Payroll Too Big

Marty34

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Its actually the same argument Bears fans made when Jay Cutler was acquired. Anything can happen, but I think the Sox should be fine this year.

It's difficult to compare the two games, obviously nobody gave much thought into how Cutler would fit into the current system (back then) or timing with his recievers, etc...upgrading at DH should be pretty cut and dry.

IMO nobody should be worrying about payroll other than JR. If we're in it by the break, money will become available or we'll trade for what we need. If we're out of it completely, I can guarantee we won't end the year with the same payroll. KW will make whatever trades neccessary whichever way this goes. We've had some success this past decade, there's no reason to be bitter like we have no shot.

With that being said...

Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
It's difficult to compare the two games, obviously nobody gave much thought into how Cutler would fit into the current system (back then) or timing with his recievers, etc...upgrading at DH should be pretty cut and dry.

IMO nobody should be worrying about payroll other than JR. If we're in it by the break, money will become available or we'll trade for what we need. If we're out of it completely, I can guarantee we won't end the year with the same payroll. KW will make whatever trades neccessary whichever way this goes. We've had some success this past decade, there's no reason to be bitter like we have no shot.

With that being said...

Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me...

We had a big need last year and weren't able to upgrade it at the deadline. That's a dangerous game to play for a team with such a thin system. Hopefully a major need doesn't arise.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
We had a big need last year and weren't able to upgrade it at the deadline. That's a dangerous game to play for a team with such a thin system. Hopefully a major need doesn't arise.

I agree. My point was that we have an active GM that's willing to do whatever necessary to improve the club if we have a shot. Win or lose he keeps it interesting.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Spring does not mean s***, without looking tell me who had the best record last spring you cannot! :gosoxretro: :bringit

I'm going to take a shot at this, without looking, because I think I remember. The Kansas City Royals.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm more excited for this team than I've ever been for any team besides maybe 2006. But, Peavy has to be at least good when he returns. It's gravy if he's a stud, although he absolutely needs to be a dependable pitcher.

I don't see how you can be excited if it's based on Peavy even just being dependable. Regardless of how the Sox front office wants to paint it, peavy's "setback" is a major disappointment. We have 12 games (8 on the road) against the Yankees and Rays in April to go along with a 3 game series in Detroit. Phil Humber is the 5th starter, very scary.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't see how you can be excited if it's based on Peavy even just being dependable. Regardless of how the Sox front office wants to paint it, peavy's "setback" is a major disappointment. We have 12 games (8 on the road) against the Yankees and Rays in April to go along with a 3 game series in Detroit. Phil Humber is the 5th starter, very scary.

We have the easiest schedule in the AL.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

How is something we were told was going to happen, a major disappointment?

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
LOL. I started laughing as soon as you said "after watching this spring".

Hahaha hilarious, I bet after April and May last year he was also ready to say blow it up, fire everyone, then by July the team was in first place.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
If it was going to happen, why is Phil Humber the 5th starter.

How can you worry about the holes on our team and use the Yankees as an example of teams we have to play? The Yankees are nothing more than a sexy name these days. EVERYONE has flaws right now, most are far worse than ours.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
How can you worry about the holes on our team and use the Yankees as an example of teams we have to play? The Yankees are nothing more than a sexy name these days. EVERYONE has flaws right now, most are far worse than ours.

The Yankees have far better resources (money, better farm system) to address their holes than we do. The Yankees may have a down year, but you can bet the next time a pitcher is available via trade or free agency, they'll be at the front of the line to acquire him regardless of cost.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Hahaha hilarious, I bet after April and May last year he was also ready to say blow it up, fire everyone, then by July the team was in first place.

After April and May, everyone and I mean absolutely everyone on this board wanted to blow this team up. FACT.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Source? That schedule is not easy in April.

The first couple months are fairly brutal.

April 1 - June 1

58 games. 35 road, 23 home

4 at TB, NY, Tor

3 at Bos

9 game road trip Seattle, Anaheim, and Oakland

If the Sox are 30-28 on June 2, I'll take it. Then it's time to start kicking butt after that when it's more home/interleague/and divisional games.

The Sox are going to have to be a 2nd half team...they have no other choice.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
We have the easiest schedule in the AL, September being the easiest month. If there was ever a time to go for it, this is the season.

Based on last years results, maybe...

But that' just not how baseball works. If you end up playing a bunch of easy teams when they're on white hot streaks, so much for that...and I've seen it happen enough times to know that "strength of schedule" really means, luck of the draw. Just as easily, you could play a stretch of "contenders" that are on losing streaks, which equate to some free wins.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
The Sox are going to have to be a 2nd half team...they have no other choice.

But the question is: Will JR and KW have the patience to stick with the current team if they get out to a .500 start over the first two months and attendance stays similar to last year? I get the sense from upper management that if the team gets off to a slow or even .500 start AND fans aren't coming to the park in the way they had hoped, then by the ASB the dismantling of the 2011 Chicago White Sox will have already begun.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Based on last years results, maybe...

But that' just not how baseball works. If you end up playing a bunch of easy teams when they're on white hot streaks, so much for that...and I've seen it happen enough times to know that "strength of schedule" really means, luck of the draw. Just as easily, you could play a stretch of "contenders" that are on losing streaks, which equate to some free wins.

Well, thats the only data you have to use to evaluate such things. There are cracks in every theory.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
But the question is: Will JR and KW have the patience to stick with the current team if they get out to a .500 start over the first two months and attendance stays similar to last year? I get the sense from upper management that if the team gets off to a slow or even .500 start AND fans aren't coming to the park in the way they had hoped, then by the ASB the dismantling of the 2011 Chicago White Sox will have already begun.

A .500 start is still in the race.

Last year they were well below .500.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)

It depends how far out we get. If we get down 10 games in the process, this team gets blown up. No question in my mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
A .500 start is still in the race.

Last year they were well below .500.

Yep. Just breaking down the schedule, I'd like the Sox to be 50-43 at the break, and within 3 games of first place. If it's this, or better, then they'll be in real good shape going into the second half.

Edited by flavum