Why not? The official "Alex Rios Sucks" Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Would you bet your house the White Sox were going to come back and win the AL Central?

I think not, even if you were more or a gambler than KW. You win, you have Anna Kournikova's or a Russian heiress' Florida mansion. Lose, and you're homeless. Take that bet?

20-25% odds of making it, well, maybe not "remote" but not close to good either.

You posted in the AL Central thread that no team in the division even has a 50% chance of winning the division. Would you bet the house on any team in the division winning? Odds are more than likely you are homeless. Take that bet?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J4L rule #1: Juan Pierre is to never be complimented. Even on the rare occasion he does something positive.

Rule #2: Make fun of and mock Wite at all times.

Rule #3: Don't use words I don't know the meaning of. I've never heard that word in my life.

Pedantic? Ah! Education hour, folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FVfg4KVms

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
J4L rule #1: Juan Pierre is to never be complimented. Even on the rare occasion he does something positive.

Rule #3: Don't use words I don't know the meaning of. I've never heard that word in my life.

Somebody doesn't watch Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPWQVGBVXKI

And for the record, StrangeSox was really, really, really correct.

Brian Anderson was a better offensive player than the version of Alex Rios the last 125 games or so, and he made nowhere near the cabbage Rios does, nor did he ever hit 5th or 6th.

I've been thinking the exact same thing since we acquired him. The way that whole thing was handled still makes me laugh.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Brian Anderson was a better offensive player than the version of Alex Rios the last 125 games or so, and he made nowhere near the cabbage Rios does, nor did he ever hit 5th or 6th.

His batting so high in the order really hurt today, obviously. Beckham, or anybody would have been a better choice to put behind Paulie. Ozzie needs to get the idea out of his head that Rios is a significant run producer.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Somebody doesn't watch Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPWQVGBVXKI

And for the record, StrangeSox was really, really, really correct.

I actually do watch that show. I either didn't see that episode or don't remember seeing it. That clip was funny, though. Good word by StrangeSox. I didn't know what the hell it meant. I had to look it up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)

As I regularly say to fathom, I try my best to pretend the summer of 2009 never happened. Wow. Peavy, Pena, Rios. Give me death.

He is the biggest waste of money that I can remember. In my entire Sox fandom, I don't think I have hated anyone more.

At least Dunn knows he's sucking and admitting. Rios doesn't seem to give a sh*t.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
As I regularly say to fathom, I try my best to pretend the summer of 2009 never happened. Wow. Peavy, Pena, Rios. Give me death.

And really, it's not as though there weren't warning signs regarding Peavy and Rios. These two moves alone should have gotten Williams canned.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 25, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
He is the biggest waste of money that I can remember. In my entire Sox fandom, I don't think I have hated anyone more.

At least Dunn knows he's sucking and admitting. Rios doesn't seem to give a sh*t.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)

Peavy: Why? He has a chance to be a major contributor to this team. I fully understand the injury risk and cost, but why do people want to think Clayton Richard was every really that good here?

Pena: Sox fans really need to stop this weird obsession with Brandon Allen. He's still in AAA. We're a below average team not because we're missing a slow corner position player who won't ever get a shot.

Rios: There are MAYBE 10 actual, legit CF's in baseball and he is one of them.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 26, 2011 -> 03:22 AM)
Peavy: Why? He has a chance to be a major contributor to this team. I fully understand the injury risk and cost, but why do people want to think Clayton Richard was every really that good here?

Pena: Sox fans really need to stop this weird obsession with Brandon Allen. He's still in AAA. We're a below average team not because we're missing a slow corner position player who won't ever get a shot.

Peavy: I can buy your argument. But I still hope we dump him on somebody. I'm assuming the Sox could use the money and Peavy is a huge injury risk at all times.

Pena: Yuk. Who cares about Allen. We're talking about Pena and he is abysmal.

Rios: Ugg. Legit CF? He's been average at best with the White Sox. This year he has been horrific.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)

I do not believe you are following numbers 1 and 2 very closely.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 25, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)

My problem with the Pena deal was not that we lost Allen but we could have kept Carrasco and avoided this whole mess in the first place.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what Allen becomes, he was one of our better prospects at the time and we traded him for a reliever with a bad track record. That's the issue most of us have. We could have used him in a package for a better player. We got bad value in return for him.

Also, having a left-handed power bat around wouldn't have been a bad thing, given the future uncertainty at 1B and DH at the time. It was a dumb trade then and remains a dumb trade today.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what Allen becomes, he was one of our better prospects at the time and we traded him for a reliever with a bad track record. That's the issue most of us have. We could have used him in a package for a better player. We got bad value in return for him.

Also, having a left-handed power bat around wouldn't have been a bad thing, given the future uncertainty at 1B and DH at the time. It was a dumb trade then and remains a dumb trade today.

Except a LH power bat doesn't mean anything unless he can put up those numbers in the majors without striking out 125 times and hitting .220.

We could stick Tyler Flowers and Joe Borchard in the line-up with Dunn, and we might not do anything but change the path of El Nino/La Nina....whatever that weather phenomenon is called these days.

I'm not sure Pena was a "bad value," I think it was more like he never reached his potential (blame it on COOP). It's not the move KW currently is losing sleep on, like the Swisher deals, Peavy, Dunn, Teahen, AJ, Linebrink, Pierre, Dunn, Rios, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)

Like who? What trade offers did KW turn down to get Tony Pena? You have no idea what other teams thought of Allen. Maybe he shopped him around the league and Pena was the best offer he got. A middle reliever under team control that he thought he could turn around.

The trade sucks cause Pena is still bad, and they haven't been able to improve him whatsoever, and he's still lingering on the MLB roster.

Tying up $17 million a year on an injury prone player (especially when he was currently injured) was not a smart move. For him to earn that money he would have to be a Cy Young candidate each year, and that risk is just too high. The players we gave up were decent, probably could have gotten a different starter for that haul, but it was the opportunity cost of tying up that payroll in an injured player that has hurt the Sox.

Pena just sucks, don't care too much for Allen even though it would be nice to have another option for LF/RF/1B, but he wasn't a big loss. It's just that Pena himself sucks.

Rios is not a legit CF, he has been awful for us 66% of his time here, and I mean AWFUL. His defense has been good, but it pretty much ends there, and for $12 million a year, he better give more than that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Like who? What trade offers did KW turn down to get Tony Pena? You have no idea what other teams thought of Allen. Maybe he shopped him around the league and Pena was the best offer he got. A middle reliever under team control that he thought he could turn around.

The trade sucks cause Pena is still bad, and they haven't been able to improve him whatsoever, and he's still lingering on the MLB roster.

Why would KW be shopping around Allen? What would be the rush to get rid of him? Given the future uncertainty at DH and 1B at the time, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Obviously, I have no idea what you could have gotten for Allen on his own. However, I'm sure you could have made a trade package more attractive by including him in it. That's my problem with the trade. We didn't have a strong farm system at the time and we gave up one of our more valuable prospects for a bad reliever we didn't need. That's why the trade sucked back then. Pena's performance is why the trade still sucks now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Why would KW be shopping around Allen? What would be the rush to get rid of him? Given the future uncertainty at DH and 1B at the time, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Obviously, I have no idea what you could have gotten for Allen on his own. However, I'm sure you could have made a trade package more attractive by including him in it. That's my problem with the trade. We didn't have a strong farm system at the time and we gave up one of our more valuable prospects for a bad reliever we didn't need. That's why the trade sucked back then. Pena's performance is why the trade still sucks now.

If they were shopping Allen, it was probably because the Sox figured out he wasn't that good, which is being vindicated by the fact he can't even make the AZ Dbacks right now.

All though I am curious to hear what Allen deals we turned down instead of Pena.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)

They could have decided that Allen would never cut it in the majors, so trade him while people still think he has potential. Almost the same reason why ARI probably traded Pena.

If our farm system is so bad, how valuable was one of our top prospects anyway? No one needs a bad reliever, but you could also use a decent set-up guy. They thought Pena could be that, and they obviously thought wrong and failed.