox early where they usually get off to a slow start as well.

2010 marked the first time the Red Sox had a below .500 April since 1996, and most of them weren't even borderline. In 2005, they went 12-11 and in 1999, they went 11-11. Otherwise, they've been quite a bit over .500.

The Red Sox simply haven't gotten off to slow starts for the better part of 2 decades.

The Yankees are a bit different, but their lineup has become more athletic over the past few years, so they are less dependent upon power and moreso on good pitching and executing offensively. In fact, they went 15-7 in April last year, so that's quite the opposite of starting slow.

No matter what, those are always going to be tough games. Just gotta hope you can play them well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
What is the attraction of rebuilding for people? This isn't fantasy baseball where you can play 20 years of baseball in a week. The last thing I want to see is 3-5 years of minor league baseball, with no guarentee that we can catch lightning in a bottle. Give me competing for a division title any year, even if it is with a flawed team. I've been through rebuilding multiple times. Rebuilding sucks.

That's the post of the year. Rebuilding is dumb. We don't have to rebuild. Do it like the Yankes, Bosox, etc. Reload.

We got Dunn. We got the pitching horses. They just have to do the job.

I mean we got Danks, Floyd, Mark, Jackson. f***. That's good enough. With decent bullpen on paper.

If the guys underachieve, fine.

Oz will be the fall guy this year for sure.

Oz will be gone if we are not in first or close to it by the break.

GO SOX.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
That's the post of the year. Rebuilding is dumb. We don't have to rebuild. Do it like the Yankes, Bosox, etc. Reload.

We got Dunn. We got the pitching horses. They just have to do the job.

I mean we got Danks, Floyd, Mark, Jackson. f***. That's good enough. With decent bullpen on paper.

If the guys underachieve, fine.

Oz will be the fall guy this year for sure.

Oz will be gone if we are not in first or close to it by the break.

GO SOX.

Jacoby Ellsbury: 1st round - 23rd pick

Dustin Pedroia: 2nd round pick

Kevin Youkilis: 8th round pick

Jon Lester: 2nd round pick

Clay Buchholz: Supplemental pick

Daniel Bard: 1st round - 28th pick

Jonathan Papelbon: 4th round pick

Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez, two amateur FA signings, netted Josh Beckett, who spearheaded them to a WS title in 2007.

Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes was enough to land Adrian Gonzalez.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's easy to say "reload" like Boston. But Boston has been brilliant in identifying, signing and developing premium talent. And you don't have to have a top 5 pick every year to do this. We're not Boston. Not even close.

Edited by Jordan4life