Payroll Too Big

Marty34

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Fair points on the offense. Do you disagree though that the idea of the Sox being World Series contenders is predicated On Peavy returning not just healthy, but being that top-of-the-rotation guy he was acquired for?

As was mentioned, for the Sox to be a World Series contender, they really need 3 very strong starting pitchers and then a 4th good one. Danks has already cemented his place as a very strong starter, so that would leave 2 of Buehrle, Floyd, and Jackson otherwise. I would venture to guess that the two most likely to become that are Floyd and Jackson, because Buehrle is what he is and really won't get much better or worse at this point in time.

I do think if the Sox are going to make a run, and if Peavy is not healthy, they will need an upgrade at the end of the rotation. I don't see Humber being able to hold the fort down all season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Winning a division at this payroll level is not enough and relying on Jackson and Floyd to step up to help form a big three is a gamble I'm not very comfortable with.

The Red Sox didn't make the playoffs last year and they had a $148 million payroll. Detroit spent $119 mill. There are many more examples than just those 2. There is a lot of talent within the division, and if they miss the playoffs, I hope it's because they simply were outplayed and not because they lost a bunch of games they should have won.

Further, Jackson and Floyd only have to step up if the Sox are going to be a World Series contender. A lot can happen between now and then. We'll just have to see how the season goes.

every team has question marks. Even as great as the Red Sox are on paper, Lackey and Beckett can still be considered question marks going into this season.

and no, I don't think for the Sox to compete for a WS Peavy has to be an ace, it would certainly help, but I could realistically see Danks, Floyd and Jackson rolling into the playoffs hot. Are there questions with that scenario? Of course, but again, lets see it play out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Winning a division at this payroll level is not enough

yes it is....... the playoffs are a crapshoot, everyone knows this.

Stop whining, the '11 Sox haven't even played a game yet.

I'll agree that KW could have used his resources better this offseason, but most said the same thing in the '04 offseason.

This team only needs three things. Pitching,pitching and pitching. A number one starter is hard to find. Peavy is not even a starter. Verlander is a legitimate number one. A proven closer is also hard to find.

Maybe Peavy, maybe Thornton, maybe Sale, maybe there should not be so many maybe's with a $125 million payroll.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
maybe there should not be so many maybe's with a $125 million payroll.

Please go look at the rosters for the Mets and Cubs, this year and last year, and note that their opening day payrolls were $132 and $140 million, respectively.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Too many question marks for a team with this payroll. after watching this spring, I'd rather have started the rebuilding than go 'all in" Particularly since so much of the Sox being World Series contenders is predicated upon a Cy Young type version of Peavy. Peavy returning throwing 85-90 won't cut it.

Spring does not mean s***, without looking tell me who had the best record last spring you cannot! :gosoxretro: :bringit

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
This team only needs three things. Pitching,pitching and pitching. A number one starter is hard to find. Peavy is not even a starter. Verlander is a legitimate number one. A proven closer is also hard to find.

Maybe Peavy, maybe Thornton, maybe Sale, maybe there should not be so many maybe's with a $125 million payroll.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that Peavy isn't a starter considering he's never once come out the bullpen in his entire career. He's not a shining example of a healthy pitcher, but once he gets back, he will be a starter. Beyond that, the White Sox have 4 other pretty damn good starting pitchers. Not many teams around the majors can state that. Even without Peavy, I'm taking the White Sox rotation over the Tigers (Verlander and Scherzer are better, but I don't trust Porcello, Penny, or Coke at all).

Beyond that, Thornton has been an absolutely fantastic reliever throughout his career. And, if he fails as a closer, the Sox have Sale to go to. If he fails, they have Crain and Santos. The Sox are not without options closing. They will find someone who will get the job done and will do so more effectively than Bobby Jenks did last year. Personally, I'm glad that the Sox are going into the season with that kind of "question mark" opposed to the "proven commodity" in Jenks.

I don't care if people are pessimistic, but jesus.

---

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeee

(nobody starts reciting the greatest rock song of all time without me helping out)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Not sure how you come to the conclusion that Peavy isn't a starter considering he's never once come out the bullpen in his entire career. He's not a shining example of a healthy pitcher, but once he gets back, he will be a starter. Beyond that, the White Sox have 4 other pretty damn good starting pitchers. Not many teams around the majors can state that. Even without Peavy, I'm taking the White Sox rotation over the Tigers (Verlander and Scherzer are better, but I don't trust Porcello, Penny, or Coke at all).

Beyond that, Thornton has been an absolutely fantastic reliever throughout his career. And, if he fails as a closer, the Sox have Sale to go to. If he fails, they have Crain and Santos. The Sox are not without options closing. They will find someone who will get the job done and will do so more effectively than Bobby Jenks did last year. Personally, I'm glad that the Sox are going into the season with that kind of "question mark" opposed to the "proven commodity" in Jenks.

I don't care if people are pessimistic, but jesus.

---

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeee

(nobody starts reciting the greatest rock song of all time without me helping out)

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
As was mentioned, for the Sox to be a World Series contender, they really need 3 very strong starting pitchers and then a 4th good one. Danks has already cemented his place as a very strong starter, so that would leave 2 of Buehrle, Floyd, and Jackson otherwise. I would venture to guess that the two most likely to become that are Floyd and Jackson, because Buehrle is what he is and really won't get much better or worse at this point in time.

I do think if the Sox are going to make a run, and if Peavy is not healthy, they will need an upgrade at the end of the rotation. I don't see Humber being able to hold the fort down all season.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm more excited for this team than I've ever been for any team besides maybe 2006. But, Peavy has to be at least good when he returns. It's gravy if he's a stud, although he absolutely needs to be a dependable pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Please go look at the rosters for the Mets and Cubs, this year and last year, and note that their opening day payrolls were $132 and $140 million, respectively.

I don't agree with his argument, but that's a terrible response to it. If KW theoretically had a bad offseason because his team with a high payroll has a lot of question marks, it's OK because two other poorly-run organizations are in the same boat?

Edited by Milkman delivers