Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

But the seemingly insatiable hunger for magic has popped up in the renewed slew of press coverage of a 2009 paper, “Finding Osama bin Laden: An Application of Biogeographic Theories and Satellite Imagery,” by UCLA geography professors Thomas Gillespie and John Agnew. Typical headlines describing this paper include “Geographers Had Predicted Osama’s Possible Whereabouts” and “This Class of Geography Students Found Bin Laden’s Hideout Long Before the CIA.”

These stories are simply wrong. By failing to describe what the paper actually says they both distort the real work that went into finding Osama bin Laden and cloud the question of how the techniques Gillespie and Agnew describe can be used in the future.

It’s important to point out, as Danger Room did when the paper came out in February 2009, that the paper was an academic thought problem, and was not an actual mission to find Osama bin Laden. If the UCLA team was using their methodology to actually try and find bin Laden, they would have probably incorporated many of the criticisms I will outline, and may have gotten better results.

So, did the paper say that Osama bin Laden could be found in a compound built in Abbottābad, Pakistan?

No.

In fact, the paper said that the most likely location for bin Laden’s hideout would be in Parachinar, a city about 268 kilometers away from Abbottābad.

Second, if the paper didn’t say that bin Laden would be in Abbottābad, did the paper at least say that bin Laden was 88.9% likely to be there?

No.

In fact, the paper said that the likelihood that he would be somewhere within 300 kilometers of Tora Bora would be 88.9%.

More details from Wired

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I hate racial profiling, but I gotta admit, when I am someone in public and see a Muslim dressed in their traditional garb, I get that uneasy feeling. And I am in no way a racist or anything. In fact, one of my good friends in Muslim.

Really man, there's no way to make that statement sound good any more.

U.S. Releases Osama's home movies.

Video footage taken from Osama bin Laden's hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan, show the terrorist leader watching news coverage of himself on television.

The five U.S. government-selected clips offer the first public glimpse at bin Laden's life behind the walls of his compound in suburban Pakistan. The videos include outtakes of his propaganda films and, taken together, portray him as someone obsessed with his own image and how he is portrayed to the world.

A senior intelligence officer described the information seized from the compound as "the single largest collection" of senior terrorist material ever, NBC News reported. The videos were seized by Navy SEALs after bin Laden was killed Monday.

Officials said they removed audio from the clips because they believed it was "inappropriate" to spread the word of a terrorist, NBC News reported. Video highlights from NBC:

Video 1: A complete, unreleased message to the American people. U.S. intelligence said it was dated some time between October 9 to Nov. 5, 2010. Bin Laden is shown sitting down, dressed in a gold robe, his beard is dyed black and the background is blue. There is no audio but the official said bin Laden is giving his standard message of condemning U.S. policy and capitalism.

Video 2: Bin Laden is sitting on the floor watching a television with video of his own images playing. A video of bin Laden appears on the screen. Then the camera pans over to bin Laden sitting on the floor. He has a gray beard and a black hat on, and is wrapped in a blanket. He is holding the remote control and pointing it at the television, which is sitting on a small, simple wooden table.

Video 3: A practice video. He has a dyed black beard and a wooden background, which was described as an armoire. The official said they have concluded that the armoire in the video is the same one that was found on the compound. There is no date on the video.

Video 4: Another practice clip. He has a brown background and is wearing a white shirt with a T-shirt underneath. There is no date on this video.

Video 5: Another practice video. He is in front of a wrinkled sheet, wearing a gold covering or robe and white shirt. He is wearing a white hat and his beard is dyed black. There is no date on this video.

The senior official told NBC News that bin Laden had a gray beard when he was killed during the raid and seemed to have dyed his beard black for videos.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 7, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
I hate racial profiling, but I gotta admit, when I am someone in public and see a Muslim dressed in their traditional garb, I get that uneasy feeling. And I am in no way a racist or anything. In fact, one of my good friends in Muslim.

You're friends with President Obama?

He's still dead ... yes!

On a side note, I've often wondered why these MF terrorists have yet to attack a US sports stadium.

I know there was a movie about some stadium getting hit, so the idea has to be out there.

Some of these wildly successful college basketball or football teams ... can't you see "security" being lax midway through the third quarter of a football game at Nebraska or Bama or somewhere and bam a hit?

Or a Kentucky basketball game or something midway through the second half when "security" is watching the game. It's human nature for "security" at those games to think all is well way through the meat of the ballgame.

Just wonder why these scumbag MF terrorists haven't gone that route?

Of course I did read Bin Laden was planning on hitting a train route in the future in the US so these terrorist pricks must have continuous discussions of where to hit us.

I personally hope we can keep these bastards off our soil forevermore.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
Sadly, all that does is point out that Osama got exactly what he wanted out of those attacks. It's always been about numbers, not death tolls, with him.

I can't disagree with this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
He's still dead ... yes!

On a side note, I've often wondered why these MF terrorists have yet to attack a US sports stadium.

I know there was a movie about some stadium getting hit, so the idea has to be out there.

Some of these wildly successful college basketball or football teams ... can't you see "security" being lax midway through the third quarter of a football game at Nebraska or Bama or somewhere and bam a hit?

Or a Kentucky basketball game or something midway through the second half when "security" is watching the game. It's human nature for "security" at those games to think all is well way through the meat of the ballgame.

Just wonder why these scumbag MF terrorists haven't gone that route?

Of course I did read Bin Laden was planning on hitting a train route in the future in the US so these terrorist pricks must have continuous discussions of where to hit us.

I personally hope we can keep these bastards off our soil forevermore.

If it were the easy, it would have been done long ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)

Van%20Damme%20-%20Sudden%20Death.jpg

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
If it were the easy, it would have been done long ago.

I think there's one more element with Al Qaeda though...they're particularly interested in the spectacular attack. Their doctrine said that an enormous attack (which happens through the grace of their deity) would be the sort of thing that would bring the U.S. to its knees.

They've had some guys do the piecemeal stuff like trying to bring down a plane, but an attack that kills 10 at a stadium or mall just has never been their style

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
His goal was to bring down America.

He has failed.

To be more specific, he had stated goals of converting the West to Islam, stopping the West from being influenced by "the Jews", stopping the US from getting involved both militarily and politically in the Middle East, and to stop US citizens from practicing the acts of fornication, homosexuality, gambling, drinking, and trading.

Muslims have it worse than ever here in the US. I don't see a full-on conversion anytime soon, but that's me. Israel remains an ally that no politician dare denounce. We are now in 2 wars in the Middle East while trying to enforce our political ideologies. Fornication, homosexuality, gambling, drinking, and trading are all at an all-time high.

He has a bullet in between his eyes to show for all of this.

Not only did he not "win", I'm not sure anyone has ever failed harder.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
To be more specific, he had stated goals of converting the West to Islam, stopping the West from being influenced by "the Jews", stopping the US from getting involved both militarily and politically in the Middle East, and to stop US citizens from practicing the acts of fornication, homosexuality, gambling, drinking, and trading.

Muslims have it worse than ever here in the US. I don't see a full-on conversion anytime soon, but that's me. Israel remains an ally that no politician dare denounce. We are now in 2 wars in the Middle East while trying to enforce our political ideologies. Fornication, homosexuality, gambling, drinking, and trading are all at an all-time high.

He has a bullet in between his eyes to show for all of this.

Not only did he not "win", I'm not sure anyone has ever failed harder.

To be precise, I think he has a bullet in one of his eyes.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Am I the only one why someone last Monday or Tuesday didn't try to find some intel on where Osama's body was dumped into the sea and then try and get a dive crew (ie: searching for Titantic stuff) to try and find the body? I know it's probably more fantasy than realistic, but crazier things have been attempted.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Am I the only one why someone last Monday or Tuesday didn't try to find some intel on where Osama's body was dumped into the sea and then try and get a dive crew (ie: searching for Titantic stuff) to try and find the body? I know it's probably more fantasy than realistic, but crazier things have been attempted.

Yeah, I think you're the only one wanting to make a trip into the waters somewhere off of India/Pakistan in a small boat maneuvering through U.S. carrier groups.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 9, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
It won't be his body. His body is being held along with the aliens we've captured.

In an old box car in the desert on an indian reservation in New Mexico? Like on the X-Files?

Google Earth should help us find that. I'm in.