Why not? The official "Alex Rios Sucks" Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...rumblings110607

Alex Rios

As the Blue Jays' dump-his-contract-on-the-waiver-wire ploy proved a couple of years ago, Rios at his worst can be an exasperating fellow to have around. And Rios at his worst is pretty much what the White Sox have gotten this year. In fact, he's been the least productive middle-of-the-order hitter in the entire American League so far, if you measure production via Lee Sinins' Runs Created Above Average rankings.

The funny thing is, Rios is making more contact than in any season of his career -- but his average on balls in play (.205) is down 101 points from last year. Which tells you he's likely to come out of this one of these months, once he stops blaming the local Gatorade coolers.

"A lot of this is mechanical," said one scout. "He starts his hands real low, and he never gets in position to hit. By the time he does, the ball gets too deep on him and he can't do anything with it. But it's tough to watch. His body language is terrible. I hate watching him. He's a kid with so much ability, but he doesn't get the most out of it."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Both our CF and LF have taken steps back from last year.

It's a good thing that Quentin finally looks healthy and has been decent this year on defense.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
I really gave this guy a chance. I mean he's built to succeed. He just strikes me as an athlete who is happy to collect his paycheck and doesn't care much about winning, etc.

This, too. Never hated a player more on the Sox than this guy. Not Borchard, not Ritchie, not even Paniagua. Rios. Too bad there is not a chance in he'll of unloading that contract. We're stuck with him. He's our Soriano.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
This, too. Never hated a player more on the Sox than this guy. Not Borchard, not Ritchie, not even Paniagua. Rios. Too bad there is not a chance in he'll of unloading that contract. We're stuck with him. He's our Soriano.

Not even Javy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...rumblings110607

As the Blue Jays' dump-his-contract-on-the-waiver-wire ploy proved a couple of years ago, Rios at his worst can be an exasperating fellow to have around. And Rios at his worst is pretty much what the White Sox have gotten this year. In fact, he's been the least productive middle-of-the-order hitter in the entire American League so far, if you measure production via Lee Sinins' Runs Created Above Average rankings.

The funny thing is, Rios is making more contact than in any season of his career -- but his average on balls in play (.205) is down 101 points from last year. Which tells you he's likely to come out of this one of these months, once he stops blaming the local Gatorade coolers.

"A lot of this is mechanical," said one scout. "He starts his hands real low, and he never gets in position to hit. By the time he does, the ball gets too deep on him and he can't do anything with it. But it's tough to watch. His body language is terrible. I hate watching him. He's a kid with so much ability, but he doesn't get the most out of it."

Take it for what it's worth. I do hate his batting stance, tho.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Jose Guillen? That might be the most inapt comparison I've ever heard, unless you are alleging Rios is a juicer.

No, I'm alleging Rios like Guillen has bad body language and is lazy and a cancer.

And I meant just as the Royals were stuck with Guillen until somehow they shipped him to SF we are the same way stuck with Rios.

I really think some of you guys go way too far.

Does anyone really know that he is a lazy, terrible human being with a bad attitude?

I haven't read anything like that. If there is anything like that, please post it. I just see him struggle at the plate and get extremely frustrated. Yes, he is awful right now. He knows it, and he is pissed about it. Why all the lazy and "he doesn't care" comments? Seems like he is beating himself up over it, to me, if anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Both our CF and LF have taken steps back from last year.

Man, does anyone pay attention to splits? I know its trendy to bash on Pierre this season but here are his month-month splits

April - 111 AB: .243 / .286 / .270 / .556 - 5 SB 7 CS

May - 112 AB: .286 / .365 / .339 / .704 - 4 SB 1 CS

June - 18 AB: .278 / .409 / .444 / .853 - 1 SB 1 CS

Its hard to argue that he hasn't been helping the team since May 1st, Rios on the other hand...........

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)
I really think some of you guys go way too far.

Does anyone really know that he is a lazy, terrible human being with a bad attitude?

I haven't read anything like that. If there is anything like that, please post it. I just see him struggle at the plate and get extremely frustrated. Yes, he is awful right now. He knows it, and he is pissed about it. Why all the lazy and "he doesn't care" comments? Seems like he is beating himself up over it, to me, if anything.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:19 AM)

If people are using one incident like this, along with rumors, and observed body language to judge a man, to believe they know what his mindset is, they might want to take a look at the reasons they judge other people.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:19 AM)

As I have said time and time again, from what I was told by Blue Jays fans, that kid was given money by either the guy who runs the camera, or someone near the guy w/ the camera. The guy gave the kid money to go get autographs. I guess this guy is notorious for hounding down players and insisting on autographs and then sells the autographs to make money, and apparently is recognized by the players, so I guess this guy sent the kid over to do his bidding, and Rios recognized what was going on.

I don't remember if that is exactly right, it was almost 2 years now since I was told the story, but it's something along those lines.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
If people are using one incident like this, along with rumors, and observed body language to judge a man, to believe they know what his mindset is, they might want to take a look at the reasons they judge other people.

Hell i don't agree with it (i agree with your side) but it was bound to be posted if i didn't. So i just beat someone else to the punch.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
Hell i don't agree with it (i agree with your side) but it was bound to be posted if i didn't. So i just beat someone else to the punch.

I saw this video before we got Alex. When i first watched the clip, I just thought the fan was just rude. Now, I think the guy calling out Alex was right. He had hit his talent level right on the head. perhaps KW can find that guy and hire him as a scout. We could have saved a lot of money by heeding his advice.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I saw this video before we got Alex. When i first watched the clip, I just thought the fan was just rude. Now, I think the guy calling out Alex was right. He had hit his talent level right on the head. perhaps KW can find that guy and hire him as a scout. We could have saved a lot of money by heeding his advice.

Yeah, let's get irate fans that judge how good a player is based on how likely he is to autograph for a notorious autograph hound. Sounds good.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Yeah, let's get irate fans that judge how good a player is based on how likely he is to autograph for a notorious autograph hound. Sounds good.

All I got from the video was that he called Alex a bum.. As for when we picked Rios off of Waivers we wanted to keep I think Detroit from getting. If they would have succeeded they would have acquired him. Personally, I think once the leagues pitchers figure out a hitter's weaknesses it is up to the hitter to fix the holes in his swing. Alex unlike Dunn is not facing a different league he is being shut down by pitchers that he has already faced. I do however realize that us dissing him is not helping. paulie has adapted after going through some tough times at the plate.