Build Around Phil Humber

Marty34

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows the complete mess we're in.

There's no way they're thinking about "building" around Humber. They simply want to see if he can put together one full season, first. That would be HUGE progress for him.

Undoubtedly, Floyd and Sale are in their plans for the 2012 rotation, and of course Peavy if he can't be moved. Otherwise, they'll just collect his insurance payoffs and apply it to any losses incurred for 2011.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 7, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
If Sale is truly in the rotation plans for 2012, he should be in the minors now, you know, starting.

Whenever we officially throw in the towel, Sale definitely needs to be sent down to get stretched out and Dayan needs to be playing every day in the majors.

As for the thread title, no one is building a team around Phil Humber though he's definitely earned a shot to keep starting the rest of the season or until he proves he's not good at baseball again.

The Sale thing really bugs me. If everything was going well now--team playing well, Sale pitching ok, and Thornton closing, then I could get behind Sale being in the bullpen.

With everything going wrong, Sale really needs to be sent down now and get him 20 starts in the minors this year.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
The Sale thing really bugs me. If everything was going well now--team playing well, Sale pitching ok, and Thornton closing, then I could get behind Sale being in the bullpen.

With everything going wrong, Sale really needs to be sent down now and get him 20 starts in the minors this year.

There's still time to get him 20 starts before the end of the year if we wait until the end of May to stretch him out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Building around Humber was tongue-in-cheek, but man there is BAD money all over the place. Is anyone comfortable owing Ramirez $31M through 2015? Viciedo $3.25M and Ohman $2.5M next year?

First of all, Viciedo won't be arb eligible next year so he'll only be owed $2.5 million. Secondly, why on Earth would you have a problem with those?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
First of all, Viciedo won't be arb eligible next year so he'll only be owed $2.5 million. Secondly, why on Earth would you have a problem with those?

you beat me to it, those are arguably the best contracts on the team to go along with Floyd and Beckham.

Viciedo is owed $3.25M next year. I don't think that's great for a guy who has 104 MLB AB's. Paying Ohman $2.5M to be a LOOGY on a team that will likely be going nowhere isn't great either. As far as Ramirez goes, he's not getting any better.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Viciedo is owed $3.25M next year. I don't think that's great for a guy who has 104 MLB AB's. Paying Ohman $2.5M to be a LOOGY on a team that will likely be going nowhere isn't great either. As far as Ramirez goes, he's not getting any better.

Will Ohman will get dumped fairly easily if anyone pays attention to the fact that lefties have a .654 OPS against him. Basically we just need Ozzie to stop having him pitch to righties or have antoher GM look at the numbers.

Why Does Alexei need to get better?

Viciedo is not owed $3.25 million next year.

2012 23 Chicago White Sox $2,500,000 May void season if arbitration is reached and is replaced with $3.5m team option

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)

We knew Viciedo would be a project when we signed him. Whether the team as a whole is good or bad, he will be very useful if everything pans out. Ohman, I don't believe we'd be stuck with nor would we be stuck with Ramirez, if we traded them, who would fill their role? We don't have minor league players to plug into EVERY position on the team, if we have mlb players on the roster, we have to pay them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Will Ohman will get dumped fairly easily if anyone pays attention to the fact that lefties have a .654 OPS against him. Basically we just need Ozzie to stop having him pitch to righties or have antoher GM look at the numbers.

Why Does Alexei need to get better?

Viciedo is not owed $3.25 million next year.

I think there's a good chance the last 2 years of Ramirez deal will be bad for the Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Those will be his 32 & 33 year old seasons and he's owed $19.5M combined. I think it's likely he'll be in decline those years.

Does he play Tennis? Soccer? What sort of historic backup do you have for MLB players declining when they reach age 32? Particularily players who don't rely solely on speed as their number #1 asset. A wispy character like Alexei should be completely fine playing into his late 30's.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 7, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Does he play Tennis? Soccer? What sort of historic backup do you have for MLB players declining when they reach age 32? Particularily players who don't rely solely on speed as their number #1 asset. A wispy character like Alexei should be completely fine playing into his late 30's.

I don't think he's worth $10M this year much less three or four years from now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)

Well, he has been a well above average defender at SS, displayed power from the position and is actually a pretty good hitter with a body type that would suggest he should age well.. and 32/33 isn't exactly an old timer these days lol.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

You do have a point, plus we really don't know if his age given is accurate. He came from the same place that said Jose Contreras is currently 39.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Then you didn't watch the team last year. Alexei might darn well have been our best player (even considering the year Konerko had)

Konerko was the best player on the team last year by a pretty good amount too. (Even if Ramirez was the best player on the team it wouldn't necessarily mean he was worth a lot more than $10M, by the way.) Ramirez was probably a distant second or third. That he was even a top 3 player might have been an indication that it was time to rebuild rather than go all in.